Whats The Most Proffitable Thin To Do With 2 Rai Of Land In Isaan

Im just after any ideas what i could do with 2half rai of land. What would be the most proffitable thing to do on it. I do not have to much money to invest but im sure there is something.

Here's the catch, must be something that the locals can not help themselves to everyday as i live in Phuket. My wifes son and father live at the front of the land so they would be able to help with the daily needs of any such idea.

Thanks for any replies

My first answer would be to sell it.

second lease it.

2.5 rai is not that much to be thinking longterm really...garden size! maybe fruit and veg?

I Love White Wine But Can be a Bit Gassy

:)

Edited by Slaps

My first answer would be to sell it.

second lease it.

2.5 rai is not that much to be thinking longterm really...garden size! maybe fruit and veg?

I Love White Wine But Can be a Bit Gassy

:)

Yes very clever! :D

And only you and me know it

:D

I can see that most of the posters replying to your serious question, have been in La-La-Land too long. Obviously, the cheap booze in this country is beginning to affect their capacity to think.

Okay; you have 2.5 Rai of and are looking for serious suggestions as to what to put on it, whilst not wanting to spend a lot of money.

Here's m suggestion: Consider putting on "Ton-Son" - in other words, trees.

The Ton-Son is a tree which is easily recognizable, since it does not have "leaves", but rather "needles". It's almost like a Pine-Tree.

If/when planting these at the right "grid", you will literally see our investment grow,month-by-month and year-by-year.

After 6~7 years (from planting) you will be able to Net. something in the vicinity of Bt. 700,000.-to 850,000.- per Rai.

The lumber Co.will come (after agreement is made with you - and cut these (now mature) trees,about 2~3 Ft. off the ground - and haul the logs away to the Mill.

Meanwhile, these "stumps", will grow again and 6~7 years later, you get a yield from them again.

Then you have to re-plant seedlings,in a grid different from the original one, in order to give the "old roots" a change to dissolve in the ground.

The huge advantage of growing these trees is, that there's only very little maintenance involved. Their needles will (seasonally) drop to the ground, forming a "blanket", which prevents weeds from wishing to grow there.

I am sure that if you would look around your area, you will see plantations of these distinct trees.

We've got 30 Rai of Ton Son, maturing in another 4 years from now.

If you want to get really cool, consider planting Teak-trees (from seedlings,of course) around the outside of your future "forest" at 10 m. intervals. It has many advantages and it looks great.Also; you children may well reap the benefits of this Teak-Effort in teir life-time ! (Teak = a long-term investment)

If you want, PM me for more info.

..... beginning to affect their capacity to think. **

Okay; you have 2.5 Rai of and are looking for serious suggestions as to what to put on it, whilst not wanting to spend a lot of money.

** After 6~7 years (from planting) you will be able to Net. something in the vicinity of Bt. 700,000.-to 850,000.- per Rai.

Sorry, he did not say he has the land.

octavedave: If you have to buy the land, may let it be!? If it woud be possible to do something without some money, sombody may woud do it before?

"........ 700,000.-to 850,000.- per Rai." !? :):D:D!??

Where in Issan? We work with farmer to grow Kenaf for us. We will assist in the planting. just plant it and 5 months later its ready for harvest.

We will provide seeds on credit and deduct when we pay you for the crop. Will pay 850 per ton, you will get about 5 tons per rai. PM me if you are intrested

I can see that most of the posters replying to your serious question, have been in La-La-Land too long. Obviously, the cheap booze in this country is beginning to affect their capacity to think.

The Ton-Son is a tree which is easily recognizable, since it does not have "leaves", but rather "needles". It's almost like a Pine-Tree.

If/when planting these at the right "grid", you will literally see our investment grow,month-by-month and year-by-year.

After 6~7 years (from planting) you will be able to Net. something in the vicinity of Bt. 700,000.-to 850,000.- per Rai.

The lumber Co.will come (after agreement is made with you - and cut these (now mature) trees,about 2~3 Ft. off the ground - and haul the logs away to the Mill.

Meanwhile, these "stumps", will grow again and 6~7 years later, you get a yield from them again.

Then you have to re-plant seedlings,in a grid different from the original one, in order to give the "old roots" a change to dissolve in the ground.

The huge advantage of growing these trees is, that there's only very little maintenance involved. Their needles will (seasonally) drop to the ground, forming a "blanket", which prevents weeds from wishing to grow there.

I am sure that if you would look around your area, you will see plantations of these distinct trees.

If you want to get really cool, consider planting Teak-trees (from seedlings,of course) around the outside of your future "forest" at 10 m. intervals. It has many advantages and it looks great.Also; you children may well reap the benefits of this Teak-Effort in teir life-time ! (Teak = a long-term investment)

So after 6-7 years he will benefit to the tune of nearly 2 million bt just by planting some trees,you make it sound oh so easy??

La la land is where?

I think you should be more clear about the actual costs of doing this and also the benefits if any in the forseeable future?

800.000 a rai??? bah!

