Looking For Holiday Home

well hi,

have some friends of the family who have been to thialand a few times and are now thinking of purchasing a holiday home in samui they no the laws of never owning it out write and understand it will be on a lease they have around £30-35,000 to play with there in there early 50's and all they are asking to find out is if you no any good companies or agencies they can contact when they next visit they plan to use it around three to four times a year a month at a time as they are almost retired(lucky for some)

thanks for your help :o

But with only 2.5 mill in their pocket, they won't get a lot. that much doesn't even buy a good piece of land these days. best to try some websites first, get a feel for the prices and then look shocked.

Buying:

Let me calculate. 2.5 M baht -> not enough to buy land+house

Rent (1):

2.5 Mb / 20.000 = 125.

For 20.000 baht a mont you can rent a very nice house for at least 10 years.

Mmm. lets make this more interesting.

Rent (2) (1 year savings account):

2.5 Mb * 5% interest = 125000 baht / year = 10500 baht a month.

Find a nice house for 10.000 baht a month (not difficult to find) and you can live here without touching the 2.5 Mb.

Rent (3) (5 year or longer fixed on a savings account):

2.5 Mb * 8% interest = 200000 baht / year = 16500 baht a month.

After rereading your post.

If they use it 4-5 months a year. The price of the house can be double what i used as examples.

For 20-30.000 baht a month you get a absolutely nice house, with swimmingpool.

Forget about buying Rent. No worries when the property is empty.

Edited by Khun Jean

You can take a look on www.happy-place.de and click the link to Projects. We did business with this guy and he is absolutely reliable and I think with prices in the range you are looking for.

Edited by farang 55

8% return on a deposit account - no chance! On Sterling max 5% annual interest at best likelihood at the end of the fixed term. Interest rates coming down not going up!

If you rent no potential capital appreciation.

and blimey you rent is not going to go up at all over a 5/10/15 year period very very unlikely!

Wakey wakey!

If you rent no potential capital appreciation.

Western thinking. In Thailand houses not get more expensive unless you find a gullible farang of course. Land will be better to own but wait, ah yes a foreigner can not own land.

Keep your money in your own country where it is save. I agree you can gamble with it when you are still working but when you retire it makes much more sense to put it on a savings account. When you retire you are not waiting for a possible increase in value but you want to spend a nice time.

In Thailand that means rent, not buy.

I go back to sleep now. :o

I can confirm Achim (http://www.happy-place.de) mentioned above is a reliable and trustworthy guy...I have known him for at least 10 years, and some of his customers. He does have houses in your price range. The only neg. thing is the area, known as the Ghost Road which is in bangrak, on Big Buddha Beach. There is another guy further down this road who has uk style maisonettes which are really nice, somewhere in this price range too. Swimming Pool as well and games sala. send me a pm I'll give his name and phone no.