Buddha Back To Thailand

Ark

Hi. Someone in the general forum suggested I use this forum.

My wife brought her personal Buddha (145 mm high) to Australia when she came here 14 years ago. Did not declare it ex Thai or in to Aus.

She went back to Thailand 3 months ago while I close up over here preparatory to moving to Thailand, and told me to bring it over when I come. HOWEVER--enquiries at Sydney Thai Consulate told me to contact Thai Ministry of Fine Arts as they authorised Buddha imports. Can not get them on their web address. Any help from anyone on how to proceed??? One suggestion from general Forum was to just bring it???

Thanks

ARK

There's no prohibition on bringing Buddha images into Thailand, and as a Buddhist your wife was permitted to bring one when she went to Australia. In any event, there is no Customs Declaration form required on entering Thailand. It'll be cool.

There's no prohibition on bringing Buddha images into Thailand, and as a Buddhist your wife was permitted to bring one when she went to Australia. In any event, there is no Customs Declaration form required on entering Thailand. It'll be cool.

Sounds logical. Many Thanks

ARK

Hi. Someone in the general forum suggested I use this forum.

My wife brought her personal Buddha (145 mm high) to Australia when she came here 14 years ago. Did not declare it ex Thai or in to Aus.

She went back to Thailand 3 months ago while I close up over here preparatory to moving to Thailand, and told me to bring it over when I come.  HOWEVER--enquiries at Sydney Thai Consulate told me to contact Thai Ministry of Fine Arts as they authorised Buddha imports. Can not get them on their web address. Any help from anyone on how to proceed??? One suggestion from general Forum was to just bring it???

Thanks

ARK

As far as the Thai gov't is concerned, the more Buddhas the better ... :o

There's no prohibition on bringing Buddha images into Thailand, and as a Buddhist your wife was permitted to bring one when she went to Australia.

With all the farang Buddhists around these days, how would they know who is one and who isn't? I remember in the late 70s the customs people always opened my bags when I left the country, supposedly looking for Buddha images but probably looking for something else.

They are a bit funny with Buddha statues - but that is mainly exporting them. The idea is that they should be used for religious purposes and not for decoration, or as in a case a few years ago, propping up shoes in a shoe shop window. As for bringing them back in ... who knows. If there is a Thai lady bringing it in I imagine that there would not be a problem, but if it is absolutely crucial, then you can write to the Buddhist and culture ministry - they are usually very co-operative in writing the appropriate letter.