The North Or The South

citizen821

I have been to Thailand quite a few times but have never really done much traveling north of Bangkok. I'm not sure why this happend, maybe the draw of the ocean. My next trip will be for six months so Chang Mai is definitely on the list. The question is which do you prefer. The mountainous region of the north or the south? I know it's a simple question but there is alot of difference between the two.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have traveled in Chiang Mai once and the South several times. Chiang Mai is nice but I prefer the South. It offers clean air, the ocean, warm weather in the cool season and lots of nice islands. I have never traveled to Phuket or any of the provinces on that side of Thailand but I have seen many of the provinces on the Gulf side. It's good to travel to all regions I think and since I haven't seen the Issan or the Andaman Sea region, those areas are on my list of travel places. Enjoy!

I have been to Thailand quite a few times but have never really done much traveling north of Bangkok. I'm not sure why this happend, maybe the draw of the ocean. My next trip will be for six months so Chang Mai is definitely on the list. The question is which do you prefer. The mountainous region of the north or the south? I know it's a simple question but there is alot of difference between the two.

The north sucks. Its really ugly up here and there is nothing to do. Go south, not north....definetly not north....definitely....

I'll have to agree with Chownah on this one. The North is very nasty, bad air, killer Brit hooligans hanging out at burger joints, drunk falangs littering the streets and what not. The south with it's swaying palm trees, ultra clean beaches and sparkling clear water is definetly the place to go. Cheers :o

lampard10...Where in the Issan do you live? I read somewhere that only 3% of all farang tourists visit the Issan yet it is the place that hosts a lot of the Thai traditions not found in Bangkok and other urban areas. The Issan people are said to be the friendliest on average compared to other regions. It's definitely cheaper to live there but many of the amenities you can find in Bangkok (central location to other provinces, jobs, good schools, plenty of movie theaters and shopping outlets, etc) are hard to come by in the provinces. There are some fairly big towns but many folks live in small villages.

How long have you lived there and how do you get along with the locals?

Someday I hope my wife and I can visit the Mekong River and maybe stay for a few days on one of those houseboats.

Udon...there isn't much of a cool season here in the Western sense of the word but in the mountains it gets down to freezing except there's no snow. Too cold for me...I prefer the tropical heat anytime. One of the nice things about central and southern Thailand is the lack of freezing weather during the winter. The Issan can get quite cold from what I've heard.

Udon...there isn't much of a cool season here in the Western sense of the word but in the mountains it gets down to freezing except there's no snow. Too cold for me...I prefer the tropical heat anytime. One of the nice things about central and southern Thailand is the lack of freezing weather during the winter. The Issan can get quite cold from what I've heard.

Other than a few months in Udorn and Savannakhet and about a year in Vientiane have not lived in the Northeast that much but would call the cool season weather about like Miami, USA (where I also lived for 3 years). You have chilly to cold mornings but within an hour or two of sunlight it becomes very comfortable again. So if you can plan to get up a little later you might avoid the need for a coat. :o

If it were not for the extended family am sure we would consider living upcountry.

lopburi3...if the winters are like Miami winters, then they're not bad. I grew up in Broward County just north of Miami and most winters were not so bad. Usually by noon it was back to shorts and tee shirts. We did have some very cold days though bit it seemed that we had very mild weather every other year.

lopburi3...if the winters are like Miami winters, then they're not bad. I grew up in Broward County just north of Miami and most winters were not so bad. Usually by noon it was back to shorts and tee shirts. We did have some very cold days though bit it seemed that we had very mild weather every other year.

Actually believe they are much milder than Miami (I lived in Homestead) as had no source of heating in Vientiane and it was never as cold as Miami. Now if you camp out on the top of some of the Loei mountains it can probably be downright unpleasant. But at normal living altitude it should not be that bad.

In the north the winters are reallly really cold all day and you'll probably get pneumonia unless you bring all your winter gear. In the summer its really really hot and really really humid. Also....there isn't any nice weather in between....one day it will be freezing cold and the next it will be searing hot....better to go south...not north...definetely not north.....definitely.......try Isaan....but..not..North

In the north the winters are reallly really cold all day and you'll probably get pneumonia unless you bring all your winter gear.  In the summer its really really hot and really really humid.  Also....there isn't any nice weather in between....one day it will be freezing cold and the next it will be searing hot....better to go south...not north...definetely not north.....definitely.......try Isaan....but..not..North

:o:D

In the north the winters are reallly really cold all day and you'll probably get pneumonia unless you bring all your winter gear.  In the summer its really really hot and really really humid.  Also....there isn't any nice weather in between....one day it will be freezing cold and the next it will be searing hot....better to go south...not north...definetely not north.....definitely.......try Isaan....but..not..North

I have to agree with Chownah, it is absolutely awful up here in the north and I should know I've been here for ten years.

The people are so bad. One minute they give you a drink and the next minute they are poking your eyes out with a stick.

And the food...yuck.

Do NOT come here unless you really like insects and maggots 'cos thats all there is to eat.

Isaan is much better.

When you say "the people" do you mean the locals or the foreign residents? One poster mentioned the drunken hooligans but most folks I've talked to say the locals are nice.

If the north is so awful it must be a good job that's keeping you up there.

When you say "the people" do you mean the locals or the foreign residents? One poster mentioned the drunken hooligans but most folks I've talked to say the locals are nice.

