Gyms In Pattaya

inzman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an excellent one at Jomtien Nivate which is on the hill on Thappraya Road - called Relax(?) (I was always there but now not sure of the name.)It is across the road from the Jade House! Has an air conditioned and unair conditioned exercise areas, sauna and it not expensive and the staff are good.

Tony's Gym (three locations I believe) will have a decent 1 year membership price . The large gym on 3rd Avenue has an "annex" across the street which is quiet from the main building. The good thing about this gym is that it also has a large pool, steam room and sauna. It isn't as "trendy" or new like CA WOW but it does offer more than just a gym to work out in. (membership price is less than CA WoW)

Next would be CA Wow but the music may be too loud for you and by evening it gets full of vacationing "grunters" and Thai chicks who like to sit around a make it a social scene. The visitors there don't put the equipment away and the "trainers" are there only to get more people to join or sign up for training sessions. (I still get asked to join though I have been going to this gym for 3 years). Morning is more quiet. It does not have a pool or sauna and you have to provide your own lock and towel. The equipment is the latest and it is the trendiest gym in Pattaya. They like to bargain with their membership fees..right now it is 11,000 baht for a lifetime membership only in Pattaya...but this price can change daily.

In North Pattaya there is also the Fairtex gym which is 3-4 years old. It is on the quiet side since CA opened up. It has tennis courts, a pool, climbing wall, small sauna and steam room, and a nice staff. The membership tends to be on the expensive side...but should be less than 16,000 baht a year. Clean and new.

Yes, there are the smaller ones in town... one in Jomtien that does not have AC and the equipment is old.

Some of the hotel gyms are more quiet and have a more professional staff but they tend to be more expensive. The annual membership at the Dusit Hotel in North Pattaya (old equipment but good cardio machines) runs around 20,000 baht!!! The place hasn't replaced their gym equipment for 10 years but only invests in advertising "D-Fit" as they call it. Great staff.

The Mariott Hotel also has a decent gym that would be on the "quiet side" - expensive also.

If money isn't a problem, then you want to go to a gym that is close to your apartment or it will be too easy to find excuses not to go.

Before you pay for a annual membership, all gyms will allow you to try it for a few days free.

Tony's Gym (three locations I believe) will have a decent 1 year membership price . The large gym on 3rd Avenue has an "annex" across the street which is quiet from the main building. The good thing about this gym is that it also has a large pool, steam room and sauna. It isn't as "trendy" or new like CA WOW but it does offer more than just a gym to work out in. (membership price is less than CA WoW)

Yeah I've been a member of Tony's gym for nearly 2 years now. He has 3 but I normally go to the one on third road opposite Xyte. I think its slightly better for weights than his larger gym on the corner or third road and Pattaya Thai. There is more room between equipment, sometimes at his main gym you cannot lift until the person beside you has stopped.

However he is raising prices. Annual membership has jumped from 6000 baht to 8000 baht. Lifetime membership from 20,000 baht to 28,000 baht. Also he has introduced a 'bring your own towel' policy. He has a poster up saying how the theft of towels was costing him 60,000 baht per month. I cant really see how so many towels could have been going missing, especially since you have to hand in your membership card to get a towel and you dont get the card back unless the towel comes back, but if Tony says so then it must be.

Anyways the reason for these measures is because he is building a new 'awesome' gym thats gonna be the best in Pattaya ..etc...etc..... Its going to be located opposite his main gym now on third road, beside his Pattaya 'hotel' place. A few months ago I saw that it was going to open in March 2010. That poster went away and was replaced with one that says 'opening in 2010'. The last few days I've noticed a structure going up at that location so I assume its getting built now. All existing members will have access to it. I've no idea how good it will be or what equipment/facilities will be there.

Yeah I've been a member of Tony's gym for nearly 2 years now. He has 3 but I normally go to the one on third road opposite Xyte. I think its slightly better for weights than his larger gym on the corner or third road and Pattaya Thai. There is more room between equipment, sometimes at his main gym you cannot lift until the person beside you has stopped.

However he is raising prices. Annual membership has jumped from 6000 baht to 8000 baht. Lifetime membership from 20,000 baht to 28,000 baht. Also he has introduced a 'bring your own towel' policy. He has a poster up saying how the theft of towels was costing him 60,000 baht per month. I cant really see how so many towels could have been going missing, especially since you have to hand in your membership card to get a towel and you dont get the card back unless the towel comes back, but if Tony says so then it must be.

