How Can I Network A Lap Top And Desktop?

RDN

I've got a old lap top with a modem - which is what I am using right now. My g/f has a new desktop. Both are running XP.

I cannot get a second phone line in my area - no numbers left :o .

So I was wondering if I can connect them together so that she can also access the Internet, but via my laptop's modem.

Any pointers to where to start reading gratefully received!

I've got a old lap top with a modem - which is what I am using right now. My g/f has a new desktop. Both are running XP.

So I was wondering if I can connect them together so that she can also access the Internet, but  via my laptop's modem.

Hi RDN,

The easiest way would be to directly connect the 2 comps through ethernet network cards, which the laptop should have as standard and almost all desktops have nowadays. Just get your self a ethernet cable with RJ45 connectors connect them up. Then on your desktop internet connection click on the properties and click the advanced tab and under Internet Connection Sharing check the boxes needed! I hope this resolves your problem..

Cheers..

Thairish

Two network cards with a cross-over network cable should do the trick, but you're going to have to be near each other (depending on the length of the cable).

If not, may have to go the more expensive wireless route, which will include a wireless router.

I have a laptop (Windows XP) and a desktop (Windows XP) connected together with Bluetooth. I can connect the desktop to the internet via my laptop using the bluetooth connection between the two computers. A little "tricky" to set up, but it works.

Two network cards with a cross-over network cable should do the trick, but you're going to have to be near each other (depending on the length of the cable).

If not, may have to go the more expensive wireless route, which will include a wireless router.

Exactly,

The ony thing you may want to think about is buying a cheap Hub (I think about 1000 Baht now) and then you can use standard Cat 5 cable with RJ45 terminators, and not worry with crossover cable. It may be difficult to explain in the shop.

Then you can see which ones are talking. easier than turning around the machines all the time.

There is a wizard you can run to set up the machines

So I was wondering if I can connect them together so that she can also access the Internet, but  via my laptop's modem.

Since you have anyway to buy network cards, you might as well buy wireless ones, a bit more expensive but will allow you to use the internet without being next to your GF... :D:D

Hi RDN,

Everyone is giving you good advice- but may be a little tough to understand / figure out. The RJ45 cable is the cheapest option, and quite a reasonable one, if your laptop and computer are equipped. Max speed is 100 Mb/s.

You will want to look for a socket on your laptop that looks like the socket where you plug the telephone line to the modem, only bigger. It is probably right next to the modem / telephone socket if you have it.

Look for the similar plug on the back of your desktop PC. Most new motherboards do indeed have it- usually near the USB sockets.

If both computers have this "oversized phone jack", you are in business. All you need is a cable available from most computer stores. Tell them you want a category 5 network cable that has been crossed. If you tell them "no hub - computer to computer" they will know exactly what you are after. Most shops have them ready made in 2,3,5,10 and 25 meter lengths. They may also be able to make one for you if you want a longer one or custom length.

If you don't have the sockets- you can get a PCMCIA card for your laptop (if your laptop has PCMCIA slot, almost certain) and a network PCI card for your computer to add the network capability. Alternitavely you could go with more expensive wireless components if you are having to buy cards.

Hope this helps :-)

Thanks for all the excellent advice! I've had a look at the back and sides of my Dell CPxJ650GT lap top, and amazingly there is no RJ45 connector :D . I also had a look at Device Manager within Computer Management, and there doesn't appear to be anything related to networking.

So, thanks to Bino, I'll have a look for a PCMCIA network card as I do have a spare PCMCIA slot. This card would come with an RJ45 connector on it I presume. (The connector would be quite big considering the thickness of the card :D ).

The new desktop clearly has a network card in it, so a crossed CAT5 cable should get them talking at a low level. I just need to figure out what to do with the software so the desktop can share the lap top's modem's Internet connection.

Thanks, Mattnich, I understand about hubs - the LEDs are very useful for diagnostics. But I'll be gettting a new desktop for myself one day soon (I hope) so don't want to spend too much on the lap top solution. Although a hub might be useful in the future. Oh dear, decisions, decisions :D .

And thanks Thairish and Mattnich - I found the Network Setup Wizard. This should be a doddle!

Tomorrow I'll check out the PCMCIA Networks cards.

Thanks everyone. :o

So, thanks to Bino, I'll have a look for a  PCMCIA network card as I do have a spare  PCMCIA slot.  This card would come with an RJ45 connector on it I presume.  (The connector would be quite big considering the thickness of the card :o ).

I used a PCMCIA card with my previous laptop to connect it to the office network. It included a "dongle" like cable adapter that has the fat RJ45 connector in a housing and a short 6 inch cable with a wide skinny plug to fit the visible side of the PCMCIA card on the other side. The connector housing had power and data transfer LED's... so that you could see that everything was working ok.

