Carrefour

Gladiator

Does anyone know why Carrefour, Hang Dong have removed their selection of international cheeses from their shelves?

They have re-assigned the display of various items - but in the reorganisation, all of the international cheeses, including some of their own brand, have disappeared.

I have not had the chance to check to Carrefour on the super-highway, but if anyone has any information - I would be interested to hear.

Thanks

I noticed the other one on Superhighway cut way back as well.

Lots of the cheeses they carried were very expensive specialty cheeses, made from raw unpasteurized milk, with a rather short shelf life.

Really too bad, as I used to frequent the discount area, where they had lots of 2 for one deals (hint: stinky French cheese doesn't go bad at expiry date- it just gets stinkier and better....:))

Major bummer.

I like the Carrefour in Hang Dong, but the person who chose the location can never have left Paris.

The place is almost always empty, and I would guess the first things to go would be premium international products.

Iain

That location is very handy for me thank you to that person in Paris's wisdom :)

Might be something to do with the strength of the Baht against other currencies.

That's got to be the most pertinent point garyh: The importation costs of places like Carrefour have reduced, but no one has seen a commensurate drop in prices (this doesn't apply merely to Carrefour - Rimping, and the others are just as guilty). As Angiud says, Thais don't musch care for cheese - although that's slowly changing, so they are selling the stuff mainly to Foreigners, many Foreigners have less money because of the exchange rate. So they sell less! The only surprising part is that they don't seem to accept this economic reality and reduce prices- it's almost as if there'd be a loss of face if they did so!

I do a lot of shopping for The Olde Bell and see these supermarkets on a daily basis. Hardly any prices have dropped compared to November 2008, when the world economic crisis started. My Camembert and Brie are the same price as back then, but my customers, in the main, can't afford them. So I buy more locally produced cheeses and offer them as cheaper cheeseboard options. They sell. The more expensive ones don't. I buy less cheese from Carrefour. Others do the same. Carrefour stop stocking them. Supermarkets here don't seem to be savvy enough to do anything about it.

Thais don't like cheese so much.

Perhaps you are right!... but....

When I ask my students if they like Ferang Food - The answer is No!

Still I pursue it -

"Do you like KFC? - Yes!

"Do you like McDonalds? - Yes!

"Do you like Pizza?" - Yes!

But you don't like Ferang food... Really?

My Thai wife likes gratin (?) cheese - pizza; Lasagna; Shepherd's pie with potato cheese gratin on top -etc -

but is not too keen on 'raw' cheddar' and gagged whe she sampled coats cheese with crust on top

Consider the paradox concerning cheese vs durian:

Most Thais do not like 'smelly' cheese but love durian.

Many Ferangs cannot stand the smell of durian but many love 'strong cheeses'

Both can be 'smelly' but tasty!

Go figure....

Might be something to do with the strength of the Baht against other currencies.

That's got to be the most pertinent point garyh: The importation costs of places like Carrefour have reduced, but no one has seen a commensurate drop in prices (this doesn't apply merely to Carrefour - Rimping, and the others are just as guilty). As Angiud says, Thais don't musch care for cheese - although that's slowly changing, so they are selling the stuff mainly to Foreigners, many Foreigners have less money because of the exchange rate. So they sell less! The only surprising part is that they don't seem to accept this economic reality and reduce prices- it's almost as if there'd be a loss of face if they did so!

I do a lot of shopping for The Olde Bell and see these supermarkets on a daily basis. Hardly any prices have dropped compared to November 2008, when the world economic crisis started. My Camembert and Brie are the same price as back then, but my customers, in the main, can't afford them. So I buy more locally produced cheeses and offer them as cheaper cheeseboard options. They sell. The more expensive ones don't. I buy less cheese from Carrefour. Others do the same. Carrefour stop stocking them. Supermarkets here don't seem to be savvy enough to do anything about it.

i wonder how much bottom line foreign foods makes to Carrefour Thailand, i would assume very little compared to local food items that thais buy. Thus, the supermarkets arent focusing on the minority items but larger turnover lines that are the chains bread and butter, even if he gross margins are better on imported cheeses et al.

My mom likes both. I always yell at her. Her and sticky food.... lol Then again she's been living outside Asia for 30 so years now. Although she CANT STAND the smell of vinegar. Neither of my parents can. It just depends on what people are exposed to and how long and whats yummy.

You should get good wine and food and pair it up with cheese. Have you wife try it like that. I use to hate stinky/strong cheese, then I took a wine and food pairing class at my university back in the States. Now I crave stinky cheese and good wine. lol

@whiterussian - I'm still waiting for cheese..... :)

Edited by Yunnie

a stronger baht would mean the imported cheeses are cheaper in baht terms in theory at least

That's it Simon, you've got the gist of the economics! Just that in Thai economics, it hasn't happened!

My mom likes both. I always yell at her. Her and sticky food.... lol Then again she's been living outside Asia for 30 so years now. Although she CANT STAND the smell of vinegar. Neither of my parents can. It just depends on what people are exposed to and how long and whats yummy.

You should get good wine and food and pair it up with cheese. Have you wife try it like that. I use to hate stinky/strong cheese, then I took a wine and food pairing class at my university back in the States. Now I crave stinky cheese and good wine. lol

@whiterussian - I'm still waiting for cheese..... :)

Yes 'Yummy' is the key word! I remember that my wife was first exposed to stinky/strong cheese when on

Christmas Eve - I used to get as many strong/stinky cheeses, as possible, with a good bottle of red or port.

As you say -It depends what folk are exposed to and for how long. One day..... Maybe....

We should invent some durian-infused chevre, Gladiator!

Mcgriffith -Now that sounds like an excellent idea! Of course, the chevre would have to have a nice crusted casing and be running off the table when cut!

Edited by Gladiator

We should invent some durian-infused chevre, Gladiator!

Mcgriffith -Now that sounds like an excellent idea! Of course, the chevre would have to have a nice crusted casing and be running off the table when cut!

Funny enough a couple of weeks ago in KL I saw durian cheesecake on a menu, I didn't try it though

I have heard food nuts saying good cheese is better than an orgasm, I hate to think what there sex life is like.

is that why all you guys are complaining about the lack of cheese in carrefour stores?

the penny drops.... :)