Anyways the reason for these measures is because he is building a new 'awesome' gym thats gonna be the best in Pattaya ..etc...etc..... Its going to be located opposite his main gym now on third road, beside his Pattaya 'hotel' place. A few months ago I saw that it was going to open in March 2010. That poster went away and was replaced with one that says 'opening in 2010'. The last few days I've noticed a structure going up at that location so I assume its getting built now. All existing members will have access to it. I've no idea how good it will be or what equipment/facilities will be there.

I got a one year membership at Tony's soi 16 location for 4000B, but now it is 8000. The towel policy is unfair, and questionable because a non member had to give a 100B deposit, and I do not see how he could be losing any money, as these towels can be purchsed for less than the old deposit. Also, the heavy bag has been crammed in to a corner, so it can not be properly used. It has greed and poor business sense written all over it, and I am not going to renew my membership.

I agree the towel policy is very unprofessional and I feel like I've been cheated a bit. But what can you expect from a Thai providing a service to a foreigner?

Towels: When I first joined California Wow and discovered that they didn't offer a towel for showering I felt a bit cheated. But now that I am use to it, I would rather bring my own towel than one from a fitness center... Really, how clean are those "laundried" towels after being used everyday on a different person ????? When I use to attend the gym at Dusit or Fairtex, I would see the workers use the "used towels" (taken from the bin) to clean the machines and floor with- one time the urinal!

I think Tony's gym is using the "lost towel" as an excuse. It must be a huge savings on the laundry bill.

Unfortunately the kind of cliental you get in Pattaya is a bit different than at a big metropolis where the members live and work in the same city. ---Maybe that is why CA Wow in BKK gives out towels in their gyms but not in Pattaya. :)

• 4 months later...

There is an excellent one at Jomtien Nivate which is on the hill on Thappraya Road - called Relax(?) (I was always there but now not sure of the name.)It is across the road from the Jade House! Has an air conditioned and unair conditioned exercise areas, sauna and it not expensive and the staff are good.

Does anyone know what Soi this is?

price/quality tony's is your best bet and CA WOW would be your worst. But there's plenty of small gyms around for a reasonable price. Check out the roads around your room and if there's none go for Tony's, if there is a nice reasonable priced gym across the street that suits your needs I'd do that. Support the local economy and reduce traveling times.

Edited by Crypt36

But there's plenty of small gyms around for a reasonable price. Check out the roads around your room and if there's none go for Tony's, if there is a nice reasonable priced gym across the street that suits your needs I'd do that. Support the local economy and reduce traveling times.

At the moment I'm staying in Soi Bukhao and there is a small Tony's gym here (opposite Bri and Joy's condo). Its not air-conditioned and they have an offer at the moment for 69 baht per single visit. This suits me fine and the staff have never been rude to me (yet !). Its also open 24 hrs.

Londo

I got a one year membership at Tony's soi 16 location for 4000B, but now it is 8000. The towel policy is unfair, and questionable because a non member had to give a 100B deposit, and I do not see how he could be losing any money, as these towels can be purchsed for less than the old deposit. Also, the heavy bag has been crammed in to a corner, so it can not be properly used. It has greed and poor business sense written all over it, and I am not going to renew my membership.

Punching bags have no place in a fitness/bodybuilding gym. They're disturbing and mostly used by guys desperate for attention. You want to box, go to a boxing gym.

I don't see why gyms should offer free towels. In most gyms around the world you have to pay for towels. It was good while it lasted, but what's so hard about bringing your own. Tourists can hire one if necessary.

Edited by tropo

I agree the towel policy is very unprofessional and I feel like I've been cheated a bit. But what can you expect from a Thai providing a service to a foreigner?

So many guys complaining about no free towels. These gyms don't charge enough to be offering free towels.

I trained with 2 other gyms in Pattaya before I subscribed with Tony's and they both had free towels for a membership fee of about 600thb a month. But these gyms had old equipment and I got fed up with it.

I never got a free towel with any of the 8 different gyms I attended back in Holland to be honest... It's kinda relaxed I have to admit that but bringing your own isn't that big of an issue is it... Even the tourist in the biggest budget hotel dump gets a towel with his room...

