Iptv

kuwaittemp

Got a very strange message on my IPTV screen. "Henceforth, for some reason, we will suspend services." A few days later (10 March), I get a call for an appointment for True to come and take out my equipment. The message is essentially repeated to me. I asked about theword "suspended", saying that it indicated a resumption of some sort of service. The response... "I don't know. I also don't know why we are doing this."

A cryptic message. And I would be interested to know if anyone knows the real reason for this. A business decision??

The price was low. And I will miss Euro News. (But not Fox)

True called me yesterday.

A very nice young lady named Khun Thayan explained to me that True Corporation is canceling its IPTV service. She did not know why.

One of my pastimes is joking around with Thai ladies, especially when they do not realize that I am joking, by engaging in innocent yet ridiculous exchanges with them. For example, the nice lady who sold me handkerchiefs last week agreed that while I am not as handsome as George Clooney, I do live in Thailand, and other silly observations. The key for me is to make absurd statements with the utmost seriousness. My payoff is when the ladies finally realize that I have been teasing them, and they can no longer hold it together, and they dissolve into giggles.

Maybe I am mentally ill. No telling.

Anyway, after a few minutes of enjoyable conversation, I was able to gather from Khun Thayan that True was canceling the service for everybody. She apologized profusely, and she did the best that she could with the information that she had, which was that True was canceling the service for everybody. She did not know anything more. She made an appointment with me for True technicians to come by to collect their set top box. I asked Khun Thayan if she would be coming personally, because if she would be, I would make tea, English-style, with cakes, cucumber sandwiches, scones and preserves.

No dice. Just the technicians.

I suppose that I am grateful that True had the courtesy to call me and to tell me, though two days notice is not much time. I also would appreciate being informed that the programming on the IPTV service would be made available for me to purchase on an alternative service.

I asked Khun Thayan for the name of her boss, intending to talk with him and to register my comments. She said, "Oh, no, we take comments, and then give them to the boss later."

I explained to Khun Thayan that I am a crazy farang, I am not Thai, and that when somebody does something which impacts me, and I am displeased, I do not simply accept it with Confucian resignation. Guys like me, we complain, and we complain hard, and we complain all the way to the top, until somebody appropriately mollifies us, by providing an alternative, by providing a refund, or some other solution.

Khun Thayan handled the "crazy farang" very well, and she is to be complimented. She got it. She really did. She very appropriately was unwilling to give me her boss's mobile number, but she did give me his name, which is Mr. Kunthol, Customer Service Manager.

I asked Khun Thayan to ask Mr. Kunthol to call me today, Thursday, so that I could register my comments about the abrupt cessation of service, and the failure of True to make any sort of explanation whatsoever to its customers. She told me that she would try, but that she thought that Mr. Kunthol would call me next Tuesday, as "he is very busy."

I told Khun Thayan that if I did not hear from Mr. Kunthol on Thursday, that I would be calling the offices of the Chairman of the True Corporation on Friday. I do not think that she believed me.

I do not mind that True is canceling this service. What annoys me is, True is canceling the programming, and has not announced any plan to transfer any of the programming over to TrueVisions, or to any other service.

Unlike the original poster, I vastly prefer Fox News, and I am displeased that it will no longer be available. Fox was only available in Thailand on IPTV. Fox is not included in the satellite service, TrueVisions, to which I also subscribe.

Tomorrow, assuming that Mr. Kunthol does not call me today, I will be calling the Chairman of True Corporation. I will inform him that he has a very competent and sincere young lady named Khun Thayan working for him in Customer Service, but that her supervisor, Mr. Kunthol, is not responsive, he failed to call me, and that he may need retraining, or counseling.

Mr. Kunthol certainly should have insisted that his subordinates had information more detailed than "True Corporation is canceling IPTV" to deliver to customers.

I feel badly for Mr. Kunthol. This debacle is certainly not his fault. He merely sits in a meeting, is given information, and he then marches out to do his job.

But somebody, at a responsible level within the True Corporation, has more information to impart. Somebody, somewhere, knows more.

I am off to go look at the TrueIPTV website.

Hope springs eternal.

• 3 months later...

Still no movement on this issue from True.

They actually called me after I complained bitterly about spam text messages on my iPhone, a failed WiFi router, disrupted internet service, and who knows what else, telling me that they would come and pick up the IPTV set top box at the end of April.

Of course, no one showed.

Bleh.

I am going to excavate several years worth of receipts from True and take them in. I have a feeling that I will soon be seeing some very wooden Thai faces.