Problem With Ipod

angiud

My Hard disc where I have stored all my music is crashed and will be not so easy to recover the music. Mai pen rai.

But if I want to copy some more album in my Ipod, I think the dumb Itunes will delete all the 5000 tracks I have stored in the Ipod, right?

Any software allow me to put more songs without loose everything??

Sorry if I'm a newbie but not so big feeling with the apples... Thanks

It seems the problem is in the crashed hard drive, not the iPod, so there shouldn't be a problem with music on that iPod being lost, unless you delete it somehow.

Connect to a different computer which has iTunes and you can see what's on your iPod, and should be able to add to what's there.

There are also quite a number of apps which will allow you to download from your iPod to the computer, something iTunes does not permit. iTunes is one way only, from computer to iPod.

Ok. i can connect with an Itune from, say, my laptop, I can see my playlist, but what happen if I want to put in my ipod more albums? Itune delete the old ones??? My guess is yest, but I don't want to try..

download sharepod its free you can then take all your tunes off your ipod to a seperate computer and reinstall them again no problem i did this and i had over 20000 songs it went great even found some that ipod did not recognise first time so i gained a few hundred

Here's the complete How To of importing your iPod songs back into iTunes. The important bit - assuming that you're syncing an iPod with a Mac - is holding down the Command and Option keys when you connect up. On a Mac, the Command and Option keys are the two to the left of the space bar, sometimes known as the 'Apple' and 'Alt' keys. This stops iTunes (now largely empty after your crash) automatically syncing with your iPod, thereby deleting all your tracks. It explains the steps for both PC and Mac users with iPods.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2266004_recover-songs-from-ipod.html

poddox, simple file sharing utility

-- problem with itunes is you have to make sure sync with computer is not checked before you plug in your itunes or it will wipe out your ipod.

poddox, simple file sharing utility

-- problem with itunes is you have to make sure sync with computer is not checked before you plug in your itunes or it will wipe out your ipod.

Absolutely. In addition to holding down the Command:Options keys when you hook up your iPod, you can also go into the "Preferences" menu in i tunes and click the tick box for "Prevent iPod & iPhones from syncing automatically".

Preferences>>>Devices>>>>Prevent iPod & iPhones from syncing automatically

You then just run one of the freeware programs that are available for both PC and Mac to copy from your iPod back into iTunes.

Incidentally, assuming the OP is working with a Mac and an iPod, once you've put in a tick in the "Prevent iPod & iPhones from syncing automatically" box in Preferences (or hold down Command + Option), the iPod will connect and put up an iPod icon onto your desktop, something I don't think happened previously.

I've seen it suggested that once you've knocked off automatic sync, then it's as simple (on a Mac anyway) as clicking on the iPod icon on your desktop, highlighting the "Music" folder in there (or "Music" + "Video" folders if you have both) and dragging them into iTunes. iTunes then copies them.

Worth a try as it seems the simplest method and requires no software, just drag and drop. And possibly it could work in a very similar way if you have iPod + PC.

• 3 months later...

My gf deleted a bunch of favorite music from her library. I tried to save it back from the ipod with every conceivable utility that is out there for free or share. None worked. I would say just bite the bullet, start again.

Ipods do suck in this regard, but hardware is reliable and itunes is really powerful. If you only have a few gigs of music and are happy with that. Any player might do.

You should always have a backup. I have my music on a number drives:

The iPod

Netbook (iTunes Library)

Portable hard drive (Thailand)

External Hard Drive A (US)

External Hard Drive B (US)

Copied to my moms HDD for good measure

Copy to my little brother

Copy to my best friend (who ahs copies in Dubai and US)

26k songs is a lot to lose!