New Business Idea For Thai Wife

syd barrett

I am absolutely sick of the Mrs. sitting around all day watching Thai soaps and comedies on Thai television. I want to inject some self-worth and work ethic back into her. So I had a brainwave. I have observed a certain species of street vendor who push a small hand cart/trolley up and down the local Sois selling a variety of towels. They appear to range in price from 20 baht for a small tea towel up to around 150 baht for a jumbo beach towel.

My question for my good friends on Thai Visa is where I might obtain a small hand trolley/cart without making it myself and where I might obtain a large stock of the type of towels sold on the streets of Pattaya, as mentioned above.

My initial plan is to have her work a simple 18 hour week. (6 days, 3 hours per day):(Friday rest day/holy day), then as sales increase, and her leg muscles adjust, maybe 'up' the hours worked to 30. Naturally I can understand the overheads and expenses (food/bottled water/axle grease), but I hope that this business idea will yield a healthy financial return in the long run.

Any comments regarding this business enterprise will be gratefully received. I am always open to sensible suggestions and criticism.

Thanks! :)

"I hope that this business idea will yield a healthy financial return in the long run."

Your kidding right?

Anyway how do you think shes going to feel when she sees her friends and shes pushing a cart about town selling towels, shame and humiliation I would of thought.

Back to the drawing board I'm afraid.

Anyway how do you think shes going to feel when she sees her friends and shes pushing a cart about town selling towels, shame and humiliation I would of thought.

Why would anyone feel shame and humiliation from doing an honest day's work?

P.S. She is not a 20 year old BG in a mini skirt.

Edited by syd barrett

Why would anyone feel shame and humiliation from doing an honest day's work?

P.S. She is not a 20 year old BG in a mini skirt.

You have a problem with 20 year old BG'S in a mini skirt?

Quoting Syd Barrett: "I am absolutely sick of the Mrs. sitting around all day watching Thai soaps and comedies on Thai television. I want to inject some self-worth and work ethic back into her. So I had a brainwave. I have observed a certain species of street vendor who push a small hand cart/trolley up and down the local Sois selling a variety of towels. They appear to range in price from 20 baht for a small tea towel up to around 150 baht for a jumbo beach towel.

My question for my good friends on Thai Visa is where I might obtain a small hand trolley/cart without making it myself and where I might obtain a large stock of the type of towels sold on the streets of Pattaya, as mentioned above.

My initial plan is to have her work a simple 18 hour week. (6 days, 3 hours per day):(Friday rest day/holy day), then as sales increase, and her leg muscles adjust, maybe 'up' the hours worked to 30. Naturally I can understand the overheads and expenses (food/bottled water/axle grease), but I hope that this business idea will yield a healthy financial return in the long run.

Any comments regarding this business enterprise will be gratefully received. I am always open to sensible suggestions and criticism.

Thanks!"

No, OP, thank you! Refreshing! This is one of the funniest posts I have read on this forum. I try to add some humor to some of my posts, but this one proves I'm an amateur, which I freely admit. But you, OP, have really cracked me up. And in your "expenses", you even mentioned axle grease, to ease her efforts! Too much, man! Stop it!!

Edited by kandahar

" I have observed a certain species of street vendor who push a small hand cart/trolley up and down the local Sois selling a variety of towels. They appear to range in price from 20 baht for a small tea towel up to around 150 baht for a jumbo beach towel."

I think that the people doing this kind of work are lucky to earn a "profit" of B100 to B150 for a day's work. Is that kind of money worth your wife's time and effort? Assuming that taking care of your house and you do not take up her full day (they should of course take up a reasonable part), I think that her time and effort would be much better spent doing volunteer work at a local school or hospital, and would not make her stand out so openly as needing (probably not true, but that is what her friends and family would think) to do that kind of rather demeaning work. I have never seen the Thai wife of a farang sell from a push cart, and I do think that in most cases it would embarrass the husband as well as the wife. If a venture is not worth investing in (renting) a store front, it is probably not worth doing.

