Validation Problem

sceadugenga

Got my laptop fixed last week, it's used to be my Dad's and he really stuffed it up, but I took into town, got it cleaned as it was running hot, and had Windows XP reinstalled.

I took all the original disks and programs and stressed to the techie... "No shonky Windows!!!"

It ran great for a day then bang, validation pop ups appearing.

I've run the bizzos that are supposed to fix it, installed the plug in... no avail.

Also the calendar's in Thai. Can't change it, gone to the locale thingy, changed it to En-Au, nothing.

:)

I took the original disks in to the guy in the shop and he supposedly used them. I arrived early to pick it up and he took one out of the laptop.

If I reinstall wont I lose all the data I've been putting back on it for the last two days?

Why did it run ok for a day before Windows complained? Surely they would have picked it up as soon as I went back on the net?

I the system language (dialogs, menus, etc) are in English then you should be able to re-configure this system to remove Thai specific settings (like the calendar).

It seems you only changed the keyboard locale but not the actual regional settings.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307938

If your laptop still has the sticker with the original Windows XP license you can try to change the key in Windows and then Activate it. But this will only work if you have the same kind of Windows XP version (a hacked corporate cannot be activated with a OEM key).

welo

I plugged in an extra hard drive before I took my computer to the shop for a major upgrade. I took my legal XP Pro disk with it. When I got the computer back it indeed had a counterfeit copy. I reinstalled my legal copy but had to call Microsoft because of the upgrade. It really was not a problem and the phone call took maybe five minutes.

I plugged in an extra hard drive before I took my computer to the shop for a major upgrade. I took my legal XP Pro disk with it. When I got the computer back it indeed had a counterfeit copy. I reinstalled my legal copy but had to call Microsoft because of the upgrade. It really was not a problem and the phone call took maybe five minutes.

I must admit I'm baffled as to why they do that, I've heard of it before. If the correct disks are there why not use them?

You should check which key the guy used for install.

Found one keyfinder on softpedia (be careful with tools from other sources since they might contain malware)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System.../Key-Info.shtml

If you don't have any key (no sticker on the bottom of your laptop), and the guy didn't use a key finder tool to write down your key before reinstalling, than it will be difficult to get your key (or maybe your previous version didn't have a valid key either :))

If the key is different you might be able to change to your valid key with a proper tool and then activate Windows. You might also be able to do a repair install.

Both solutions will only work if the installed Windows edition matches your original one - Home vs. Pro and OEM vs Corp, etc.

Whatever you do, do a backup of your data NOW!

Could be that your tech guy didn't bother to use your original CDs because it is much easier to use on of the Thai distros that come with a bunch of drivers integrated and the Thai localisation already setup.

Right-Click the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop or in the start menu, then select properties. It will tell you what edition of Windows you use and if it is the original or a modifed one (trufaster, skz, etc). If your Windows uses a fancy black/metal style or show any picture in the mentioned dialog, it is most likely NOT installed from the original CDs.

welo

Edited by welo

I the system language (dialogs, menus, etc) are in English then you should be able to re-configure this system to remove Thai specific settings (like the calendar).

It seems you only changed the keyboard locale but not the actual regional settings.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307938

If your laptop still has the sticker with the original Windows XP license you can try to change the key in Windows and then Activate it. But this will only work if you have the same kind of Windows XP version (a hacked corporate cannot be activated with a OEM key).

welo

Thanks Welo that fixed the language up. Much obliged. :)

I'll work on this license thing as well, it certainly makes sense.

Just read your second post. I did notice he had my laptop plugged into his but thought he was just doing the DVD programs etc.

My key is definitely valid, my father bought the laptop new in Australia and never touched the original system.

I keep backed up at all times, learned the hard way there.

Edited by sceadugenga

Right-Click the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop or in the start menu, then select properties. It will tell you what edition of Windows you use and if it is the original or a modifed one (trufaster, skz, etc). If your Windows uses a fancy black/metal style or show any picture in the mentioned dialog, it is most likely NOT installed from the original CDs.

We still don't know what version of Windows you run.

If you have the correct Windows version fixing your validation issue might be as simple as running the activation process - during that process it is even possible to change the product key to the one from your sticker.

welo

I must admit I'm baffled as to why they do that, I've heard of it before. If the correct disks are there why not use them?

Laziness? They can dick about with the original discs which may entail an online or telephone revalidation or, they can use one of their own, cloned, slipstreamed and ultimately bogus (can never be validated without purchasing a complete new license) discs, pocket your money and send you on your way.

Or maybe he doesn't know what 'shonky' means.