So after 6-7 years he will benefit to the tune of nearly 2 million bt just by planting some trees,you make it sound oh so easy??

La la land is where?

I think you should be more clear about the actual costs of doing this and also the benefits if any in the forseeable future?

800.000 a rai??? bah!

Snow ball chance in hel-l. :)

...Im just after any ideas what i could do with 2half rai of land. What would be the most proffitable thing to do on it. I do not have to much money to invest but im sure there is something.

Before you start spending your hard earned crop, what is your source of water? What do the local farms grow? Is there on-site security to ensure that when you send your crew in to harvest it the night shift got there first?

If you have those bases covered then choose the best crop - if you had not considered these questions your best profit will be from selling the land at a loss.

HTH.

Where in Issan? We work with farmer to grow Kenaf for us. We will assist in the planting. just plant it and 5 months later its ready for harvest.

We will provide seeds on credit and deduct when we pay you for the crop. Will pay 850 per ton, you will get about 5 tons per rai. PM me if you are intrested

O.K. 5 tones per rai / 850 per ton !? :) This looks more possible and interresting. What are the cost for fertilzer, work, etc.?

Do you mean this plant?

Kenaf fibre comes from Hibiscus cannabinus L which is similar in appearance to the hemp plant but of a different botanical family. Like hemp, kenaf grows ...

www.binhaitimes.com/kenaf.html

Hi.

I'm interested in finding out more about the Ton Son tree. We have about 60 rai in Petchabun province and I intend to plant at least half with teak, but I'm interested in any other alternatives as well - especially something that may give us a small income in a few years (the teak is obviously a more long term investment) With the Brit pension not indexed it will quickly dwindle in buying power.

Can you link me to any info? I've tried searching on Google and Thai Visa, but found little reference to them.

Cheers

(PM means?)

I'm interested in learning more, but don't know what a PM is (or am I already doing a PM?).

Let me know how to get in touch for moe info.

Cheers

Cassava is what many grow up that way.

There are quite a few factories in Isaan that buy it to make into starch. (Usually COD.)

Cassava has the advantage that it can be left in the ground ('stored') a year or more past its formal harvest date, in case you're not there, or the market isn't right or whatever.

You can make money from two rai. The first thing you need is a year round water supply. Vegetables are always in demand and easy to sell. The problem with a vegetable farm is that it is VERY hard work and by farang financial standards, certainly not worth the effort. When vegetables are ready to be harvested, you would have to be there 24/7 or they will disappear.

There is NO easy way to make money from the land. That should be quite obvious. Take a look around and see if you can find any rich farmers who scratch to to make a living off the average size farm. The average size farm being ten rai.

Some people try to sell you on plans to get rich from exotic crops. Have you seen anyone who actually makes money from these schemes?

If it is near your house and you have a good water supply to get through the dry season, and if you are willing to take this 'gamble'... Try agar-wood, thai call this Kritsana.

The trees can be bought real cheap when they are small. You will have to replace about 20% of them after the first year (even if you take real good care) but after the second year they become much less demanding. We have put 300 trees per rai and about 250 still live (after almost 2 years).

These trees can produce a very profitable resin, but they do not always do so. After they are about 3 years old you can stimulate them to produce this resin by giving them injections with iron, yeast and sodium bisulfite (not sure if I got that last name right, but it is NaHSO3, a commonly used perservative).

This resin does over 40,000 euro/Kg (that is more expensive than gold). If you are not interested in setting up a factory to extract this resin, you can sell the trees for about 100,000 THB per tree if they contain the resin, or they will pay 1,000,000 Baht per rai for the trees (untested).

If the trees grow well, they may be ready to sell after 6 year, but I think 10 years would be more realistic.

So, invest about 25,000 THB in trees, water and work and after 10 years this will give you 1,000,000 THB (per rai).

Big surprise, I agree with Gary....

2.5 rai (only an acre and smaller than a lot of backyards I took care of with a Sthil push mower back in the day) won't earn you anywhere near where you think it will.

Case in point; my mother-in-law harvested her 50 rai of corn back in February and grossed 400,000 THB (actually netted it as yours truly essentially handled all of the costs involved with chemicals/fuel/etc--but now she's a firm believer in doing the right thingtm and planning for the future) which means with a lot of hard work and investment she got all of 8000 THB per rai. Even running two crops a year you're going to gross 40,000 THB raising corn on that little plot of land; as much as you'd make as an English teacher at a good school in a single month.

Sure there's a lot of speciality crops out there that may (and most likely as not will not because everyone would be doing it if they did) give you a good return. Using the land for some animal husbandry would also be a good bet. Chickens on 2,5 rai would be nice; not too big of an area to fence in and turning over chickens is as simple as taking them down to the market butchered. 2,5 rai is 0,4 hectares and you could easily get 350+ free range chickens in there--and that's at the touchy feely PETA standards. 6 to 14 weeks is all the time it takes to get them to selling age depending on how you're going to feed them with the higher range being those that have to scrounge for their own food. Current prices can be found simply by checking at the local market. There are concerns about some 'wandering' off (on the back of a local's motocyc), predators, depletion of land due to the acidity of their feces, etc. but at least it's a starting point for an idea.

