Koh Chang

nam-thip

I need to vacate Pattaya during the Songran period from the 16th April returning on the 20th when the carnage and mayem has ended.

At the moment Koh Chang is top of my list but i havent been there in years.

Can anyone recommend decent quality family accommodation that’s suitable for two adults and a three year old daughter.

I carried out a Koh Chang search on this forum and some of the information/accommodation recommendations is a bit dated.

I would Prefer somewhere that has its own swimming pool with a children's splash-pool, access to a sandy beach and rooms not mosquito infested as I’ve read that some of the beach hut type resorts mosquitoes can be a problem.

Within reason cost is not an issue.

As I have just mentioned on another Koh Chang thread the Amari is nice, great food and perfect pool for kids, as the bar is nearby. But for other info this site, is very useful. The guy runs a guest house as well, on stilts over a river. Good beaches and food nearby. I guess ferry crossing to the island will be busy prior to Songkrang.

I really enjoyed KB Resort on Kai Bae beach. It was pretty relaxing, with not too many bars around - but still plenty of restaurants and shops. It's right on the beach, and some of the bungalows are beachfront. I believe that there are a/c and fan bungalows. The pool was the best part of the resort. It was a double-layer infinity pool with beautiful surroundings. There was a small kids' pool with a waterslide for small children. I was there last summer but can't remember the prices. I think it seemed a tad high to us considering the island was pretty empty, but the pool was worth whatever we paid.

I like to stay in the Sea View Villa's at Klong Prao Resort

Beautiful pool, villa is steps from the beach where there are magnificent sunsets

Nice place, and nice setting

Only trouble when the TG and i were there, it had more than its fair share of Russian package tourists, and that meant that the nicest of the restaurants (the one in centre of the lagoon) was reserved for "all inclusive" diners.

Apart from that it was a nice place in a quiet part of the island

Penkoprod

Edited by Penkoprod

At a holiday fair we bought a few night at Dusit Princess..if you stay there, perhaps you could let me know what to expect. I'm sure that if you look you may find a reasonable price for that time.

At a holiday fair we bought a few night at Dusit Princess..if you stay there, perhaps you could let me know what to expect. I'm sure that if you look you may find a reasonable price for that time.

You'll probably have the Dusit Princess to yourself. Nice hotel but their artificial beach is a bit of a disaster. Looks great at high tide, at low tide it's a large pool of sludge hemmed in by two sea walls. Can't walk along the beach at all - it's all rock pools here. You'll need your own transport to get to decent restaurants and other good beaches.

Try Chai Chet Bungalows for a good pool, great views, cheapish bungalows. By the sea but not on the beach - 2 mins walk to the sand though and shops & restaurants 5 mins walk away.

Thanks for info so far.

We'll travel by car so resort location and getting around the island won't be a problem, that said, white sands bay is not on my list.

I don't want anything to fancy (Amari) as that might put pressure on the misses to keep the child on a short leash as at three years old she's into everything.

I found a place called Penny's Bungalow Resort at Hat Kai Mook (Pearl beach) which is owned by a German and his Thai lady which might fit the bill as it has a family bungalow with bunk beds.

The beach at this location is rock but having a children's splash pool is more important than a beach.

Link: www.penny-thailand.com

A few others are under consideration including Chai Chet Bungalows so keep them coming.

Web-page links to Koh Chang island itself are plentiful but i found this site to be the best and most honest with regard to the standard of Hotel/Resort accommodation.

Web link: http://iamkohchang.com/

Once again, thanks for input.

Edited by nam-thip

If money is not a major objection, KC Grande on White Sand Beach is nice. It's a genuine 4 star plus resort, the staff across the board have a great attitude, it's right on the best part of the beach, and White Sand is a variety-packed little resort.

"I need to vacate Pattaya during the Songran period from the 16th April returning on the 20th when the carnage and mayem has ended."

Just thought I would mention that Koh Chang has it's own brand of Songkran mayhem, especially on White Sands Beach. Nothing like the Pattaya carnage but if you are looking to escape it maybe stay out of White Sands.

