Bail Bond

Negita43

So many men so many opinions! Is it really necessary to have a Bail Bond insurance?

I am going to be driving my girlfriends car - she has basic insurance and I'm pretty sure I can legally drive her car but the problem arises if I have an accident driving it. Does anyone have experience of having an accident with/without bail bond or any opinions about its usefulness?

Yes it is necessary in my opinion.

Depending of your GF's car off course but normally not so expensive to have a A class insurance where bail bond is normal included.

If you hurt somebody when driving the car rest assured that the injured party will demand compensation especially when you are a foreigner so for peace in mind get the insurance and it's only app. 1k pr month or so for a standard car. :)

Class A insurance is recommended for Thais as well as westerners. Then, if you happen to cause an accident, the insurance pays and handles the issue for you. It happens sometimes that a Thai driver who has made a mistake pays the victim some too, as an apology sort of. Some Thais would hope that westerners would do the same but I don't think they will, they will just think they are being ripped off

In over 300,00 km in over 40 provinces and soon 20 years in Thailand, I have never had anyone trying to rip me off, no police has ever stopped me wanting money for something I didn't do

having a serious accidents and accused of beeing in fault, post bail usually 200-500k baht, or call your insurance for bail bond. So I have either a bail bond insurance or 500k available within 30 minutes. :) dont like the monkey cage.

my friend had a bad bike accident, one thai casualty. bail 1 mill baht. took some time to find that much cash

If you are involved in an accident where there is a fatality, you will have to pay a bond of 200k Baht (from memory - when one of my staff killed a pedestrian a few years ago). You can either do this with cash, chanote, or if you are insured for this, the insurance company will front the money.

If you cannot come up with the bond, you will have to stay in the lock-up until either you come up with the money, or your court appearance.

So - IMO it is worth paying a little extra for bail bond insurance.

The required Bail Bond for foreigners is 200,000 Baht and 100,000 Baht for Thais – no comments please !

Without Bail Bond here in Thailand you are laying yourself open to spending some time in jail in cases of serious accidents – not something to be recommended.

For help with vehicle quotations please contact your own Broker : Thai Visa Insurance Brokers Here

The required Bail Bond for foreigners is 200,000 Baht and 100,000 Baht for Thais – no comments please !

Without Bail Bond here in Thailand you are laying yourself open to spending some time in jail in cases of serious accidents – not something to be recommended.

For help with vehicle quotations please contact your own Broker : Thai Visa Insurance Brokers Here

Is there any insurance who covers the 500'k bail?

Class A insurance is recommended for Thais as well as westerners. Then, if you happen to cause an accident, the insurance pays and handles the issue for you. It happens sometimes that a Thai driver who has made a mistake pays the victim some too, as an apology sort of. Some Thais would hope that westerners would do the same but I don't think they will, they will just think they are being ripped off

In over 300,00 km in over 40 provinces and soon 20 years in Thailand, I have never had anyone trying to rip me off, no police has ever stopped me wanting money for something I didn't do

Thanks for your reply BUT its not my car its my girl friends car and she has basic insurance. As I understand it the car is insured NOT the person so I don't see how I can get cover for damage to her car without her having to stop her current insurance which she doesn't want to do. If you know where I can get additional cover to cover damage to her car while I am driving I would be grateful to hear.

Yes there is - in theory one can get whatever one wants but 200,000 Baht is sufficient for motor vehicles

Thanks for your reply BUT its not my car its my girl friends car and she has basic insurance. As I understand it the car is insured NOT the person so I don't see how I can get cover for damage to her car without her having to stop her current insurance which she doesn't want to do. If you know where I can get additional cover to cover damage to her car while I am driving I would be grateful to hear.

Suggest to your g/f she gets better insurance. All she has now is the basic CTPL which is basically worthless - hence the 646 Baht cost !

Why not offer to pay for the insurance as it will not only protect you but also your g/f ?