I've also seen some PCMCIA cards that have a fat end "sticking out" of the PCMCIA slot with the RJ45 connector.

I used a PCMCIA card with my previous laptop to connect it to the office network. It included a "dongle" like cable adapter that has the fat RJ45 connector in a housing and a short 6 inch cable with a wide skinny plug to fit the visible side of the PCMCIA card on the other side. The connector housing had power and data transfer LED's... so that you could see that everything was working ok....

Now, that one sounds perfect :D , I'll see if I can find one of those. :o

The new desktop clearly has a  network card in it, so a crossed CAT5 cable should get them talking at a low level. I just need to figure out what to do with the software so the desktop can share the lap top's modem's Internet connection.

forgot to mention this in the last post-

On your laptop with XP- go to Start Menu--> Connect To --> Show all connections.

Right click on the Icon of your ISP and choose Properties.

Open the last tab on the top of the properties window "Advanced".

Check the box for "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection", and follow the directions.

Dead easy. :o

Was actually shopping for some network stuff the other day. A compex 8 port 10/100 switch was only 750 baht. A compex PCI LAN card was only 180 baht. Along with two lengths of CAT5 lan cable, the total was 1000 baht.

A wireless setup is nice, but it's not cheap. A PCI wireless card costs nearly 2000 baht in itself, not to mention the access point, which is around 3000 (for wireless G).

PCMCIA (notebook) versions, of course, are more expensive than PCI adapters.

I’ve got a wireless router on my broadband connection. Wireless network card in my laptop and in my desktop.

Both machines can talk to each other and the internet. I can access the internet anywhere in the house or the garden with my laptop.

Any hardware updates are no problem, just swap the network cards.

Having a wireless network card on your laptop is quite useful in BKK, as there are several wireless access points throughout the city, most notably at the airport.

Wireless networking is to networking what colour television is to broadcasting. Once tried you’ll never go back to the black and white screen (read: lengthy, inflexible, cumbersome Ethernet cables).

Edited by Thomas_Merton

...forgot to mention this in the last post-

On your laptop with XP-  go to Start Menu--> Connect To --> Show all connections.

Right click on the Icon of your ISP and choose Properties.

Open the last tab on the top of the properties window "Advanced".

Check the box for "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection", and follow the directions. 

Dead easy.    :D

At the moment, I haven't run the Network Setup Wizard past the first screen, but I can see one of the options is what you say. I'll do that bit after I've installed the PCMCIA card. Thanks again :D

Was actually shopping for some network stuff the other day.  A compex 8 port 10/100 switch was only 750 baht.  A compex PCI LAN card was only 180 baht.  Along with two lengths of CAT5 lan cable, the total was 1000 baht.

A wireless setup is nice, but it's not cheap.  A PCI wireless card costs nearly 2000 baht in itself, not to mention the access point, which is around 3000 (for wireless G).

PCMCIA (notebook) versions, of course, are more expensive than PCI adapters.

Yes - as I've just found out. I have done a Google for PCMCIA LAN card prices and D-Link do one for about $30, so that's about t 1200 baht. Still, not too bad :o .

I’ve got a wireless router on my broadband connection. Wireless network card in my laptop and in my desktop.

Both machines can talk to each other and the internet. I can access the internet anywhere in the house or the garden with my laptop.....

Now, that sounds a very nice setup. I am uncertain as to whether in the future I should get a desk top or another laptop. I quite fancy surfing outside in the cool night air, but those damm mozzies could be a problem. :D

Status so far:

I bought a D-Link DFE-690TXD 32 bit 10/100 Mb PC Card (1240 baht):

33-127-111-01.JPG

and 6 metres of CAT5 cable with a cross-over in it.

Installed the PCMCIA card in the lap top and plugged the cable into both PCs. Then ran the LAN card installation CD. The Link/Activity LED shows 100Mb active.

Then ran the Network Setup Wizard on the lap top and all seemed OK.

Did the same Network Setup Wizard on the desk top.

On the desk top I can see this:

wan38xp.jpg

But on the lap top I get this:

rdn36sj.jpg

So the LAN cards are happy, but Windows isn't. :o

The desk top has a gateway address which is the same as my LAN card's IP address (192.168.0.1), so that seems to make sense, but I don't know why my lap top gives this error

MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of  this server to find out if you have access permissions.  The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available

Any help gratefully received!

