Kitchen Sink U-bend Typical Price And Where To Buy

ihightower

What you see in the photo below was replaced today to a new one by our condo plumber.

All the item which was removed today as can be seen below:

imag0045i.jpg

Where the above items fit in place is under the kitchen sink and the u-bend fell off, so it required replacement.

I was hoping that it just required some tape and tightening... But, alas, no!!! the plumber said the whole thing has to be replaced due to it is very old.

What is the typical cost of buying the above items? Where can this be bought? Home Pro???

I was charged THB1,200 to replace the above items (which he bought for me) and to fix it (took less than 15 minutes for him). I feel I am overcharged. or Am I not? Also, was i cheated... may be this just required some tightening and he deliberately wanted to charge this exorbitant price.

Please advise.

Thank you.

To give you an idea where the above pieces fit.. The picture below is not our sink.. but just to give you an idea..

2v1b0xs.jpg

Edited by ihightower

This is what's called (in the UK) a bottle-trap. Back home they cost about 8 - 10 quid (4-500 Baht), I've not priced them here (never had to) but lets say they cost 5-700 Baht.

What was the failure? I've never seen a trap actually fail, they leak from the rubber seals but usually respond to a bit of tightening, and that Thai workman's mate, silicon :)

So, yes I suspect you're being somewhat over charged.

Yes

Home pro or any simular shop. They are a lot cheaper than in the UK

Normally just re-tighten..you didn't try?. Or remove, clean it and replace. You don't seem to be able to buy just the rubber joints here but you can use silicon instead. Yes guess he saw you coming. Normally a 'plumber' for plumber over here read anyone with two hands and most of his fingers, would be paid around 250Baht a day. Obviously a little more if he worked for himself, well he would try and get it.

Actually you should clean out the bottom bit now and again..if you are in the vacinity of Ngam Wong Wan Mall..I'd have done it for a beer!!!!!!!!!!

This could be a line of business for me...plumbing/ electrics etc.....ah but I might get 'asked to leave' and I quite like it here!!

The pipe on the left should have a U bend to stop the smell coming up from the drain.

And the old bottle trap had a air vent the new one has not, so with a U bend fitted on the left hand pipe you may find the water glugging when you let the water go from the sink

Edited by sometime

Looking at the photo of the old trap, it appears that the thread that attaches to the bottle part of the trap is broken. Maybe thats why the 'plumber' had to change the trap.

I agree with sometime, the pipe on the left should have a trap. The original trap was an anti-syphon bottle trap. The new trap has no anti-syphon device, therefore you might have some problems with the new trap 'glugging' and losing its water seal.

Personally, I don't think you were overcharged. Us plumbers are worth our weight in gold, :)