Nationwide...alert

srisatch

Nationwide have announced that they are IMPROVING your current account

This improvement means that once they issue a new Cashcard+ to you,you will NO LONGER be able to withdraw cash from ATMs abroad. Presently not clear if you will be able to withdraw cash 'In Branch'

So now you wont be able to use your card in the ATM and they still do not do faster payments AND they say'Please use Nationwide as your main account'!!!

And in Thailand I can transfer money from an ATM to any other Thai Account..........So much for London Financial Capital of the World!!

Please cal/write Nationwide and tell them how idiotic this is...............Of course means that you will have to use a debit card lilke other UK banks with exorbitant fees.

Neither have I.

Srisatch, do you have a link to this announcement?

I use, and have done since the account was opened, a Nationwide debit card; and pay no extra fees to Nationwide for doing so. Whether it's used for purchases in the UK or Thailand or cash withdrawals in the UK or Thailand.

Other than any fees charged by the ATM provider, in the UK or Thailand, over which Nationwide have no control, of course.

Isn't Cashcard their "basic" offering i.e uses Cirrus/Maestro? I have a Nationwide Flexaccount which uses the Visa debit card and there is no change whatsoever there afaik.

Do agree that it's v.poor that they still don't offer Faster Payments (main banks have had it for last 12-18 months). When I've asked about it, the staff seem to have little idea what's going on except to say it's still on trial.

They have also stopped paying interest on credit balances with Flexaccount (although doesn't mean much with base rates at 0.5% I guess).

I keep my money elsewhere and just use the Flexaccount on my visits to Thailand.

Cheers.

Edited by MarkyM3

Hasn't the free withdrawal facility with the Flex account from foreign banks been withdrawn?

The A&L have introduced a new card that does the same facility though.

Nationwide now pass on the VISA transaction charge to cardholders.

What's a Nationwide?

its the name of a bank in the UK, they have been giving free atm withdrawls to brits abroad, hence the concern

It's actually the name of a Building Society (a "Savings & Loan" if you're from the USA).

Regrettably this is quite straightforward.

Letters received from Nationwide March 6th 2010

It says they are improving the account. The letter and leaflet state IN BOLD..YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE YOUR NEW CARD TO WITHDRAW CASH OVERSEAS...but you will be able to use the new card in shops (some!!) overseas

They have decided that they will no longer bear the costs of free cash withdrawals...However it seems ridiculous that you cannot withdraw cash AT ALL even by paying a fee!

It relates to current accounts. ie Flex Accounts

Presently a cashcard on these accounts can be used without a fee either from the \UK Bank..Nationwide nor from a Thai Bank.This is through Cirrus. If you are using a Debit Card you are probably paying a fee. through Visa or Mastercard.........

Extraordinarily unhelpful move by Nationwide

It says they are improving the account. The letter and leaflet state IN BOLD..YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE YOUR NEW CARD TO WITHDRAW CASH OVERSEAS...but you will be able to use the new card in shops (some!!) overseas

They have decided that they will no longer bear the costs of free cash withdrawals...However it seems ridiculous that you cannot withdraw cash AT ALL even by paying a fee!

Presently a cashcard on these accounts can be used without a fee either from the \UK Bank..Nationwide nor from a Thai Bank.This is through Cirrus. If you are using a Debit Card you are probably paying a fee. through Visa or Mastercard.........

What a muppet !

Do not read this crap. Flexaccount's have a VISA card with all the international benefits associated with it.

Flexaccount holders worry not.

Srisatch - if you do not understand the letter go read the website. And stop typing in CAPITALS.

Edited by Chaimai

Flexaccount's have a VISA card with all the international benefits associated with it.

Be prepared to see international benefits for using any VISA card sharply reduced in the coming months. You are about to see increased fees for both the owners of the cards and for the shops that accept foreign issued cards. Expect to see more and more shops refuse to accept cards issued from another country and be prepared to see more fees for using such cards outside the issuing country.

Flexaccount's have a VISA card with all the international benefits associated with it.

Be prepared to see international benefits for using any VISA card sharply reduced in the coming months. You are about to see increased fees for both the owners of the cards and for the shops that accept foreign issued cards. Expect to see more and more shops refuse to accept cards issued from another country and be prepared to see more fees for using such cards outside the issuing country.

This is your sixth sense, or you have some evidence for this ??

In the contect of the VISA transaction charge, for Nationwide Flexaccount customers, I seriously doubt that they would hike the charge twice in a year.

Flex Account

Commission-free card use abroad

We are the only high-street provider that doesn't charge you commission if you use your card abroad*. Some competitors charge up to 2.75% for buying goods or services and withdrawing cash abroad.

* We will pass on a Visa charge for foreign transactions outside of the Visa Europe Region.

Foreign Transactions

Cash Card Fees

No. Initially, only Visa debit card transactions will have a fee applied. Your cash card is run by a different provider and is only available for withdrawing cash (it does not have facilities to make purchases online or at retailers). Our Cash Card Account is our Basic Bank Account and is available/suitable for customers who meet the Basic Bank Account criteria.

What a muppet !

Do not read this crap. Flexaccount's have a VISA card with all the international benefits associated with it.

Flexaccounts can have either a Visa Debit card attached to them OR a Cash card. It depends what you asked for when you opened the account. The difference is that using a Cash card means that you cannot overdraw on your Flexaccount whereas a Visa Debit card allows you to go into the red.