Hi RDN,

your network settings seem OK. The one thing I would suggest to verify is that both computers have the same "Workgroup" name. I'm noticing that the desktop workgroup is Mshome whilst the laptop is MSHOME. These may be case sensitive and causing your problem... not sure.

From the desktop- click on

My Network Places --> Entire Network --> Microsoft Windows Network --> Mshome

Is there an Icon for your laptop? Or only "Wan's desktop"?

You should be seeing two icons here- one for each computer.

Rename the workgroups to a unique name- can be anything. I called mine the MEKHONG workgroup. Use all caps in your workgroup name on both computers.

To change the workgroup name, go to Control Panels (classic view) --> System.

Choose the tab for "Computer Name", and click the button to rename the computer.

Hope this helps- let us know if it doesn't. Can come up with more suggestions.

Hi RDN,

your network settings seem OK. The one thing I would suggest to verify is that both computers have the same "Workgroup" name. I'm noticing that the desktop workgroup is Mshome whilst the laptop is MSHOME. These may be case sensitive and causing your problem... not sure.

Rename the workgroups to a unique name- can be anything. I called mine the MEKHONG workgroup. Use all caps in your workgroup name on both computers.

Choose the tab for "Computer Name", and click the button to rename the computer.

Hope this helps- let us know if it doesn't.  Can come up with more suggestions.

I am now running on my backup hard drive, as I totally f***ed my original drive!

I did something that cause d the "Windows logon" screen to appear after rebooting. This screen presented me with the user name 'Default' and wanted a password. I don't ever recall entering a password so I was f***ed!

I tried everything I could - admin, administrator, blank, password, etc - but I was locked out and had to go back to my one month old backup..

Fortunately, every time Windows starts on my PC it backs up my emails and other important stuff to my D drive - so I've only lost about the last 24 hours of emails.

Still , I would really like to get back to using the other C drive if I could only get around this logon screen.

Any ideas?

What I did to cause this - and my memory is not 100% because I was trying lots of things to establish the network - was something in the "My Computer / Properties / Network ID" process. I did it fine on the g/f's desk top and it starts OK - doesn't ask for a password.

But something went wrong with my lap top when I told it to join a domain - and I'm definitely not going to try it again on this hard drive until I've done a fresh backup to CD! :o

So, any ideas if it is possible to get around the window logon screen? Or is there a default password?

Hi RDN,

I am now running on my backup hard drive, as I totally f***ed my original drive!

I did something that cause d the "Windows logon" screen to appear after rebooting. This screen presented me with the user name 'Default' and wanted a password. I don't ever recall entering a password so I was f***ed!

I tried everything I could - admin, administrator, blank, password, etc - but I was locked out and had to go back to my one month old backup..

Fortunately, every time Windows starts on my PC it backs up my emails and other important stuff to my D drive - so I've only lost about the last 24 hours of emails.

Still , I would really like to get back to using the other C drive if I could only get around this logon screen.

Any ideas?

What I did to cause this - and my memory is not 100% because I was trying lots of things to establish the network - was something in the "My Computer / Properties / Network ID" process. I did it fine on the g/f's desk top and it starts OK - doesn't ask for a password.

But something went wrong with my lap top when I told it to join a domain - and I'm definitely not going to try it again on this hard drive until I've done a fresh backup to CD! :o

So, any ideas if it is possible to get around the window logon screen? Or is there a default password?

(I havn't edited the quotes because IMHO all of the info above is relevant)

RDN, these are problems I have had, tried every one of several permutations to solve, and often ending in the same situation you are in now.

Fundamentally there is a problem in XP’s network setup wizard. If you are lucky enough to have set up all parameters correctly before you start the wizard, then it will work successfully. What it is lousy at, is detecting problems and giving the user information on how to solve these problems.

Systematically going through the whole procedure, setting up all the parameters – these include adjusting any firewall restrictions and being aware of the ip addresses of the network connections to both (any) machines, is the only way you will get things to work. You need a guide for this. Try www.teoma.com and search for e.g. “setting up an Ethernet network with xp”. You should be able to find something that fits your setup.

What you need to solve the logon screen problem (or any future problems relating to the administrator password) is a windows boot disk (cd) with some tools and utilities on it. There are several Warez versions of these around, containing a windows xp shell and utilities to change the administrator’s password, plus do considerably more to repair a damaged xp system. If you want to be 100% legitimate, then you must buy a copy of Erd Commander.

IMHO nobody who seriously uses and depends on Windows XP should be without one of these boot CDs.

Why you have the logon problem suggests to me some trouble with the user settings on your machine (plus your error of choosing a domain – you are only setting up peer-to-peer networking and will not be using a domain server). XP possibly needs some adjustment to the user accounts and their activation – parameters that you would not normally touch if you are the only user of your machine and you are not networked.

