Getting A Thai Passport For A Newborn

My child will be born in a few weeks and I will want to get a Thai passport for her. She will probably be born in Malaysia, so getting a Malaysian passport is an option too. As I am English, that's a certainty for that passport.

How old does my daughter need to be before I can apply for her Thai passport? As I currently live in KL, would I be better using the Thai embassy there or can I take my newborn over the border on my or my Thai wife's passports to the Songkla passport office?

Cheers.

You will have to register the birth first at the local amphur or if abroad with the local authorities and the British and Thai embassy in that country. For a Thai passport you need a Thai birt certificate, if born in Malaysia only the Thai embassy there is allowed to issue the birth certificate! You cannot obtain one in Thailand itself.

Together with the birth certificate you can also apply for a Thai passport. Both parents will have to sign the papers, wich you can get from the Thai embassy. Both Thailand and the UK allow dual nationality. I'm not sure about Malaysian law.

When entering Thailand use the Thai passport.

Last but not least: congratulations, hope everything wil go well with the delivery.

Firstly get a Birth Certificate where the child is born. Then get it translated in the Thai Embassy or Consulate. After this show the mother's passport at the Embassy with the newborn's birth certificate.

This would enable you to get a passport for your child. Do not get the child's name endorsed in the mother's passport as you would have to anyways get a seperate passport for the child on growing up. Whatever gets sorted out in the first place is better.

I got a passport for my younger son the same way.

Congrat's for the soon to be new arrival.