Marriage Visa

BarnicaleBob

I am living in Chiang Mai year around now on my Multi-entry Retirement Visa. I have recently gotten married to a Thai and would like to know if I need to change my visa in any way or if there are any other things or visa options I should know about.

Thanks,

BB

Don't think your visa needs changing, but you'll only have to show 400,000 baht of savings or income when you renew. Which will probably be the last time in your marriage that you'll be better off than before!!!!!

Congratulations by the way. I've been with Mrs Millwall_fan (who's Thai) for nearly 8 years now (married for 5). Once you get over a few cultural hurdles lifes a breeze!

You have the option of a non-immigrant 'O' visa based on marriage, or keep your retirement visa, which although requires twice as much money in the bank for a longer period of time (3 months vs 2) it is quicker and easier to renew.

You have the option of a non-immigrant 'O' visa based on marriage, or keep your retirement visa, which although requires twice as much money in the bank for a longer period of time (3 months vs 2) it is quicker and easier to renew.

Do you have to have money in the bank for a non imm O based on marriage?

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, I have well above the 800,000 baht retirement income so it sounds like I can just leave things the way they are being that it is easier to renew every year.

Thanks,

BB

I understand that neighbouring countries, the Thai embassies that will issue an O based on marriage like to see some money in a Thai bank account. The number 100,000 baht comes to mind.

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, I have well above the 800,000 baht retirement income so it sounds like I can just leave things the way they are being that it is easier to renew every year.

Thanks,

BB

Changed from the marriage visa to retirement visa this year because of all the crap we kept getting when we went to renew.

The retirement visa was a snap - only caveat - I was told once I switched to the retirement visa I couldn't go back to the marriage visa. So as long as you know you will have the 800,000 (or more if they raise it) the retirement visa IMHO is the best choice.

I understand that neighbouring countries, the Thai embassies that will issue an O based on marriage like to see some money in a Thai bank account. The number 100,000 baht comes to mind.

Actually it's 400,000 baht for 2 months prior to renewal (retirement visa requires 3 months) or 40,000 baht per month income from a source outside of Thailand. The hassle with the 'O' visa is that it has to be sent to Bangkok for renewal, so you have to provide 2 copies of everything (and each year the list of evidence seems to get longer) to your local immigration office. The local immigration office keeps one copy and sends the other copy and originals to Bangkok. You are extended one month pending the returned approval from Bangkok. Then when you return, the date is stamped into your passport as of one year from the date you applied the previous month. You don't go through any of that with a retirement visa - except you are required to have twice as much income, or twice as much money in a Thai bank account under your name alone for 3 months prior to renewal.