If the north is so awful it must be a good job that's keeping you up there.

Actually the locals use the stick in the eye gouging and the foreigners just use their middle finger for this and they usually use the one they wipe with since there is no toilet paper up here either.

You'd really be much better off going south.....or to Isaan....not north.....definitely not north....definitely.....

Edited by chownah

I prefer the south for beauty of the ocean and beaches etc.....

but my thai wife who has travelled all over thailand and lived in every quarter ( her dad was an immigration officer) swears by the people in the north and east.....she reckons they are more honest and freindly...and that the people down south are a very dishonest bunch....and the muslims in the south dont get her started..!!

and no shes not from up north, bangkok girl....born and bred.

:o

Chownah,

Do you have the same problem as me ?

I cannot go out of the house after dark.

There are cannibals roaming the soi.

Oh it's so much safer in Isaan and the women are so pretty there.

Come on lads, I don't think it is fair to concentrate on these small problems and as a result dissuade anyone from visiting the North.

Besides, since we bought the two Dobermans and employed the armed guard, we have never had any trouble from the locals. But that could have something to do with us being only half-way to the North.

BTW, as a matter of interest, do you mange to keep the snakes and scorpions out of the house?

BTW, as a matter of interest, do you mange to keep the snakes and scorpions out of the house?

Just had a snake crawling under the kitchen table the other morning. Scared the crap out of me and my wife. I think it was as scared as us though, as it wasn't too much trouble getting it out of the kitchen.

Love Isaan too.

Chownah,

Thetyim, I really don't know. My first day in the north a mud and puke encrusted beggar with no legs grabbed me by the belt and pulled me down into the mud with him and hissed at me, "Whatever you do don't go out of your room after dark. I did and I'm lucky to get away missing only my legs!!" Then he let me go. I have taken his kind advice to heart and I NEVER go out after dark. So you see I don't know for sure what's out there......but I can imagine..... The south is such a nice place...nice people walking the well lit streets in the evening...its really much better to go south...not north....definitely not north.....definitely......

Chownah,

Come on lads, I don't think it is fair to concentrate on these small problems and as a result dissuade anyone from visiting the North.

Besides, since we bought the two Dobermans and employed the armed guard, we have never had any trouble from the locals. But that could have something to do with us being only half-way to the North.

Keeping snakes and scorpions out of the house? Oh, heavens no!!!! It's like trying to keep the locals from peeing on your doorstep. If you try it will be a loosing battle for sure.

Since you are only half way to the North are your leaches smaller than ours?

Edited by chownah

The snakes and scorpies are the least of my worries.

It's the mossies which are a problem up north.

They are two inches long and can remove 20cc of blood in 10seconds

30 bites and thats a pint gone. A pint thats nearly an armful .

I would gladly move away but I can't because I live here.

Yes, it's better done south... definately.

lampard10...Where in the Issan do you live? I read somewhere that only 3% of all farang tourists visit the Issan yet it is the place that hosts a lot of the Thai traditions not found in Bangkok and other urban areas. The Issan people are said to be the friendliest on average compared to other regions. It's definitely cheaper to live there but many of the amenities you can find in Bangkok (central location to other provinces, jobs, good schools, plenty of movie theaters and shopping outlets, etc) are hard to come by in the provinces. There are some fairly big towns but many folks live in small villages.

How long have you lived there and how do you get along with the locals?

Someday I hope my wife and I can visit the Mekong River and maybe stay for a few days on one of those houseboats.

I hail from 'Surin' now. Home to the poor and famous,where even the ugly girls are beautiful, where the weather extremes reign, where the people are so friendly and the Farang Connection is an institution. Untouched for centuries, yet up to date. Unspoliled by tourism, yet tolerant of tourists. Filled with broken ruins, but ruined before the West was awakened. THere beats the heart of Isaan, here toils the workhorse of Thailand. Here is the real Thailand.

Since you are only half way to the North are your leaches smaller than ours?

Are you talking about the ones that hop on when your having the weekly dunk in the plastic bucket, or the permanent ones (although these seem to become fewer since I got crabs)?

The snakes and scorpies are the least of my worries.

It's the mossies which are a problem up north.

They are two inches long and can remove 20cc of blood in 10seconds

30 bites and thats a pint gone.  A pint thats nearly an armful .

As for the mozzies; we cultivate them now (don’t tell anyone, but we are opening a blood bank alongside the local medicine man next week).

......... I read somewhere that only 3% of all farang tourists visit the Issan yet it is the place that hosts a lot of the Thai traditions not found in Bangkok and other urban areas. The Issan people are said to be the friendliest on average compared to other regions.....

You have hit upon something really important here. The places which get the least farang tourists have the most preserved traditions and the friendliest people. The North has got so many tourists already that these niceties are going or have gone.....that's why its so much better to go south...or to Isaan....but not north....definitely not north....definitely.....

If you have six months then you have time to visit the north and the south and make your own decision. I live in Korat and I love it here. I live in the centre of Korat so I'm able to buy some of life’s comforts, but not all of them. But I'm only a short trip to BKK, so not really too much of a problem for me. I do have to say that I can speak reasonable Thai which does make life her a little more interesting but on occasion just as taxing :o The advantage of the more tourist friendly places like Pattaya is that English is widely spoken and you can buy most things that you need very easily. But if you want to really experience Thailand visit some of the other places where the track leading there has not been beaten to death.

Edited by mpdkorat