The Universe Gym in Sukhumvit Road is undergoing significant renovations. New owner!

They certainly need a makeover. The place is a dump.

...and again a new owner. The showers have been redone and the reception area looks now somewhat professional. Upstairs still the same, but at least the aircons work now.

The best news is: One year membership 4,000 Baht and couples 6,000!

... Even the tourist in the biggest budget hotel dump gets a towel with his room...

Your comparison makes no sense at all. The tourists in budget dumps pay around 500 baht per night. A casual at Tony's pays 120. I paid 4000 for a year, so assuming visiting 4x per week, I'm only paying 19.2 baht per visit. California Wow cost me 10K for a lifetime. Expecting free towels is a bit much I think. We shouldn't be giving Tony a hard time over taking that away as it was far too generous in the first place.

Punching bags have no place in a fitness/bodybuilding gym. They're disturbing and mostly used by guys desperate for attention. You want to box, go to a boxing gym.

I don't see why gyms should offer free towels. In most gyms around the world you have to pay for towels. It was good while it lasted, but what's so hard about bringing your own. Tourists can hire one if necessary.

:rolleyes:

Few boxing gyms have good fitness/bodybuilding equipment...so if a punter is predominantly interested in the bodybuilding/ fitness side of things but also likes to box or just do bagwork as a form of cardio then it is nice to have some equipment available to do that rather than have to go to two gyms .....The more equipment or facilities available at a gym the better....just because someone working out on a bag makes you feel uncomfortable that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there....

There are some who don't like going to gyms because there are big muscular guys in there lifting heavy weights and it makes them feel uncomfortable, maybe we should get rid of the heavy weights and ban big guys.. There are also those that don't like being around people sweating profusely in the gym, maybe we should get rid of the cardio equipment to accomodate them... Or maybe it would be better if some just went to the gym and concentrated on what they are doing instead of getting insecure about what other people are doing..

just one thing...please refrain from dropping weights at the Universe Gym. My office is just beneath the weight dropping area and every time someone overestimates his/her weight lifting capabilities it sounds like the ceiling is caving in...:angry:

... Even the tourist in the biggest budget hotel dump gets a towel with his room...

Your comparison makes no sense at all. The tourists in budget dumps pay around 500 baht per night. A casual at Tony's pays 120. I paid 4000 for a year, so assuming visiting 4x per week, I'm only paying 19.2 baht per visit. California Wow cost me 10K for a lifetime. Expecting free towels is a bit much I think. We shouldn't be giving Tony a hard time over taking that away as it was far too generous in the first place.

i agree that the free towels were generous but now they have announced that effective 8-20-2010 they will be taking away all of the water fountains - Couple this with the rule that you cannot bring in your own food and drink and they are forcing you to buy bottled water from them at inflated prices - the note states that in these tough economic times they need to cut expenses - it looks like Tony needs another new sports car at our expense. More BS every month

Couple this with the rule that you cannot bring in your own food and drink and they are forcing you to buy bottled water from them at inflated prices -

I've used one of Tony's gym's just about everyday for the last month and have never been stopped from bringing-in my own drinks. I reckon almost everyone brings their own drinks to the gym.

Londo

Few boxing gyms have good fitness/bodybuilding equipment...so if a punter is predominantly interested in the bodybuilding/ fitness side of things but also likes to box or just do bagwork as a form of cardio then it is nice to have some equipment available to do that rather than have to go to two gyms .....The more equipment or facilities available at a gym the better....just because someone working out on a bag makes you feel uncomfortable that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there....

There are some who don't like going to gyms because there are big muscular guys in there lifting heavy weights and it makes them feel uncomfortable, maybe we should get rid of the heavy weights and ban big guys.. There are also those that don't like being around people sweating profusely in the gym, maybe we should get rid of the cardio equipment to accomodate them... Or maybe it would be better if some just went to the gym and concentrated on what they are doing instead of getting insecure about what other people are doing..

Rant taken into consideration. Boxing bags have no place in a good gym, period. Fortunately most good fitness gyms agree with me and don't have them. They are very noisy and disrupt concentration when lifting near them. Even Tony has come to the party and crammed it into a corner so you cannot use it properly (in your own words).

