How Safe Is Bkk At The Moment?

Polemi

I am planning to go to BKK in about 2 weeks. How safe is it at the moment? I was there when the trouble started sept 08 and didnt notice any violence etc. Is the situation similar to what happened then or is it more like last year?

Thanks

It's pretty much unchanged from any other day. I live near the Skytrain Phayathai station and work near Sala Daeng station. The only unusual thing I've seen so far is a few red shirt guys going on motorcycle along Petchaburi Rd. towards Dusit. They were noisy but very few really, it doesn't compare with April of last year.

I guess if you want to see the demonstration, you really have to go out and look for them on purpose.

As others have noted, as long as you don't go looking for trouble, you should be OK. Some suggestions:

1) If you encounter locals, especially taxi drivers, who ask your opinion re: Thaksin, Abhisit, red shirts, yellow shirts, etc., I suggest you keep your response along the lines of, "I think Thailand and the Thai people are great, and I hope they are able to work this out peacefully..." You know, positive, but non-committal to either side.

2) Keep informed between now and when you depart to come here. Things can change on a dime here.

Hope this helps.

You can wear any colour shirt that you want, especially if you are a foreigner. The only place the colour of a shirt means anything is at a rally site. Go watch a Man U or Liverpool match at a popular Thai hangout for football and you'll see lots of red-shirts!

I always wear any colour shirt i want and never had anyone blink an eye or say a thing.

Bkk protests have never been an issue of safety for foreigners.

Its as safe as always, they've created some traffic jams, but this is Bangkok, bad traffic is normal.

Speculation about what may happen in two weeks, is just that, speculation.

If the way the government has handled the rally so far is any measure, I would not hesitate to visit.

Edited by quiksilva

It seems strange that the Hong Kong government have banned / cancelled organised tour trips to Bangkok as reported in only a few news sources.

Quote : "More than 1,100 travellers from 52 Hong Kong tours bound for Bangkok this week had to scrap or rearrange their plans. "

Here : http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/eas...1044053/1/.html