Thailand Security Law (ISA) In Full Force

webfact

Security law in full force Thursday

BANGKOK (TNA) - The Thai government on Wednesday tightened security at key government offices and public transportation hubs before

enforcing the Internal Security Act (ISA) Thursday as the government representative is set to talk with the leading protest leader in the hope of warding off possible violence during the weekend's expected Red Shirt mass rally .

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said after chairing a meeting of the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) that his government has prepared appropriate measures to respond to the demonstrators in accordance with international practice with armed police rapid response units assigned to cope with any emergency.

The Cabinet on Tuesday announced its plan to enforce the Internal Security Act (ISA) from Thursday (March 11) through March 23 throughout Bangkok and Nonthaburi, plus some high-risk districts of other six provinces surrounding the capital.

The premier added that the ISOC meeting also agreed to the appointment of Mr Abhisit's secretary-general Korbsak Sabhavasu to coordinate with the Red Shirt United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) leaders in order to create better understanding and prevent any misunderstanding between the two sides, while Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban will oversee the overall situation with the help and advice from the government-appointed committee monitoring the overall situation.

Mr Abhisit stated that his government has never thought of using force against any demonstrators, but some Red Shirt activists such as Arisman Pongruangrong and others had been quite obvious in announcing that they are ready to use violence.

The premier urged the public not to panic over reports about possible sabotage and that Bangkokians can live their lives normally and cooperate with the authorities.

Following news reports that family members of ousted convicted ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra have left Thailand ahead of the upcoming Red Shirt rally, Mr Thaksin said in his social network Twitter @Thaksinlive that his two daughters Pinthongta and Paethongtan went to see a hotel exhibition in Germany and that the trip has been planned in advance.

When asked by another Twitter user how confident he is on the upcoming rally as it seems that the Red Shirt has been divided into many groups, the ousted premier replied that the real Red Shirt has the ultimate aim to achieve 'true' democracy and justice.

The ex-premier also sent an SMS to his Red Shirt supporters inviting them to join the Sunday rally in Bangkok saying "March 14, join the protest calling for the lost democracy and justice for the future of Thai generations."

As this weekend's anti-government rally may paralyse traffic across the capital, Nirandra Theeranartsin, president of the Airports of Thailand (AoT) on Wednesday warned passengers for international flights to arrive the airport three to four hours in advance, while two hours is advised to domestic passengers.

Mr Nirandra added that the AoT has prepared a contingency plan with police and civil officials of Samut Prakan province where the airport is located.

He said that the security plan was rehearsed last December and that the airport will facilitate passengers and their belongings to reach the aircraft without any disruption.

Meanwhile, Gothom Arya, as director of the Mahidol University Research Center for Peace Building, said after negotiating with the Red Shirt leaders that the UDD will send Weng Tojirakarn as its representative to talk with acting government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn on Thursday to create better understanding among the two parties.

Mr Gothom said that both the government and the Red Shirts accepted his proposal to hold a talk in order to reduce the use of violence.

Peace academic Gothom said that he was assured by UDD key leader Veera Musikapong that the Red Shirts will gather in six Bangkok locations without any road blockade and will move to its main rally venue at Ratchadamnoen Avenue as soon as the gathering is done. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-11

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

IMPORTANT INFO FOR FOREIGNERS LIVING IN THAILAND

As an expat you are advised to follow the developing news for your security!

Follow the Breaking News updates via Thaivisa:

- Breaking News via SMS text messages to your mobile phone or

handheld device

To subscribe dial *424010011 on AIS, One-2-Call, DTAC or True Move networks

14 days complementary subscription for Thaivisa members.

If you have questions about the Breaking News SMS service, email

[email protected]

OR follow us:

- Via Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/farang

- Via Twitter:

http://twitter.com/georgebkk

"Mr Abhisit stated that his government has never thought of using force against any demonstrators" -- does this mean that the ISA has been implemented to facilitate meaningful dialogue ?

If one thinks about implemeting the ISA, one must think about using force -- that's what the ISA is for !

