Lactose-free Milk In Bangkok

JayS

Our granddaughter, now seven months, was having problems that the local baby doc recommended lactose free milk.

The Isomil by Abbott labs is available at Tops and Tesco-Lotus, probably Villa, too, but we don't have such out here in the Rangsit area.

Don't know of baby formula helps with your Q, but go ahead and ask at the outlets if there's some other option.

Mac

post-32650-1267875623_thumb.jpg

Our granddaughter, now seven months, was having problems that the local baby doc recommended lactose free milk.

The Isomil by Abbott labs is available at Tops and Tesco-Lotus, probably Villa, too, but we don't have such out here in the Rangsit area.

Don't know of baby formula helps with your Q, but go ahead and ask at the outlets if there's some other option.

Mac

I must be missing something. I don't see where the OP is looking for baby formula. I assumed she was looking for lactose free milk for adult consumption.

Mac

I must be missing something. I don't see where the OP is looking for baby formula. I assumed she was looking for lactose free milk for adult consumption.

I am missing something too, isn't LACKASOY, or any type of Soy milk lacktose free?? :)

Gourmet Market do a good range of Soy, Oat and Rice milks that are all Lactose free but I'm not sure if they do an actual Lactose free milk, but it would be worth a look.

To those who are confused - Lactose free milk is real milk with lactase (an enzyme) added to it to convert the lactose in the milk to glucose, it tastes very similar to normal milk (just slightly sweeter) whereas Soy milk etc tastes very different.

Yes, i like for normal Milk that is lactose free. I cant stand soy milk and all the other "fake" milks.

Ill try gourmet market - hopefully i find it there.

Bear brand sold in cans are lactose free. Can be found in any major supermarket.

Yes, i like for normal Milk that is lactose free. I cant stand soy milk and all the other "fake" milks.

Ill try gourmet market - hopefully i find it there.

Bear brand sold in cans are lactose free. Can be found in any major supermarket.

Is "Bear Brand": milk, milk powder, or a milk alternative such as soy milk?

Like the above poster, I cannot stand soy milk, rice milk, or oat milk. I am lactose intolerant, but I would rather go without than drink cardboard (soy) or expensive water (rice/oat). I miss having cereal! I eat cheese every now and then purely for the calcium - I don't like the fat, but there is not much lactose in hard cheeses so it's ok in moderation.

I'm thinking to get my parents to send over some lactase enzyme - I'm not desperate but I definitely miss milk.

As mentioned above, lactase is a simple and cheap enzyme added to milk to convert the lactose to simpler, digestable sugars. Why it is not possible to find in thailand I have no idea, given than lactose free milk (milk + lactase) was cheap and very popular in Melbourne (based on how quickly it went from fully stocked to sold out in my local supermarket) and the rumour/fact that many asians are lactose intolerant.... anyone want to start an import business?? I'd be your best customer :-)

Bear brand sterilised milk in a small can. I would not say it is completely free of lactose, but boiling the milk breaks down part of it. Much will depend on your degree of intolerance.

I too am lactose intolerant, but I can drink a mug of fresh milk (Mejii brand) a day after boiling it. Like to add malt to the milk...

I noticed today that they had an Australian brand of Lactose free milk in Carrefour on Rama 4, sorry I can't remember the brand name.

It's in the 'farang food' isle with the organic items. I think it was about 80 baht a litre.

I noticed today that they had an Australian brand of Lactose free milk in Carrefour on Rama 4, sorry I can't remember the brand name.

It's in the 'farang food' isle with the organic items. I think it was about 80 baht a litre.

The one I used to buy was "Liddels". If you're right then you just made my decade! I've not been able to drink milk for nearly 4 years!

Let me ask a different question.

I sometimes I have small packages shipped to Thailand...CDs or DVDs I can't get here, for example. Would there be a problem in terms of a medical substance (lactaid pills) being shipped to Thailand?

• 6 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but thought some people might be interested to know that I found real lactose-free milk in Villa Market Hua-Hin on the weekend!

It's Liddels Low Fat Lactose Free Milk, just like I used to drink in Melbourne. At 120 baht per litre, it's quite a bit more expensive than the ~70baht equivalent it costs in Australia, but I'll happily pay the price to be able to drink milk again.

http://www.liddells....-milks/low-fat/

I only bought a couple of boxes, but was thinking today that I should have found who their distributor is and whether they deliver to anywhere in Bangkok. I might check out a few other Villa markets in Bangkok, as the Phloenchit one doesn't have it. Failing that I'll have to drive back to Hua Hin and buy out all their stock - it's long life milk so it'll keep.

• 3 weeks later...

Hurray!! :drunk:

Villa Market Sukhumvit Soi 11 is now stocking Liddells Lactose Free Milk, both full fat and low fat varieties, although I just put a large dent in their stock of the low fat variety :rolleyes:

A few weeks ago they were out of stock, but I found the price tag on the shelf and talked to the manager who told me that soi 49 also stocks it but was also out. It seems that Ploenchit does not stock it yet which is a shame as it's the only one within walking distance for me.

• 3 months later...