Anyone See The Ocean Water In Patong Today?

grumpyoldman

Ocean waters containing low concentrations of phytoplankton appear blue, whereas ocean waters containing high concentrations of phytoplankton may have a wide range of colors - often green, brown, golden brown, or reddish.

OC_redtide3.jpgThe colors you have noticed, red-brown and yellow usually indicate abundant populations of a particular group of phytoplankton called dinoflagellates

(Info from another website)

Ocean waters containing low concentrations of phytoplankton appear blue, whereas ocean waters containing high concentrations of phytoplankton may have a wide range of colors - often green, brown, golden brown, or reddish.

OC_redtide3.jpgThe colors you have noticed, red-brown and yellow usually indicate abundant populations of a particular group of phytoplankton called dinoflagellates

More flagellates, more flagellates - I feel so subservient :):D:D

Having lived by the ocean all my life I am aware of that and guarantee you that is not the case, if it were you would see the same in Kalim, which you don't.

It's scheit, not blooms.

It is my understanding that Patong's sewage system did not keep up with the development.

That is definitely the case. It blows my mind when people defend Patong Beach. I assume that was what 'Chiang mai' was doing with his dig at Nai Harn. I seem to remember him getting a little upset before when I slated it. I know we all like different things, and it can be annoying when people are slagging those things off, but there can be no question what so ever that Patong Beach is a revoltingly dirty stretch of water, and why any long termer would use it confuses me to no end.

At the south end of patong beach is a polluted stream, at the north end of patong beach is a very large drain pipe it probably takes the water from a lot of the street drains in patong especially after its been raining.

If you go over the bridge at the south end of the beach road and follow the road to where it ends at low tide you will notice the reef is dead.

If you drive towards Kamala at the north end of patong beach at low tide the reef is dead there also.

Reefs do not die if the water is not polluted.

I think what people should remember is that the Thames river in London was considered an open sewer not that many years ago.

In Perth Australia the local governments used rubbish as landfill on swampy ground next to the Canning and Swan rivers which

leached chemicals and poisons into the rivers which has taken years to clean up.

I was watching a show about the rivers in the Indian sub continent recently and you would not believe how badly they are polluted.

Patong was just a sleepy little fishing village 40 years ago and has now turned into a popular tourist destination and the essential

services like electricity, water, drainage and sewerage are battling to catch up and i don't think they will for a long time unless they

put a hold on building blocks of apartments, there is going to be a problem to find tenants for the ones already built.

There are still beaches at the north and south ends of the island which are as good as any in the world as far as i am concerned.

That is definitely the case. It blows my mind when people defend Patong Beach. I assume that was what 'Chiang mai' was doing with his dig at Nai Harn. I seem to remember him getting a little upset before when I slated it. I know we all like different things, and it can be annoying when people are slagging those things off, but there can be no question what so ever that Patong Beach is a revoltingly dirty stretch of water, and why any long termer would use it confuses me to no end.

I'm not sure that I was/am defending anything, if the brown stuff in the bay is sewerage then the problem needs to be dealt with, but it seems to me from a more rational perspective that it might be better explained as algae as detailed in an earlier post. So my comments were in response to Hobc's where he made a sweeping statement about Patong being a sewer in more ways than one.

I'm not really that touchy about Patong being slagged off but I do dislike generalisations and the "my part part of the island is better than your part" mentality.

Patong is an open sewer in more ways than one, wait until it rains a real shit hole.

Where Patong goes, Nai Harn follows.

that quality air doing you right CM?

Have to admit that the air quality here currently seems less than perfect, but one thing is for sure, it's in a better state than Chiang Mai/Rai provinces right now so I'm quite happy, thank you.

Have to admit that the air quality here currently seems less than perfect, but one thing is for sure, it's in a better state than Chiang Mai/Rai provinces right now so I'm quite happy, thank you.

I understood from your handle you were/are in CM (?), that's why the comment.

I'm not really that touchy about Patong being slagged off but I do dislike generalisations and the "my part part of the island is better than your part" mentality.

Totally agree with you on that, it's just that the condition of Patong's water isn't a generalisation, it's a harsh reality.

Just to make this 'beat the sh*t out of Patong Beach' thread a bit less one sided, Ill reiterate what I said last time it was discussed.

The area from the sea to the road at the northern end of the beach is a cracking little spot. We time our visits to JungCeylon so we hit that area after 6pm. The whole area, is well lit so you can stay as long as you fancy. Most people have gone home for a 'Sh*t, shower, and shave,' ready for a night on the town, so there's always plenty of space. Fat tourists lobsterising themselves, are replaced by Thai lads with nets catching fish. The sea breeze is wonderful. Sunsets are often spectacular. A couple of cans of beer, some dubiously cooked meat and bag of sticky rice, what more do you need to pass a couple of hours.

Wouldn't feel right finishing on a positive note. This is a thread about Patong Beach after all. :D That area aside. You've got more chance of catching me in 'Soi Katoy' than you have on Patong beach during the day, or in the water at any time. Although I believe parts of my breakfast can often be seen floating by. :)

Ah I see, no matey, Phuket, Patong to be precise, Chiang Mai air's no good for my health I'm afraid.

Ah I see, no matey, Phuket, Patong to be precise, Chiang Mai air's no good for my health I'm afraid.

Hmmmm.......maybe a new handle then? How about "Bier Chiang"?