These matters should be covered in your “guide” found via Teoma – using Teoma is a much more efficient way to solve these problems than Google (or even TV!).

Hope all this is not too confusing.

Best of luck,

TM

Edited by Thomas_Merton

Any ideas?

What I did to cause this - and my memory is not 100% because I was trying lots of things to establish the network - was something in the "My Computer / Properties  / Network ID" process. I did it fine on the g/f's desk top and it starts OK - doesn't ask for a password.

Did you type in 'Administrator" and no password? Often computers are set up w/ no password for the admin.

On your network problem I'd suggest being sure that simple file sharing is implemented thru file explorer | tools | folder options. Also check to see that you have file sharing on the internection connection | properties.

Why you have the logon problem suggests to me some trouble with the user settings on your machine (plus your error of choosing a domain – you are only setting up peer-to-peer networking and will not be using a domain server). XP possibly needs some adjustment to the user accounts and their activation – parameters that you would not normally touch if you are the only user of your machine and you are not networked.

These matters should be covered in your “guide” found via Teoma – using Teoma is a much more efficient way to solve these problems than Google (or even TV!).

Hope all this is not too confusing.

Best of luck,

TM

Not at all confusing and thanks very much for your detailed post. I too think I screwed it up by choosing a domain - instead of a workgroup? - and remember a long time ago having this problem at my workplace. (Doh! Some people never learn :D ).

I'll search for the things you recommend and get myself a bit more educated.

But first, I must make a CD backup of the C: drive I'm currently using - in case it goes pear-shaped again. (I'm so glad I bought 2 of them). I've already improved my start-up backup script so I copy everything of importance to my D drive (My Documents, Identities (email) and Desktop), so one more CD backup will get me feeling safe again.

I guess if I changed the way the PC starts (normally no passwords are necessary, the machine simply starts), at least I will know what the Administrator and Default user's passwords are, so that if the problem arises again, I will be able to continue.

Butt first things first - get the backup done.

Thanks again for your help. :o

Did you type in 'Administrator" and no password? Often computers are set up w/ no password for the admin.

On your network problem I'd suggest being sure that simple file sharing is implemented thru file explorer | tools | folder options. Also check to see that you have file sharing on the internection connection | properties.

I believe I did try that, but in the panic to figure out what to do next, maybe I didn't. I can certainly swap harddrives and give it a go. Thanks for the other tips too.

MrSixpack,

worship6ox.gifworship6ox.gifworship6ox.gifworship6ox.gifworship6ox.gifworship6ox.gif "Administrator", no password!

Now that I'm back in, I can try to sort out the network!

If you're ever in Phuket, I'll buy you a few beers!

Hi RDN,

Hi RDN,

Gald to hear that you got your computer opened again! Heart stopping experience, yeah?

The Login screen arrived because you chose to make the computer a member of a domain instead of a workgroup. Login is required for domains.

Follow the steps I outlined above- being sure to choose the second button- Rename Computer and not Network ID.

If this doesn't work out- I can walk you step by step to configure it manually.

The rest of Sixpack's advice is good- worth checking out (although the wizard should have set these for u).

Edited by bino

Now that I'm back in, I can try to sort out the network!

One thing you might want to try, RDN, is unchecking the Internet Connection Firewall box in your Local Area Connection. It's impossible to share any files between networked computers running Windows XP without doing this. Why Windows doesn't tell you this is beyond me.

Another thing that might help is if your Local Area Connection properties are setup to let windows handle it. As in windows auto assigns your domain and IP address rather than manul entry on both PCs. Most of the time this way works..

:o

Hi RDN

Try this link for useful information.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network11.htm

I have just spent about 20 minutes on this site and I have learnt a lot for my future network.

Cheers

billd766

:D

Just in case you're wondering what the current state of play is with my lap top and network.... I'm having a bit of trouble creating a Norton ghost image of my C drive on CDs. It worked fine about a month ago, but I've had it fail on disc 5 during the image integrity check, and on disc two - on another set - during the restoration phase (even though it passed the integrity check :D ).

So the network fixing is on hold until I can get a Ghost image done, and restore it successfully to my spare drive.

I'll then work on the spare drive to try to fix the network.

So thanks to bino, melus, Thairish and billd766 for the latest posts - I haven't replied because I've been off-line feeding CD-R's into my PC :o .

I'll have another go in half an hour. :D

Just  in case you're wondering what the  current state of play is with my lap top and network....

I had been wondering as a matter of fact... figured no news was good news and you had it sorted.

Let us know if u have probs- we can try helping to get you hooked up!