I think it would be a good Idea to look for a Job for her in that Subway you are promoting. She may get a employee discount on the daily special and could bring you one back home.

A good suggestion. But to work in 7-11 or Subway requires proof of a higher education in Thailand.

This is a good way to get rid of the Mss, she will feel so ashamed as being the wife of a foreigner who let her actually sell towels in the soi that she will commit suicide. And to be honest even I would think about that option if the other sex would offer me that a great business opportunity :)

Or just get rid of the TV Subscription at home. No TV no Missus on the Sofa watching it. She will go to a friend and you dont have to watch here when she is watching TV there. However....... if her Friend is cute :)

I was once married to a psychologist in the US. She told me that a good "belly laugh" was good for your mental health. She insisted that even if there was nothing but doom and gloom in your life, if you sat down and started to fake a belly laugh, and "eventually got into it", it would be just as therapeutic. Before I burst out, let me get the concept straight. You are going to buy her a cart and she is going to go out on the street and make money selling towels? While you do what? Before you answer, it is too late. I got a belly laugh going that needs no faking. Thank you, I feel so healthy mentally. HHHAAAA HHHHAAAAAAA. I may never need therapy again!

" I have observed a certain species of street vendor who push a small hand cart/trolley up and down the local Sois selling a variety of towels. They appear to range in price from 20 baht for a small tea towel up to around 150 baht for a jumbo beach towel."

I think that the people doing this kind of work are lucky to earn a "profit" of B100 to B150 for a day's work. Is that kind of money worth your wife's time and effort? Assuming that taking care of your house and you do not take up her full day (they should of course take up a reasonable part), I think that her time and effort would be much better spent doing volunteer work at a local school or hospital, and would not make her stand out so openly as needing (probably not true, but that is what her friends and family would think) to do that kind of rather demeaning work. I have never seen the Thai wife of a farang sell from a push cart, and I do think that in most cases it would embarrass the husband as well as the wife. If a venture is not worth investing in (renting) a store front, it is probably not worth doing.

agree 100%

syd.

heres just what your looking for but these are made in chiang mai.

if you cant find one down there fly up here and send the cart on a train to pattaya where your little lovely could be up and running in a week .

luverly jubbly .... syd boy .... enjoy .... dave2 : )

I was once married to a psychologist in the US. She told me that a good "belly laugh" was good for your mental health. She insisted that even if there was nothing but doom and gloom in your life, if you sat down and started to fake a belly laugh, and "eventually got into it", it would be just as therapeutic. Before I burst out, let me get the concept straight. You are going to buy her a cart and she is going to go out on the street and make money selling towels? While you do what? Before you answer, it is too late. I got a belly laugh going that needs no faking. Thank you, I feel so healthy mentally. HHHAAAA HHHHAAAAAAA. I may never need therapy again!

Think again, dude...!

I can definitely sympathize with the OP's point of view. At our house, if we don't go out- the tv runs all day long 'til bedtime. A lotta Thai series- all with the typical crying, screeming, ghosts, evil women, etc. etc. And, my TGF often says herself: "Oiyeee, darling, beua beua. I should work something so we can have more money to live and not worry, na?" To which I always reply, "Sure, ja." And then we let the subject drop (while the series go on & on...) until the next time. But, that's ok...

So, why not a towel cart? It's a good idea! 'Round here, we really don't need very much money to have a decent daily existence. For many of us, the idea of a good lifestyle in Pattaya is living well while utilizing what we know about the area to economize daily and thus, make this lifestyle as good as it can be.

If our girlfriends want to work, great. Especially if they plan to use the proceeds in a manner that considers and hopefully benefits us! How we can help them do this is another story. I guess a farang could:

-think of something people like to eat that they don't have so much around here; get a cart and drive around to sell... burgers? tacos? salads? sandwiches? sushi? french fries? crepes? Who knows?

-think of something that people want to buy; get a cart and drive around to sell... towels? t-shirts? who knows?