"The premier urged the public not to panic over reports about possible sabotage" -- total propaganda ! Dishonest nonsense ! -- but then, when is propaganda honest ?

The premier himself issued the warnings about possible sabotage.

"Mr Abhisit stated that his government has never thought of using force against any demonstrators" -- does this mean that the ISA has been implemented to facilitate meaningful dialogue ?

If one thinks about implemeting the ISA, one must think about using force -- that's what the ISA is for !

The ISA is there so that the government/army/police can act quickly if things get out of hand. If they don't have this, then the army can not act to control violence.

According to the statements by *some* of the red leaders, they are planning violence. The government needs to be ready for that.

"The premier urged the public not to panic over reports about possible sabotage" -- total propaganda ! Dishonest nonsense ! -- but then, when is propaganda honest ?

The premier himself issued the warnings about possible sabotage.

He's not saying "ignore the reports", he's saying "don't panic over the reports".

Simply put the ISA is the use of force without court orders, warrants or other freedoms for the public.

IMHO, when the event is poor =VS= the rich elite the outcome is never certain and violence is always a by product.

Panic? no stay home order out.

LOL the only order would be from McDonals as both pizza companies an KFC, well they wear red jackets :)

Glad my mobahn has plenty to eat and drink and only a short walk :D

If one thinks about implementing the ISA, one must think about using force -- that's what the ISA is for !

The ISA is there so that the government/army/police can act quickly if things get out of hand. If they don't have this, then the army can not act to control violence.

According to the statements by *some* of the red leaders, they are planning violence. The government needs to be ready for that.

Being prepared to counteract violence is quite different than preparing to USE violence.

We know which side is preparing to use violence to get their way.

Seems yet another propagandist has joined the ranks and flies of the

~Ginger side of the weekends festivities, whooppee one more voice of spurious reasoning.

Edited by animatic

No, it doesn't mean that. It means force might be used if provoked/necessary. Why do countries have armies? Because they're going to overrun a neighboring country in the next 5 minutes??

I noticed a guy in his 40's hanging around on the platform at Asok BTS station a couple of days ago. He wasn't in any kind of uniform, just wearing a t-shirt and trousers. He was there when I left the station and also when I returned a couple of hours later. He made no attempt to get on any of the trains. I suspect he is part of the security detail.

I have never seen any mass demonstration in which roads were not blocked. It would be the very first in the world. The statement about the airports is absurd. The only people who blocked those could be found within the government itself and nobody has been punished for it Assuming that other Thai people are as badly mannered as the yellow shirts is an insult towards the Thai people in general.

If one thinks about implementing the ISA, one must think about using force -- that's what the ISA is for !

Being prepared to counteract violence is quite different than preparing to USE violence.

~Ginger side of the weekends festivities, whooppee one more voice of spurious reasoning.

Force is force, whether it is used to counteract violence or with other motivations.

I can accept a statement that the government might say that they will only use force to counteract violence or restore order -- I can not accept it when they say that they " have never thought of using force against any demonstrators"

To implement the ISA is to contemplate the use of force. whether that force is in response to force ( to defend the public interest ?), whether it is in response to an implied violence, or whether it is force applied to the demonstrators in a preemptive and unilateral manner -- it is the contemplation of the use of force against the demonstrators in all cases.

The ISA is entirely about the use of force -- motivation aside -- so to say you " have never thought of using force against any demonstrators" is absolute nonsense and a complete fabrication.

Mr Thaksin said in his social network Twitter @Thaksinlive that his two daughters Pinthongta and Paethongtan went to see a hotel exhibition in Germany and that the trip has been planned in advance.

After all this is over, and the elections have been and gone, it will be imperative for the sake of the people of Thailand that the new government puts into place some sort of '30 baht German hotel exhibition' plan so that nobody goes without these basic necessities of modern life.

:)

Propagandas, politics, lies or not. 1 million mass gathering will cause chaos and unwanted incidents.

I am driving tonight with friends to Chiang Rai for business, plan to come back to BKK Sunday noon for family dinner.

Should I consider cancelling my trip and wait this out?

