Why Do People Who Live Here Always Go Out Of There Way To Say How Good It Is ?

dave30

If you can't be happy living in Thailand then you are doing something wrong. Or, you expect the world to owe you a living without doing anything to earn it. No money = no honey... same as anywhere. Pick a country and there will be problems. It all depends on what you want out of life. If you soul purpose to living is making a lot of money, then Thailand probably isn't the place for you. Of course, if you want EVERYTHING without putting any effort into getting it then I can't help you. Having a lot of money truly DOES make living easier, but it can't always buy you happiness. You just have to CHOOSE to be happy. Its all up to you.

You are so right...and so wrong.

First, when you say, "If you can't be happy living in Thailand then you are doing something wrong". That's not true at all. Thailand has its wonderful aspects, neutral aspects, and unpleasant aspects. It's how a person balances those things that determine whether or not they will be happy living here. Years ago when I was still coming here yearly as a tourist, my closest friend decided he was going to come with me one summer. I refused, he was insulted. But he was a cleanliness nut. I knew that he would never be happy here in Thailand with those ingrained feelings. On the other hand, he adored long summer vacation in the English countryside. I wouldn't have been happy there at all. Again, it's how one balances their likes and dislikes of a place that determines happiness, and what one loves another may hate...and all for legitimate reasons.

With most of the rest of what you say...okay, I can agree...although not everything in life is about money.

Good points, phetaroi. I won't disagree. But, a lot of that has to do with personal tastes. I wouldn't want to live EXCLUSIVELY in Thailand. I love my life style in Canada too much. There are many things in Canada that are better than Thailand... DURING THE RIGHT SEASON!

Personally, I miss my trout and salmon fishing while I'm in Thailand. I miss exploring the waterways of North America in my jet boat. But, I can't do that for 12 months of the year. I would also find the hot, wet season a bit of a drag in Thailand. It would derail many of the things I like to do here. And, I also realize a man can't live on sex alone... as much as I like to try for 5 months. I can also get more variety and better food in Canada, and almost as cheap. But, I have to cook it myself... which I'm willing to do.

The cleanliness issue is not an issue with me in Thailand. I've spent weeks living in a tent on wilderness hunting trips... or on alpine ski adventures high in the mountains. What doesn't kill you usually makes you stronger.

However, I still say it all comes down to money. If you haven't enough money it can be miserable living anywhere. Those lovely ladies in Thailand seldom go for a pennyless backpacker who has over-stayed his visa and has barely enough money for a rice meal.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a friend of mine tried to book first class rail tickets that were £55 2 years ago. He was quoted £110.

Ha Ha, train tickets to commute in the UK are one of my idiots guides to the UK for curious Thais:

"... everyday it costs more than 1000 baht to get the train to work, it takes an hour, and you dont even get a seat! - as an average it eats about 1/4 of your annual salary. Either that, or you are stuck in traffic for an hour! ...Arggh a fate worse than death, especially as Wogan is no more.... a plate of green curry will set you back 700 baht in a Thai restaurant etc etc"

Must agree, my 3 bed, 2 bath, garden, 2 living rooms in quiet mooban still costs less than a bedsit in Tunbridge Wells. (And no PIKEYS! - well none that i can understand or will get mugged by!)

Edited by whiterussian

:D Having owned a Thai/European restaurant for several years in the past, in Chiang Mai Province, and having lived in Thailand for about 8 years, I see the following...

Some Expats are here, because of the girls. Yes, there are girls back home, but a lot of guys, who end up with a nice girl in Thailand, would not be able to find one in their home country...either because they don't have enough money back home, to be considered a "good score", or because of their looks or character flaws.

Some don't care about the good conversations with a wrinkly old woman, their own age, in a restaurant back home, when the be snuggled up to a pretty, younger woman, here.

Some stay here, because they can't afford to stay back home.

