Withholding Tax..

Hi Guys,

I have recently started work witha new employee and am waiting for a work permit, meanwhile i am paying witholding tax and if my permit isnt recived before it is time for me to renew my marrige visa will this still count towards the 40k per month requiremwnt.

When i orignally appled for my marirrge visa in my old company then actually wanted to see the tax reciept and a stamp form declaring that i have paid tax on 40k per month for the last 3 month so do they actually pay the taxman this withholding tax ?

On a seperate note how long in advance can i renew marrige visa

thanks

bkk

Not sure about withholding tax, but yes immigration want to see that you pay tax over your salary is it is earned in Thailand with papers from the tax office.

You can extend your permission to stay as early as 30 days. Always extend early, in case you miss some documents etc. Extensions always start on the day your current permission ends.

There is more to tax than just withholding. You need to file a tax return by the end of March for the previous year.

Any employer you worked for last year is required to give you a form for the revenue office showing wages, withholdings and social security.

At the tax office you'll fill out form 91. They'll figure out how much you owe, and either collect more or have you sign for a refund. They'll give you a receipt.

I believe immigration will want to see the receipt when you apply for an extension.

If you don't have your work permit before you extend, immigration will want to see the Labor Office Form WP3. They give you that when the work permit is applied for.

Edited by TerryLH

Withholding tax is tax that is withheld (Surprise!) at the source of the income. E.g. your employer needs to deduct tax from your salary before they give it to you. Other examples are w/h tax deducted on the interest on bank deposits, as well as the tax deducted on dividend payments and so forth. The reason for this is that it is easier for the revenue department to collect the tax and ensure that the full amount is paid. If it wasn't withheld then at the end of the tax year they would have a difficult time getting paid from those people that don't have any money to pay. Withholding tax is not a catch all type tax, but just a way to make the tax man's job easier.

Maybe im getting a bit confused here.

Is withholding tax the same for people who have a work permit and for people who dont? Maybe i wrongly assumed that withholding tax is only for people who dodnt have a permit yet and when you do then it changes from withholding tax to income tax or is it the same thing?