Red Hom Mali Rice

Are there some members of the forum that planted "red hom mali" rice??

prices for this rice went up from 18 to already 20 Thai Bath/kg....

In average,how many kg per rai can one harvest with this red hom mali rice??

Can one harvest this red hom mali rice in 90 days or 120 days??

Hi importford, since no one with the answer to your question has jumped in, I'll give you my thoughts. The only Hom Mali rice that I know of at that price is organically grown and has to be registered with the local Co-op before the planting season. Calling it Red Hom Mali seems to suggest removing the husk of the rice but leaving on the skin which is red. The rice, I suspect, is no different from ordinary Hom Mali, 4 months and approx 600 Kg/ rai.

Keep in mind however, I'm an electrical engineer/ diesel mechanic/ plumber/ womanizer and the only thing I have in common with farming is that I drink Lao Cow. Just observing the family here in Surin.

finner

thanks finner,

I will check it out with the Co-op.

I also keep on getting different figures :

one farmer told me he can harvest 600/700 kg per rai (Hom Mali)

an other one told me he harvests 1270 kg per rai.

Is it possible that one farmer can harvest that many kg per rai, even with optimal conditions (water, fertilizer,...)???

Or is this simply one of those farmers that doesn't know the numbers or somebody that simply likes to boost???

thanks finner,

I will check it out with the Co-op.

I also keep on getting different figures :

one farmer told me he can harvest 600/700 kg per rai (Hom Mali)

an other one told me he harvests 1270 kg per rai.

Is it possible that one farmer can harvest that many kg per rai, even with optimal conditions (water, fertilizer,...)???

Or is this simply one of those farmers that doesn't know the numbers or somebody that simply likes to boost???

From my experience yes there can and will be a large discrepancy between farms on production. Water, quality of fertilizer, soil quality, quality of seed, hand planted vs hand sow. In my area Kap Choeng typical low 300 kg to 800 kg per rai of Hom Mali. Further north yes they can get that 1200 kg. FYI Hom Mali is being bought for 13.50 baht per kg. In December it was 15.50 baht per kg.

Edited by gotlost

Gotlost, we're getting about 800 kg/rai just north of you. I mentioned 600/rai in my post because it seems to be about average. I'm glad I told the gf to sell off her rice at 15.5 baht gradually since harvest because I've been watching the world market prices going down for several months now. She's all sold out now at 15.5 minus breakage which gave her 14.5 per Kg.

The other advantage to selling everything is that all the rats leave the empty grain house and it can be fumigated for rice weevils. (Always wash your rice before cooking :) )

Importford, let us know what you find out from the Co-op, (sometimes they call it a Group)

Hi importford, since no one with the answer to your question has jumped in, I'll give you my thoughts. The only Hom Mali rice that I know of at that price is organically grown and has to be registered with the local Co-op before the planting season. Calling it Red Hom Mali seems to suggest removing the husk of the rice but leaving on the skin which is red. The rice, I suspect, is no different from ordinary Hom Mali, 4 months and approx 600 Kg/ rai.

Keep in mind however, I'm an electrical engineer/ diesel mechanic/ plumber/ womanizer and the only thing I have in common with farming is that I drink Lao Cow. Just observing the family here in Surin.

finner

Not totally true. I grew Red Hom Mali rice for the first time last year on 6 Rai of fairly sandy soil. Did get a similar yield as for standard Hom Mali and sold half straight away at the local 'rice depot' for 20 Baht per kilo. Hom Mali was going for about 15 Baht per kilo at the time. Still got the rest and sitting on it waiting for hopefully a higher price next month.

finner

Not totally true. I grew Red Hom Mali rice for the first time last year on 6 Rai of fairly sandy soil. Did get a similar yield as for standard Hom Mali and sold half straight away at the local 'rice depot' for 20 Baht per kilo. Hom Mali was going for about 15 Baht per kilo at the time. Still got the rest and sitting on it waiting for hopefully a higher price next month.

exnavy: How many kg/ rai did you harvest?

finner

Is it true that for Red Hom Mali you need a different peeling machine?

Or what other differences in planting, growing?

Yes. Otherwise the red outer coat is abrasively removed and you end up with red 'spotted' grains. I don't know what the difference is machinewise, but we pay nothing for standard 'peeling' and 80 Baht per sack to retain beautiful red grains.

finner

Only 320 kg/rai. However, this was due in the main to poor water distribution over the land. We had attempted to level the land (which when purchased formed a shallow valley), and divide it up into 4 large rice fields but after the first heavy rains we quickly realised that only half was receiving adequate water. To compound the problem, a huge volumn of water entered our land from adjacent property, cutting through waccanas and making it difficult to retain in the fields.

However, we have made several changes since and this our second year, we hope to yield 500 kg/rai at least. Not 600 plus as mentioned by yourself, but enough in my books.

In this short time I have though learned a lot.