Some stay here, because the law is after them back home (a minority I would say)

Some foreigners stay here, because they got married here and don't want to rip their wives apart from their families

Some people, like myself, prefer to live in Thailand, because life is nice and simple and more or less stress free. The weather is great most of the year, at least up here in Chiang Dao, most of the people are friendly and polite and respect age, the women are good for the ego (who would hate to be called "handsome man" :) and the cost of living is much lower than in most Western Countries (if you ar not addicted to too many imports, it is dirt cheap living here)

Whenever I am back in Canada, I almost instantly feel the stress of being back....taxes, user fees, traffic laws enforced to the limit, fast pace of life, more unhappy people around me, and I miss the close family feeling, I have, when I spend time with my wife and our family in Thailand.

Yes, I like the four seasons on Vancouver Island, the Eagles, Deer and Bears roaming around freely, the clean air and the cool ocean breeze, the socialized medicare and free education, but when I have to choose, where I want to spend the rest of my life, it is Thailand.

I have to admit, that Thailand had an even bigger draw for me, when I was single, but married life in Thailand is also a lot more enjoyable for me, than married life was in Canada.

I'm lucky enough to be married to an educated Thai woman. We've been married for about six years now and we love and respect each other. We travel between both countries on business a lot, but we both prefer it, when we are back home, in Thailand.

Here, I can insure me Harley for a few hundred Baht per year and get my pickup truck washed and detailed for about 180 Baht. Back home, insurance for the bike would cost me over $1000 ($32,000 Baht) and to detail my truck would be over $200 (6400 Baht), so economics come into the picture, too. I like my $6, two hour Thai massages, peticures for 90 Baht and all that good stuff, that is so expensive back home and makes life so much nicer here :D

That is why I choose to live in Thailand :D

Good points, phetaroi. I won't disagree. But, a lot of that has to do with personal tastes. I wouldn't want to live EXCLUSIVELY in Thailand. I love my life style in Canada too much. There are many things in Canada that are better than Thailand... DURING THE RIGHT SEASON!

Personally, I miss my trout and salmon fishing while I'm in Thailand. I miss exploring the waterways of North America in my jet boat. But, I can't do that for 12 months of the year. I would also find the hot, wet season a bit of a drag in Thailand. It would derail many of the things I like to do here. And, I also realize a man can't live on sex alone... as much as I like to try for 5 months. I can also get more variety and better food in Canada, and almost as cheap. But, I have to cook it myself... which I'm willing to do.

The cleanliness issue is not an issue with me in Thailand. I've spent weeks living in a tent on wilderness hunting trips... or on alpine ski adventures high in the mountains. What doesn't kill you usually makes you stronger.

However, I still say it all comes down to money. If you haven't enough money it can be miserable living anywhere. Those lovely ladies in Thailand seldom go for a pennyless backpacker who has over-stayed his visa and has barely enough money for a rice meal.

I can understand what you're saying. I have a good enough pension to live reasonably well in the U.S. or here. But I don't have enough money to split the time. So, after 60 years in the States, now I'm here.

One of the things I do miss is traveling in the west, whether it be the western US or western Canada. I will tell you that the best month I ever spent was up in the Canadian Rockies one September. From Glacier National Park right up through Jasper! Mama mia! But I also traveling in the US and Canada prohibitively expensive.

But I find the weather in the States not to my liking since I hate cold weather. I'll take hot season here!

Very interesting thread.........The reason I say this is because many many posts appear to offer comparison with a previous life as the answer to why they now live in Thailand.......a kind of economic justification if you like...........

Some of the more astute posters have mentioned that life is not about all about money.......yes, your income goes further in Thailand a big plus - be it tax free or otherwise enhanced.......but if the reason that you are living in Thailand is because you do not pay 'council tax'......or transport costs are more expensive in USA, Canada,UK, Australia......or you have a good home that you could not afford in your home country...then ok whatever floats your boat.

You see I am attracted to thailand by the fact that my Thai wife and children make my life very special......as they would anywhere in the world.......but they are currently in Thailand. I do not have to compare my situation to anywhere else in the world.......you see there is not another country anywhere that can touch Thailand for me........no other country houses my family...... :)

If you can't be happy living in Thailand then you are doing something wrong. Or, you expect the world to owe you a living without doing anything to earn it. No money = no honey... same as anywhere. Pick a country and there will be problems. It all depends on what you want out of life. If you soul purpose to living is making a lot of money, then Thailand probably isn't the place for you. Of course, if you want EVERYTHING without putting any effort into getting it then I can't help you. Having a lot of money truly DOES make living easier, but it can't always buy you happiness. You just have to CHOOSE to be happy. Its all up to you.