Just to address your last sentence offered as a stab to suggest I don't concentrate and/or am insecure. I doubt you'll find many people who concentrate more in the gym than I do. If you don't believe that, you're welcome to observe at a time of your convenience at either Tonys or California Wow because that comment was definitely addressed to the wrong person.

Why did it take you 5 months to get up the courage to make such a constructive post?

Dumb sarcastic comment! I didn't see the post 5 months ago.

i agree that the free towels were generous but now they have announced that effective 8-20-2010 they will be taking away all of the water fountains - Couple this with the rule that you cannot bring in your own food and drink and they are forcing you to buy bottled water from them at inflated prices - the note states that in these tough economic times they need to cut expenses - it looks like Tony needs another new sports car at our expense. More BS every month

If he wants to cut expenses he could take away all Equipment. I mean you still could do push ups and use the Pool..... wait actually he could empty the Pool too..... :whistling:

That's pretty dumb. He may save a few baht on water but he's going to lose a lot of customers if he does that.

I used to bring in my own bottled water until a security guard told me I couldn't take it in so I started bringing an empty bottle and filling it up from the water cooler. He now turns the airconditioners off at 9pm so I now need at least 2 litres of cool water to get me through a workout. Forcing me to buy water is over the top for me. If I can't smuggle in my own water I'll give Tony's a miss.

You seem a bit insecure. I have been to some great gyms over the years that have a fully integrated and equipped "boxercise" area with a full workout programme for men and women…….it's usually adjacent to the weight lifting area

can we stop that bickering please? Thanks! B)

//edit: there will be a boxing punch bag in teh Universe Gym again soon. In a separate room with a closed door so that the insecure boxers do not disturb the highly concentrated iron benders. Or was that the other way around..? Whatever...both is apparently possible.

Edited by raro

Rant taken into consideration. Boxing bags have no place in a good gym, period. Fortunately most good fitness gyms agree with me and don't have them. They are very noisy and disrupt concentration when lifting near them. Even Tony has come to the party and crammed it into a corner so you cannot use it properly (in your own words).

Just to address your last sentence offered as a stab to suggest I don't concentrate and/or am insecure. I doubt you'll find many people who concentrate more in the gym than I do. If you don't believe that, you're welcome to observe at a time of your convenience at either Tonys or California Wow because that comment was definitely addressed to the wrong person.

I'm afraid what you said... ''mostly used by guys desperate for attention''..smacks of insecurity, next you'll be telling me guys who are bigger than you or who lift heavier weights than you have small dicks or are closet homosexuals...or whatever makes you feel better about yourself :rolleyes:

Again... because you don't use bags or it makes you feel uncomfortable when others do, does not mean they don't belong in a gym....As someone else has already said most decent gyms of any size with good facilities will have punchbags not just for guys but for women as well, sometimes the bags are within the same room as the weights sometimes in another room or on another floor...The reason some gyms don't have them is usually down to space and having other priorities for that space, not because bags don't belong there..

Also ...''They are very noisy and disrupt concentration when lifting near them'' ....really, are you sure that's the reason...if someone working out on a punch bag disrupts your concentration you must be close to a break down when there is a few running machines on the go....With all the heavy breathing, grunting and groaning, clanking of weights, the constant droning of the running machines, the thudding strides of those running on them and the music playing over the speakers, not to mention the yapping of other trainers and someone puching a bag disrupts your concentration :giggle: ...please...

That's pretty dumb. He may save a few baht on water but he's going to lose a lot of customers if he does that.

I used to bring in my own bottled water until a security guard told me I couldn't take it in so I started bringing an empty bottle and filling it up from the water cooler. He now turns the airconditioners off at 9pm so I now need at least 2 litres of cool water to get me through a workout. Forcing me to buy water is over the top for me. If I can't smuggle in my own water I'll give Tony's a miss.

Yeah I agree. It's quite petty to take away the water fountains. I dont understand what Tony is playing at. He knocked down a fine gym on third road, I used to use it all the time. The weird thing was there always seemed to be people sitting around the front desk at this gym buying the shakes and drinks that they used to sell. If you refuse to allow folks take in their own drinks and instead force them to buy from you, you run the risk that you'll piss people off who would normally have bought drinks there anyways. People usually dont like being told what they have to spend their money on. I dont know how much he expects to gain from his latest strategy but my guess is not much. I wont be buying any drinks there, thats for sure.