Songkran on Koh Chang finishes on 15 April. But there is 'Songkran 2' the week after, a 2 day New Year party for all the locals and resort staff who had to work during the real Songkran. Much more fun than the official Songkran which is mainly drunk farangs and children throwing water.

A few others are under consideration including Chai Chet Bungalows so keep them coming.

Try the one next door, is called Coconut Beach Resort. Great value for money, nice pool for the kids, straight on to the beach. Close by you will find plenty of restaurants, shops and a supermarket. The resort is situated in the center of the island so easy for getting around as well!

Greetings

Wim

"I need to vacate Pattaya during the Songran period from the 16th April returning on the 20th when the carnage and mayem has ended."

Just thought I would mention that Koh Chang has it's own brand of Songkran mayhem, especially on White Sands Beach. Nothing like the Pattaya carnage but if you are looking to escape it maybe stay out of White Sands.

No problems there as Koh Chang celebrates Songran for three days 13/14/15th and is the reason i'm going on the 16th when its finished.

Try the one next door, is called Coconut Beach Resort. Great value for money, nice pool for the kids, straight on to the beach. Close by you will find plenty of restaurants, shops and a supermarket. The resort is situated in the center of the island so easy for getting around as well!

Greetings

Wim

Thanks for that.

The Coconut beach resort is on my list of possibilities.

No problems there as Koh Chang celebrates Songran for three days 13/14/15th and is the reason i'm going on the 16th when its finished.

My bad, missed that bit. Have fun

Once again thanks to everyone for all your suggestions.

Since I posted this request I found that the daughter will be at Pre-school or summer school from the 22nd March for a period of one month but will break for the Songran period and in true Thai style the head teacher hasn’t decided which days they will close the school.

Until such times as I have those dates I cannot make a booking but it gives me a good opportunity to look through some of your suggestions.

Bearing in mind I have to consider suitable accommodation for two adults and one child the KB-resort is top of my list at the moment with Penny’s resort second now the access road has been concreted.

I found a place called Penny's Bungalow Resort at Hat Kai Mook (Pearl beach) which is owned by a German and his Thai lady which might fit the bill as it has a family bungalow with bunk beds.

The beach at this location is rock but having a children's splash pool is more important than a beach.

My wife & I have stayed at penny Bungalows a few times over the past couple of years & have found the location to be quiet good, close enough to White Sands to get your "western fix" if needed

The pebble beach is a bit of a let down but the pool & garden area is well set out.

You wont be dissapointed if you decide to stay here

My wife & I have stayed at penny Bungalows a few times over the past couple of years & have found the location to be quiet good, close enough to White Sands to get your "western fix" if needed

The pebble beach is a bit of a let down but the pool & garden area is well set out.

You wont be dissapointed if you decide to stay here

Thanks for input.

I was concerned about the condition of the road to Penny's resort but i sent them an e-mail asking for an update and was told the road has now been fully concreted which was good to hear.

I'm aware the beach at Penny's is a poor one in that it's rocky but seeing as i don't like my daughter swimming in the sea a pool is more important.

Edited by nam-thip

Siam Bay Resort, you stay right on the beach. 2500 a night for a nice beachfront hut (concrete, not wooden)

One thing though, if you are driving beware, a few years ago i drove there for songkhran and I had to wait 7 hours to get on the ferry to head back, leave before the end of songkhran or a few days after.

I have also stayed at panviman resort and will stay there again in July, this is a nice place with a great pool and right on the beach.

Edited by tonywebster

Siam Bay Resort, you stay right on the beach. 2500 a night for a nice beachfront hut (concrete, not wooden)

One thing though, if you are driving beware, a few years ago i drove there for songkhran and I had to wait 7 hours to get on the ferry to head back, leave before the end of songkhran or a few days after.

I have also stayed at panviman resort and will stay there again in July, this is a nice place with a great pool and right on the beach.

Thanks for the warning but i will be arriving on koh Chang the day after Songran is finished (16th) on the island and will vacate on the morning of the 20th to arrive in Pattaya when the annual carnage has ended here.

I'll check out the resorts you suggested.