You are so right...and so wrong.

First, when you say, "If you can't be happy living in Thailand then you are doing something wrong". That's not true at all. Thailand has its wonderful aspects, neutral aspects, and unpleasant aspects. It's how a person balances those things that determine whether or not they will be happy living here. Years ago when I was still coming here yearly as a tourist, my closest friend decided he was going to come with me one summer. I refused, he was insulted. But he was a cleanliness nut. I knew that he would never be happy here in Thailand with those ingrained feelings. On the other hand, he adored long summer vacation in the English countryside. I wouldn't have been happy there at all. Again, it's how one balances their likes and dislikes of a place that determines happiness, and what one loves another may hate...and all for legitimate reasons.

With most of the rest of what you say...okay, I can agree...although not everything in life is about money.

Very good post Ian. If someone can swap countries to meet the seasons they like and so indulge in the activities they enjoy, they are doing things the best way possible and i would venture to say that a lot of people here would love to have that lifestyle and in turn would enjoy their time here far more.

i actually agree with you on a lot of things there, the weather in uk is the worst part for me,i too prefer western girls to be quite honest ,western girls i think make better lovers,better in bed,ok i think generally they fuc_k around more than thai girls but there few and far between, im married to a thai yes but its ben a bumpy ride and ive no way out because ive a 11 mth old daughter, if i had my way again i wouldnt of married her although she is a good mother and a good hearted person but when she gets mad she gets really mad and her temper is the worst ive ever seen in a woman,im here for the long ride only because of my daughter ,if she didnt come about i wouldnt be with my wife i dont think , thailand is not cheap thats for sure, i get a chesaper better beer here in uk, i can get a box of 15 bottles of budweiser beer for £7 in llidl store, get a pint down my local club for £2..thats still cheaper than thailand were the average half pint in a bar is around £140 - 70 thb..clothes are cheaper in uk primark , tk maxx etc ...thailand is good for cheap girls , nice hot weather ,nice culture , thats about it in my book.

i actually agree with you on a lot of things there, the weather in uk is the worst part for me,i too prefer western girls to be quite honest ,western girls i think make better lovers,better in bed,ok i think generally they fuc_k around more than thai girls but there few and far between, im married to a thai yes but its ben a bumpy ride and ive no way out because ive a 11 mth old daughter, if i had my way again i wouldnt of married her although she is a good mother and a good hearted person but when she gets mad she gets really mad and her temper is the worst ive ever seen in a woman,im here for the long ride only because of my daughter ,if she didnt come about i wouldnt be with my wife i dont think , thailand is not cheap thats for sure, i get a chesaper better beer here in uk, i can get a box of 15 bottles of budweiser beer for £7 in llidl store, get a pint down my local club for £2..thats still cheaper than thailand were the average half pint in a bar is around £140 - 70 thb..clothes are cheaper in uk primark , tk maxx etc ...thailand is good for cheap girls , nice hot weather ,nice culture , thats about it in my book.

Fair points, but i do have one question. Where in the UK do you live mate to get a pint in you're local for two quid?

Fair points, but i do have one question. Where in the UK do you live mate to get a pint in you're local for two quid?

Try this place.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/

I pint of Guinness for less than 2 pounds! Compared to a small glass of Chang for 70 baht (1 pound 40) in similar surroundings.

Good thread but I dont see the reason why so many people are p*ssed with the original OP? He told it how he felt most people do when talking with others, life would be boring if we all thought the same and did the same.

Money does make your life better no matter which country you live in I personally am not sure if I could live in Thailand 24/7 but I also dont want to live in the UK 24/7. A split would be great. I do think I would spend more time in Thailand than the UK, WHY several factors (mine not everyone's) I wont list them but the climate is a major one.