Yes there is - in theory one can get whatever one wants but 200,000 Baht is sufficient for motor vehicles

disagree. local police set bail at what they want, not limited to 200k baht. just ad up accused offences and bail is suddenly 500k or 1 mill.

fatality 200k, fatality without bringing drivers lisence 200k, fatality reg plate light not working 200k, fatality horn not working (of course its not working after accident, bike is wrecked!!!) 200k baht, fatality rear tyre worn out 200k. Thats 1 mill baht bail or monkey cage.

Then ajakarn (prosecutor) may set more sensible bail, perhaps 6 months later

Real case, Prechuap Kirikarn

disagree. local police set bail at what they want, not limited to 200k baht. just ad up accused offences and bail is suddenly 500k or 1 mill.

fatality 200k, fatality without bringing drivers lisence 200k, fatality reg plate light not working 200k, fatality horn not working (of course its not working after accident, bike is wrecked!!!) 200k baht, fatality rear tyre worn out 200k. Thats 1 mill baht bail or monkey cage.

Then ajakarn (prosecutor) may set more sensible bail, perhaps 6 months later

Real case, Prechuap Kirikarn

I have seen a few of these over the years and always a 200k bail bond attached. Perhaps there are cases where the bail bond was higher, but to suggest that a broken horn had something to do with it, might be stretching it a little far.

Suggest to your g/f she gets better insurance. All she has now is the basic CTPL which is basically worthless - hence the 646 Baht cost !

Why not offer to pay for the insurance as it will not only protect you but also your g/f ?

seconded.

1st class insurance can be bought in addition to her existing compulsory CTPL. I would never drive her car without insurance to cover third parties damage, try hit a Benz and pay the bill. bail bond all the sudden becomes peanutmoney

seconded.

1st class insurance can be bought in addition to her existing compulsory CTPL. I would never drive her car without insurance to cover third parties damage, try hit a Benz and pay the bill. bail bond all the sudden becomes peanutmoney

Thanks again can you suggest a broker who I can speak with in English by phone (I'm in Nakhon Ratchasima) I don't think I'll find an english speaking one here. My girlfriend is a teacher but she is absolutely ignorant about car insurance she works for the government and has always had the basic insurance and because she is Thai sees no reason to change. I don't want to put her in the position where if I go back to UK next year she is forced to continue with Class A insurance when she doesn't want to pay for it

• 4 months later...

I would never drive a vehicle if it did not have more than the compulsory insurance.

It just is not worth the risk.

Having a sufficient insurance policy to protect you gives you peace-of-mind.

It also gives you the expertise of a large insurance company to protect you if you have an accident so no one can take advantage of your situation.

Car Insurance, four main groups;

1. Compulsory insurance, CTPL; Minimal cover required to legal on the road in Thailand. Provides up to 50,000 Baht medical cover to third parties involved in accidents. Does not keep you out of Jail or pay for damages to other vehicles. (Premiums range from approximately 600 to 1200 Bt.).

2. Third party only (and variations to include limited cover for your vehicle damages), pays for compensation and medical expenses (Up to 2 million per person) to others and damages to their vehicles. This policy includes a Bail Bond if the driver accidentally kills another person or seriously injures them. (Premiums range from 4,000 Bt. to 10,000 Bt.).

3. Second class; Same cover as Third party only and covers your vehicle if it damaged by fire or stolen (Premiums depend on value of vehicle insured).

4. Full Coverage, Fully comprehensive, First class; Pays for everything, including the repair costs for damages to your own vehicle (Premiums depend on value of vehicle insured).

Motorcycle insurance, three main groups;

1. Compulsory insurance, CTPL; Minimal cover required to legal on the road in Thailand. Provides up to 50,000 Baht medical cover to third parties involved in accidents. Does not keep you out of Jail or pay for damages to other vehicles. (Premiums range from approximately 300 to 650 Bt.)

2. Third party only, pays for compensation and medical expenses (Up to 1 million per person) to others and damages to their vehicles. This policy includes a Bail Bond if the driver accidentally kills another person or seriously injures them. (Premiums are less than 3,500 Bt.).

3. Full coverage, Fully comprehensive, First class; Pays for everything, including the repair costs for damages to your own vehicle. (Premiums depend on the value of the motorcycle insured).