Thai Grandma Hai Honoured For Her Fight For Human Rights

webfact

Grandma Hai honoured for her fight for rights

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_20430.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Fighter for justice and human rights, 81-year-old Hai Khanjantha, received an honorary master's degree in political science at Ramkhamhaeng University yesterday.

Grandma Hai, clad in a graduation gown, grinned when saying she was overjoyed for being given the chance to receive her degree from Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn in person.

She said she felt honoured, because despite the fact that she came from a poor background and had very little education, she had always stuck to righteousness and fought for her rights.

She also urged Thai youths to study hard so they can improve their lives and help the country.

Ramkhamhaeng University's dean Kim Chaisaensuk said Grandma Hai was honoured for her 32-year-long peaceful battle for justice.

She was fighting for the rights of her family and many residents of Ban Natan in Ubon Ratchathani's Phibun Mangsahan district, after their farms ended up being submerged in water after the construction of the Huay Laha reservoir.

In 1994, Grandma Hai joined protests held by the Assembly of the Poor and the Assembly of Small-Scale Farmers in the Northeast, as well as those organised by villagers affected by the Pak Mun dam construction.

He said it was this fight against injustice that made Grandma Hai a symbol for human rights.

It is her persistent struggle despite obstacles that led to the university's conferring her with an honorary degree, he said.

After a 32-year-long battle, Grandma Hai and her relatives received a cheque for Bt4.9 million last October that was personally delivered by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

would i be right in saying that the great saviour of the poor and down trodden, the almighty Kuhn Thaksin himself, REFUSED to pay out this compensation to Grandma Hai ? and the one who agreed to the payment finally was the humble Abhisit?

only five responses to this post and not one of them gives Abhisit any credit for doing the right thing after succcessive Thaksin goverments and his puppet Pm's failed her

i guess Abhisit will have to work much harder to get any public attention and appreciation for any good things he does

maybe he needs a new publicist........

would i be right in saying that the great saviour of the poor and down trodden, the almighty Kuhn Thaksin himself, REFUSED to pay out this compensation to Grandma Hai ? and the one who agreed to the payment finally was the humble Abhisit?

only five responses to this post and not one of them gives Abhisit any credit for doing the right thing after succcessive Thaksin goverments and his puppet Pm's failed her

i guess Abhisit will have to work much harder to get any public attention and appreciation for any good things he does

Are you trying to do a round-about interview?

Are you trying to do a round-about interview?

whats that?