Maybe in years to come my feelings might change but at the moment my aim is to be in Thailand most of year with several months in the UK. I just hope I have the funds to live this lifestyle.

PS> Carmine, the local cricket club close to my UK property serves a pint at 1.99 (John Smiths) It's probably gone up since I was home six months ago.

Where in UK can you have a lovely 80 sq m condo furnished for under 40,000 pounds,a meal out for 2 for under 10 pounds, a good car for under 15,000 pounds,a first class fitness centre for 140 pounds a year,,massage for 4 pounds for 2 hours?

Yes the pound a at a low point of a cycle-but it is a cycle and eventually it will change.

So on the economic side I still think the cost of living is about 40% cheaper even now.

Then if you can stand months of no sun and cold rain (even in summer!) I suppose the UK has some plus points.

But I am a fairly decent looking and fit 60 + and completely invsible to any reasonablec looking lady in the UKunder say 45-50.

I have a lovely 35 year old Thai wife ,educated to degree level,speaking good English from a middle class background-her parents are younger than me but supportive.My first relationship here was bad and I was told a lot of lies but as this is my 8th year in Thailand and I cannot imagine going back to live in the UK

Great to know especially on your in-laws being supportive and wife being a degree-holder. You must be a nice guy too to be in this lucky position.

That sells cheap beer!!!......... :D

But also a larger selection of real ales than your average local...... :D

Anyway it appears the old common denominator has cut in.......whether you appreciate Thailand or not all comes down to the price of a beer!!!!...... :)

Edited by 473geo

For me, bottom line is that I feel I am better off being in Thailand

Well put. Me too.

There are pro's and con's to the last four places I have lived (USA, Europe, Hong Kong and Thailand) and for me, Thailand is the clear winner. It would be difficult for me to explain exactly why this is, or what is missing in the other places, but I just know that Thailand is the right place, for me. For many friends and relatives who I tell about Thaland, this might only be the right place for them to take a vacation, for some, maybe not even that, but for me, it is the best place for me to live, all things considered.

I had an interview recently with a Thai institution (sorry to be vague) and one of the questions an interviewer kept pounding at over and over and over was 'why Thailand' and 'why do you like Thailand', I could not give her an answer that would satisfy her and through the verbal assault it came out that I don't even like Thai food (she pounced on that one), but I was not being dishonest, it is just difficult to put into words. I've lived a whole lot of places in my time and when I stack them all up next to each other, this is the one that is best, for me.

... i can get a box of 15 bottles of budweiser beer for £7 in llidl store, get a pint down my local club for £2..thats still cheaper than thailand were the average half pint in a bar is around £140 - 70 thb..clothes are cheaper in uk primark , tk maxx etc ...thailand is good for cheap girls , nice hot weather ,nice culture , thats about it in my book.

Try this place.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/

I pint of Guinness for less than 2 pounds! Compared to a small glass of Chang for 70 baht (1 pound 40) in similar surroundings.

judging a country using the price of an ugly drink such as beer? c'mon boys! :)

I'd rather be in a place I enjoy drinking slightly more expensive booze than in a dump drinking cheap stuff.

I'm not sure if you are using this as a way to say that other countries are better than Thailand, but for me I agree with you, and it is the reason when I go out drinking in Thailand I am paying 200 THB+ for my cocktails. There are plenty of places to booze it up in style here, where you wouldn't even know you were in Thailand if not for all of the Thai waitstaff.

Long Table on Sukhumvit 16 is a perfect example. That could very easily be a trendy night spot in Manhattan or London - just happens to be in Bangkok. Compared to a similar place in M or L it is cheap, compared to other watering holes in Thailand, it is extremely expensive. I prefer to look at it as cheap compared to similar places abroad, just as I view my condo many of the other things in Thailand I 'overpay' for.

Plus keeping a house cool with AC's is more expensive than keeping a house warm in the Uk.

transferring my thai home to Germany and keeping it (as i do here) year round at an average temperature of 26.5ºC would cost me approximately five times what i pay here.

of course... if you wear long johns, a furcoat and keep on shivering in UK at 12ºC inside temperature you might pay slightly less than in Thailand.

i said Thailand was on about a even with living back in the UK

Really?