If I go away, there will only be 5 women at home, 3 of my family and 2 house keepers. I am thinking to stay and take up arms to fend off any rioters turn robbers, rapists, murderers. This happened 10+yrs ago in Indonesia.

I live in the Phutamonthon sai 4 area I can't imagine if the rioters come through this way. 1 million is a lot, and there's a possibility that 10 percent of that go out of control and start to loot and destroy.

Any ideas from visa forum members?

Sam

Propagandas, politics, lies or not. 1 million mass gathering will cause chaos and unwanted incidents.

I am driving tonight with friends to Chiang Rai for business, plan to come back to BKK Sunday noon for family dinner.

If I go away, there will only be 5 women at home, 3 of my family and 2 house keepers. I am thinking to stay and take up arms to fend off any rioters turn robbers, rapists, murderers. This happened 10+yrs ago in Indonesia.

I live in the Phutamonthon sai 4 area I can't imagine if the rioters come through this way. 1 million is a lot, and there's a possibility that 10 percent of that go out of control and start to loot and destroy.

Sam

Best bet stay home if for no other reason fuel may become scarce. Make sure you have water food and ice to stay comfortable. If nothing happens you will lose nothing in your efforts. I am sure you can always use the water food and ice. :)

Sam

Go to Chaing Rai and stay longer, is the safer and more scenic bet. :)

Sam

Have you got a firearms licence, Rambo ?

I have never seen any mass demonstration in which roads were not blocked. It would be the very first in the world. The statement about the airports is absurd. The only people who blocked those could be found within the government itself and nobody has been punished for it Assuming that other Thai people are as badly mannered as the yellow shirts is an insult towards the Thai people in general.

Don't you find it a little strange 15,000 Yellow shirt at the airport,then 2 month later 15,000 cushy Government jobs where created

for life.I am telling you they are really screwing up the system.

I been already warned by this forum here is run by Yellow shirt lovers , so I better sip my mouth.

Don't you find it a little strange 15,000 Yellow shirt at the airport,then 2 month later 15,000 cushy Government jobs where created

I been already warned by this forum here is run by Yellow shirt lovers , so I better sip my mouth.

This section of Thai Visa has just become more and more like an entertainment or Comedy show!!!

The posts just go from the sublime to the ridiculous :D

So just that I understand what you are trying to say is that the 15000 yellow shirted protestors have all been given a Government job for life? :):D :D

Can you show ANYTHING credulous that backs up your statement? :D

Well you had your 3 seconds of fame, dont let the door hit your derierre on the way out!! :D :D

Actually, the moderators here are some of the fairest and most professional I have found over the past few years, but in fact the Internet is run by yellow-shirt lovers, who may never overcome their ignorance until they go through bankruptcy or something worse. The moderators on this forum are most professional and unbiased, but as for the newspaper, well, obviously the chances are 1 in 46 billion of a red-shirt owning a national newspaper.

Please give any source/evidence of your claim. We are not going to allow posting false fact or unsubstanciated rumour. Especially in the upcoming days we will have little patience with people stirring up the pot, no matter what their colour is.

As we haven't heard about him recently do you think a certain person's SWAT team with a yellow Hummer may be 'mobilised' too? :)

They are on an undercover mission and the Hummer is now painted red so it won't be conspicious.

post-31474-1268316715_thumb.png

All this sounds like an outrageous double standard...the yellow shorts are allowed to assemble, protest and invade and close the bloody airports, and then their leaders get seats in the cabinet...but not the red shirts?

Good thing that that Thailand is using the ISA law with the threats coming from Arisiman and his his threats of "burning Bangkok down." With the likes of Sae Daeng roaming the city, not a bad idea actually. For anyone to dare say this is not about Thaksin and spiteful revenge, think again...birds of a feather.

post-6428-1268322715_thumb.jpg

Please don't jump to conclusions. Some can't really help it and are just plain stupid.

Well, the 6 or so people on my soi that went to the airport will be very disappointed they didn’t get any of those jobs. They are still hard at work at the noodle stand, the general store, the hair salon, and the 6 table restaurant they own and run.

TH