Media File Conversions To Dvd

Encid

As a relative newbie to the world of digital movies and multiple media file formats I'd like to hear other members recommendations about the best way to convert movie files to DVD.

I have no problem with .avi files as they are two channel audio files and I can opt to play them from a memory stick without conversion and set my receiver to 5 channel stereo.

But what about .mp4 and .mkv files that have multiple audio channels (5:1, 7:1 etc)?

My BD player does not recognize these filetypes (they are OK on the PC) and I don't want to convert them backwards to a 2 channel .avi file.

The other problem I have is that some of the .mkv files I have are 8GB or larger... and wouldn't fit on a single DVD. They are supposedly sourced from Blueray data.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I have given up on the idea of writing files to DVD.

I purchased the Western Digital HD player and now keep all my media

files on a Seagate 500Gb disk. Either plugged into the WD player and the TV

or connected to the PC for file transfer.

See the previous discussion here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Watching-Mov...ve-t238818.html

Thanks for that Astral.

Does the Western Digital HD player have HDMI output? And can it play .mp4 and .mkv files and still retain the multi-channel audio?

If so, I could plug it straight into my AV receiver.

Ordinary video and HDMI.

Choice of rca connectors or optical digital output with full surround sound.

You need to connect both as not all files output digital and analogue sound. :)

It plays just about any video format in glorious surround sound. :D

Thanks for that Astral.

I bought one yesterday afternoon at Tukom in Pattaya for 5,290 THB.

I connected it to my receiver and plugged in one of my portable USB drives.

I have folders set up for normal .avi 2 channel video's, .mp4 HD multi-channel videos, and .mp3 music files.

All works like a charm.

:)

I don't think I'll ever need to burn a DVD again... except for data backups of course.

Even though it appears your now sorted i convert all my files to DVD using flick which can be downloaded at: www.dvdflick.net

I have a Sony home theatre that doesn't like certain formats and won't play things like DivX, Mp4 or Avi.

I’ve tried a few converters and DVD Flick has never failed me.

DVD Flick description

Aims to be a tool to convert various PC video formats to a DVD that can be played on pretty much any standalone DVD player

DVD Flick is a simple but at the same time powerful DVD Authoring tool. It can take several video files stored on your computer and turn them into a DVD that will play back on your DVD player, Media Center or Home Cinema Set.

DVD Flick is Open Source, meaning that anyone can download and view or modify the program's source code. It also means that it is absolutely free of charge. Several external programs are used by DVD Flick to do the dirty work like encoding and combining of video material. All of these programs are free, some are Open Source too.

The Flick sw is converting the files to DVD format, which is rather defeating the object

if you start with the relatively small AVI and Divx formats?

The advantage of the Western Digital HD player is that there is no file conversion.

It just reads the files and plays them on your TV and it also handles the

latest MKV and H264 high definitiion formats.