Do you pay 17% vat, 10,000-15,000 ThB per month in council tax, and more still in personal income tax in Thailand? Do you incur pay for play costs any time you want to park you car or truck somewhere? Do you pay 50-60 ThB per liter for diesel? Is it 10-15degC and raining half the year in Thailand? Do you pay top dollar for basic food staples such as fresh fruit, rice and meat? And are you able to walk down the street to the village farm stand to buy much of what you need?

I built a home in Thailand with cash, a nice home that would have cost me 3-4 times as much in the UK or US. And it's bought and paid for with no need to worry about the shackles of a 30-year mortgage. Doing that would never have been affordable or even possible in the US or UK.

I loved living in the UK when I was on a nice expat package and could sustain a nice lifestyle, but I couldn't imagine trying to make ends meet there without it. A lot of people eek out a living in the UK on a salary of 20-30k quid, but it's not exactly an enviable lifestyle. Thailand is not without its share of problems, but cost of living and standard of living is probably not at the top of the list, which seems contrary to the UK.

Or are you just homesick? Do you miss going down the pub with your mates for a few pints? Is your cup half-full or half-empty? If your pluses total up more than your minuses, then you're a heck of a lot better off than the vast majority of the world's population.

Spot on.

Having lived in Thailand now for 2 years i must say that i still feel as though i am living the dream. Originally i lived in Cha-am although i have now moved to BKK for work purposes. I love it here.

I have lived in several countries around the world, in both large cities and small towns. Every country has it problems, a lot of them the same, such as anti-social behaviour and so on, Thailand is no different. However, the sun shines (almost) every day, the majority of people are friendly and appreciative, the food is awesome and cheap, never too far from the beach, the social scene can be excellent and if treated properly every day can be an adventure. What else does one need for a nice life? I work seven days a week, from both home and an office, and i have never had a better lifestyle or quality of life. Surely your life and lifestyle is what you make it and what you make of it?

There are always some who feel the grass is always greener, to those the simple and constantly repeated answer is leave the country. I am slight surprised that an ex-pat is writing about why is Thailand such a great place to live, it really makes no sense to me, am i the only one?

I am very lucky that i have a wonderful girlfriend who is well educated, has a good job and the world's biggest heart. She does add to my ease of life so if things are looking poor for you, my suggestion would be to meet a few people, make some friends, perhaps learn the language and i am sure that some of them will become a great assist you improving your day to day.

There are always going to be people who aren't happy with what they have but as a few TV'ers have already pointed out, go home for a length of time and then decide if Thailand is where you want to be.

Honestly, like so many others, i am sick and tired of hearing ex-pat's complain about the country they 'chose' to live in.

Plus keeping a house cool with AC's is more expensive than keeping a house warm in the Uk.

transferring my thai home to Germany and keeping it (as i do here) year round at an average temperature of 26.5ºC would cost me approximately five times what i pay here.

of course... if you wear long johns, a furcoat and keep on shivering in UK at 12ºC inside temperature you might pay slightly less than in Thailand.

Here in Thailand my electricity bill is a little over 2000baht per month. As far as temperature control, we have one room with AC on an evening and maybe a couple of hours during the afternoon. If I wanted to keep the kitchen, bathroom etc etc cool I can only imagine the bill being very high. In the Uk I used to pay around 2000bath per month and the whole house was warm. It's probably a bit more expensive now but not as much as cooling the whole house here that's for sure.

I have lived in several countries around the world, in both large cities and small towns. Every country has it problems, a lot of them the same, such as anti-social behaviour and so on, Thailand is no different. However, the sun shines (almost) every day, the majority of people are friendly and appreciative, the food is awesome and cheap, never too far from the beach, the social scene can be excellent and if treated properly every day can be an adventure. What else does one need for a nice life? I work seven days a week, from both home and an office, and i have never had a better lifestyle or quality of life. Surely your life and lifestyle is what you make it and what you make of it?