-ask all his friends and acquaintences if they know of anyplace looking for staff.

-take his TGF around on the motorbike, stopping to inquire at places that need staff.

-ask the other vendors where they got their carts...? Probably best to ask folks far from your planned location...!

In any case, it's worth a try, best of luck!

I can definitely sympathize with the OP's point of view. At our house, if we don't go out- the tv runs all day long 'til bedtime. A lotta Thai series- all with the typical crying, screeming, ghosts, evil women, etc. etc. And, my TGF often says herself: "Oiyeee, darling, beua beua. I should work something so we can have more money to live and not worry, na?" To which I always reply, "Sure, ja." And then we let the subject drop (while the series go on & on...) until the next time. But, that's ok...

So, why not a towel cart? It's a good idea! 'Round here, we really don't need very much money to have a decent daily existence. For many of us, the idea of a good lifestyle in Pattaya is living well while utilizing what we know about the area to economize daily and thus, make this lifestyle as good as it can be.

If our girlfriends want to work, great. Especially if they plan to use the proceeds in a manner that considers and hopefully benefits us! How we can help them do this is another story. I guess a farang could:

-think of something people like to eat that they don't have so much around here; get a cart and drive around to sell... burgers? tacos? salads? sandwiches? sushi? french fries? crepes? Who knows?

-think of something that people want to buy; get a cart and drive around to sell... towels? t-shirts? who knows?

-ask all his friends and acquaintences if they know of anyplace looking for staff.

-take his TGF around on the motorbike, stopping to inquire at places that need staff.

-ask the other vendors where they got their carts...? Probably best to ask folks far from your planned location...!

In any case, it's worth a try, best of luck!

Thanks for the helpful response.

Obviously I am always on the look out for new business ideas and ventures that might be successful for the Thai Mrs. so some good suggestions there!

I really want this towel-selling venture to work, and with Songkrawn just a few weeks away, towels might just sell like hot-cakes. I have observed the other towel selling vendors trudging the streets of Pattaya and they all seem to have long faces and no selling skills.

I think if the hand cart was decorated gaily with musical horns and whistles etc. (think Glitterman's bike) then it would attract attention and the towels would sell quickly. I would also train the Mrs. in a cockney market-style verbal sales patter (think Del Boy) offering 3 towels for the price of 2 etc. (whilst having cunningly previously raised the price of one towel by 33% just around the corner); and lots of little tricks like that, which would send sales and profits through the roof.

Great! :)

"I am absolutely sick of the Mrs. sitting around all day watching Thai soaps and comedies on Thai television."

Question: is the Mrs herself "absolutely sick" of sitting around all day watching TV? Perhaps she is quite happy doing this? Maybe she is sick of you nagging her?

"I want to inject some self-worth and work ethic back into her."

Question: does the Mrs feel she is lacking some self worth and work ethic? If she was not the "entrepreneurial" type when you met her with all the drive and work ethic to go with it, what makes you think she wants to embark on some "brainwave" that you dreamt up now?

"...selling a variety of towels...."

Question: does the Mrs really want to do this? Maybe YOU are her retirement plan, marrying you was the objective and the end, not pushing around a cart in the bleeding hot sun. In another post, someone was warning against going out in the midday heat, and here you are sending the poor Mrs out to do just that...or was that warning just for the white folk and not thier loved ones who happen to be a shade darker than themselves?

"My initial plan is to have her work a simple 18 hour week...maybe 'up' the hours worked to 30..."

Question: whilst you are DECIDING on her career path, I wonder if you have established what her interests are (besides TV) or her strengths and skills, ambitions etc? I keep thinking; you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Maybe she just wants to get some formal qualification or vocational training first.

Do you know how many farangs have set up internet cafes, laundries, restaurants, cafes, hairdressers, food stalls etc etc for their wife/gf/bf only to see it fail because the wife/gf/bf was simply NOT interested?

Oh, don't bother to reply...spend the time talking to the Mrs. :)