Excellent Quallity Beef?

chownah

A neighbor came over and brought some meat from an unborn water buffalo (kwai). When I tried it I couldn't believe it....it was as good as the best beef I have ever eaten...tender beyond belief and excellent flavor.....highly recommended...

A neighbor came over and brought some meat from an unborn water buffalo (kwai).  When I tried it I couldn't believe it....it was as good as the best beef I have ever eaten...tender beyond belief and excellent flavor.....highly recommended...

Kwai is generally too gamey for me, but I never had one that young. BTW, there's an OP/ED in a newspaper a few days ago about the diappearing water buffalos. It seems that the farmers are using them more for foods now that tractors have pretty much replaced them in the field....

A neighbor came over and brought some meat from an unborn water buffalo (kwai).  When I tried it I couldn't believe it....it was as good as the best beef I have ever eaten...tender beyond belief and excellent flavor.....highly recommended...

Kwai is generally too gamey for me, but I never had one that young. BTW, there's an OP/ED in a newspaper a few days ago about the diappearing water buffalos. It seems that the farmers are using them more for foods now that tractors have pretty much replaced them in the field....

I think they have always been part of traditional Thai food...only now that's about all they are used for since the coming of the tractor.

Kwai is generally too gamey for me, but I never had one that young.

:D

Not sure if this would work with water buffalo, but it works with wild game and also sheep (mutton).

The gamey taste can be removed by marinating the meat for few hours in a mixture of water and milk. Maybe 50/50 milk and water, but the exact ratio isn't important. Use enough liquid to cover the meat in a bowl, put a cover over the bowl to keep out the flies, and let it sit for a while.

This works because it is acidic compounds that cause the gamey flavor. Milk is basic, and destroys the acidic compounds.

If the meat is tough, you can also tenderize it with vinegar/water (or citrus juices like lemon juice) mixture. Add some peppers or other spices to the vinegar/water marinade.

:o

I didn't plan to turn this into a cooking class! I learned this stuff from cooking wild game, but I suppose it would also work for Kwai.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Kwai is generally too gamey for me, but I never had one that young.

:D

Not sure if this would work with water buffalo, but it works with wild game and also sheep (mutton).

The gamey taste can be removed by marinating the meat for few hours in a mixture of water and milk. Maybe 50/50 milk and water, but the exact ratio isn't important. Use enough liquid to cover the meat in a bowl, put a cover over the bowl to keep out the flies, and let it sit for a while.

This works because it is acidic compounds that cause the gamey flavor. Milk is basic, and destroys the acidic compounds.

If the meat is tough, you can also tenderize it with vinegar/water (or citrus juices like lemon juice) mixture. Add some peppers or other spices to the vinegar/water marinade.

:o

I didn't plan to turn this into a cooking class! I learned this stuff from cooking wild game, but I suppose it would also work for Kwai.

I have to try your recommendation - have used milk to plump up chicken for Satay, etc. and it works well to tenderize the meat. I have used whiskey to tenderize beef, but never used milk to cut gaminess, just garlic rub......

I would question why it's UNBORN and not a calf. I mean, did they kill the cow or did it die of something and then they pulled the unborn calf out. Sounds strange to me.

That's a good question. The villagers her eat still born animals and also animals that die unless they know it died from something that makes it unhealthy to eat. They also know that I don't eat either of these so I'm pretty sure if it were either of these they would not have offered it to me or told me what it was. When my wife gets back from traveling to a wedding I'll ask her to find out.

have eaten unborn calf ; the cow was killed cause most dairies wont repair certain broken legs and other injuries; also bloat in cows etc can cause death w/o being a problem for humans to eat but from what i've seen, most thai prefer fresh kill and wont touch any animal that was 'put down' or drugged up (medicated) ....

I would question why it's UNBORN and not a calf. I mean, did they kill the cow or did it die of something and then they pulled the unborn calf out. Sounds strange to me.

That's a good question. The villagers her eat still born animals and also animals that die unless they know it died from something that makes it unhealthy to eat. They also know that I don't eat either of these so I'm pretty sure if it were either of these they would not have offered it to me or told me what it was. When my wife gets back from traveling to a wedding I'll ask her to find out.

My wife has returned and her reply to the question of why did they sell the unborn calf was simply that the owners butchered the mother...they knew that there was a baby inside...they knew they could sell the baby too....they probably butchered the mother because they needed the money which is very often how it is decided when to kill animals...when you need the money.