Very well put, totally agree. I like the culture a lot, love the food, the weather, especially being able to get up and sit by with a cup of coffee by the swimming pool, doing my work (as I work from home)... after over three years here I still appreciate things like this, everyday. But it's the challenges I like most- the challenge of dealing with a different culture, of trying to learn read and speak a different language and so on. At the weekends take the dogs to the beach, or pick a new place on the map and go exploring. I do suspect some folk would never be happy wherever they are though, and that's more to do with their personality than the place they end up. Also suspect I'm just repeating what a lot of other people have said as well...

Why Do People Who Live Here Always Go Out Of There Way To Say How Good It Is ?

So what is so good about living in Thailand ?? I have lived here for 6 years now and to be honest living in Thailand overall is no better than living back home in the United Kingdom.

Yes some things are better in Thailand, but alot of things are alot worse in Thailand.

Most Farangs move here to begin with becuase of : - 1 , the weather . 2 , the girls or a girl. 3 , becuase it was cheap.

Ok when on holiday for a few weeks / months them 3 things are great.

But when living here you can soon find out they are not great at all. 1 , The weather here can be to hot. 2, some thai girls are good looking but then again alot of western girls are good looking to ( just happens that alot of guys on this fourm say thai girls are much better looking than western girls. Do they ever stop and take a look in the mirror and then maybe think why the western girls they have been with are not so good looking ! ? ) , but most of the time when you get to know Thai girls, a real relationship is hard becuase of how different the cultures are. Also i find western girls alot more fun to be around for nights out and to talk to than Thai girls. 3 , Thailand is not as cheap as it once was 5 or 10 years ago, Most things in thailand i can get cheaper and better back in the UK.

Now i no i will get slated by alot of ' we love thailand and thailand is the best country in the world people ' . But i am just saying what i think at least 50 % of the farangs who live here will think but would never say.

I think we have strayed a LITTLE off the original question of why people GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO SAY HOW GOOD THAILAND IS.

I DON'T think people go out of their way to say how good their life is in Thailand. They just reply truthfully how they PERSONALLY feel. Anybody but someone with blinders on knows the good and bad things about Thailand. There's no need to repeat them. And, every country, and specific AREA of each country, is different. How can you reasonablely compare certain parts of London, England to some other part of the UK, such as living in the country? It's an unfair comparison and you can't say one is better than the other. Likewise you can't compare living in Bangkok to living in Chiang Mai, or living in Pattaya, Udon Thani or Phuket... other than stating the obvious. THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT! And, everyone enjoys a different life style. Personally, I don't like big cities. They bore me and I resent fighting traffic to get around. But, I love living somewhere that I can walk into a rural area to find a little piece of nature. However, I enjoy the company of many women, and I'm not going to find that in some rural setting. So, I personally chose some place where I get a bit of both. I enjoy fishing... A LOT! But I wouldn't want to live in the few areas of Thailand that have excellent fishing. It would bore me silly... just as living in ANY city in the world would be boring on a 24-7 basis.

I have 2 maids, a driver, a car paid for me, a salary more than twice that of home, an expense account, a TM account, my own home, travel to every Asian country whenever I want it, great food, fantastic living conditions, good friends....yeah, it's a nightmare here.

Couldn't agree more. I really miss having to clean my own house, do the washing, the ironing, the cooking and the food shopping. I hate the fact that I can get a taxi at any time of the day and that they are so cheap. I really miss the lager louts and footbal hooligans, the graffiti, the filthy trains and the intermittent and unreliable buses. Thailand really is a hardship post. No doubt about it.

Honestly, like so many others, i am sick and tired of hearing ex-pat's complain about the country they 'chose' to live in.

You are not alone.

u11181299.jpg

I don't complain about my home country. I just choose, whever I can, to avoid paying 60 Baht a litre for fuel, 150 Baht for a pint, 350 baht for fish & chips, 3,000 Baht for a speeding fine, 40% tax, Inheritance Tax, Income tax, Council tax, Road tax, VAT at 17.5%, 5,000 baht for an overcoat, 750 Baht per head for an average pub meal, 2,500 baht for a 'standard' rail ticket to go 250 km, 10,000 Baht to have a car serviced and 4,000 Baht short-time (with Thai, obviously).