I happen to know two older people who make a living off about two rai. By older, I mean they are over 60. The man and his wife are working in the vegetable patch every day. Their daughter sells the produce. She averages selling about 300 baht per day. They are happy with their income and manage to live fairly well. The daughter does not keep any of the money because she is married to a farang. I seriously doubt that a farang could live on that income and certainly would NOT be willing to work that hard. Two rai is a big garden and takes two people nearly full time to take care of it.

Now may be the time to change over to rice. I'd guess that at least 30 percent of the rice paddies in our area have been leveled and converted to sugar cane. Next year may have a surplus of sugar and a shortage of rice.

I happen to know two older people who make a living off about two rai. By older, I mean they are over 60. The man and his wife are working in the vegetable patch every day. Their daughter sells the produce. She averages selling about 300 baht per day. They are happy with their income and manage to live fairly well. The daughter does not keep any of the money because she is married to a farang. I seriously doubt that a farang could live on that income and certainly would NOT be willing to work that hard. Two rai is a big garden and takes two people nearly full time to take care of it.

Now may be the time to change over to rice. I'd guess that at least 30 percent of the rice paddies in our area have been leveled and converted to sugar cane. Next year may have a surplus of sugar and a shortage of rice.

Thanks for proving my point; while I couldn't find out what he considers comfortable enough for himself, this posts indicates that he thinks that 60 000 THB/month is a good sum for Phuket, 5 1/2 times what your example makes.

I agree with you about the sugar...there's a lot of farms in my neck of the woods up to their eyeballs in it. M.I.L is going to replant corn and we're talking about doing the same since the cassava is out of the ground. Unfortunately area is too hilly and would cost to much to provide the amount of water needed for us to consider rice.

Hi.

I'm interested in finding out more about the Ton Son tree. We have about 60 rai in Petchabun province and I intend to plant at least half with teak, but I'm interested in any other alternatives as well - especially something that may give us a small income in a few years (the teak is obviously a more long term investment) With the Brit pension not indexed it will quickly dwindle in buying power.

Can you link me to any info? I've tried searching on Google and Thai Visa, but found little reference to them.

Cheers

(PM means?)

Hi Mike, i'm looking to buy a small plot of land in the Phetchabun area do you know of any that's available and at what price?

I'm a fellow Brit.

We've got 30 Rai of Ton Son, maturing in another 4 years from now. If you want to get really cool, consider planting Teak-trees (from seedlings,of course) around the outside of your future "forest" at 10 m. intervals. It has many advantages and it looks great.Also; you children may well reap the benefits of this Teak-Effort in teir life-time ! (Teak = a long-term investment) If you want, PM me for more info.

Hi. I'm interested in finding out more about the Ton Son tree. We have about 60 rai in Petchabun province and I intend to plant at least half with teak, but I'm interested in any other alternatives as well - especially something that may give us a small income in a few years (the teak is obviously a more long term investment) With the Brit pension not indexed it will quickly dwindle in buying power.

Cheers (PM means?)

I've only heard the word 'ton son' used for real pines. Am curious to know what other type of tree is referred to as 'ton son.' It can't be pine, because pine don't grow back after being cut at the ground. They only come back if you leave a 'leader' branch which, in a mature tree, is high up off the ground.

I did a bit of nursery supply - growing plants from seed and propagating - to sell to other growers. That doesn't take much property space. I specialized in plants that aren't found in Thailand, so it appealed to farang. The reason it appealed only to farang is because Thais aren't going to buy (or get excited) by a type of tree/plant which they're not familiar with (grapefruit or macadamia for example). For the brief time I did it (15 months) it showed promise, and had several bulk orders.

If the OP is patient enough, he could plant the whole thing in pines. Start by planting them 8 ft. o.c. After 10 to 12 years, harvest the smaller ones for poles. The larger ones, now spaced out further, could then be harvested 20 or more years further on when they're around 2.5 ft. in diameter. Strange but true: pine has as much or even more value than teak in Thailand. That's partly because teak is common and pine is rare, but also because pine is valued for finish work, and the grain in pine is so distinctive. It's the opposite of their comparative values in farang lands.

Hi Mike, i'm looking to buy a small plot of land in the Phetchabun area do you know of any that's available and at what price?

I'm a fellow Brit.

My wife comes from Phetchabun (where she owns a small farm) and tells me

1 Rai of good farmland sells for 70,000bht

1 Rai of good farmland rents for 1,000bht a year

Doesn't look like a good investment to me unless you can produce a worthwhile crop yourself.

You would need to make a return of over 4,000bht per rai per year to make the investment worthwhile, and as you can't own the land yourself why would you invest any money at all?

We've got one rai with river frontage which has mainly noi na trees along with a few coconuts and banana trees. I'm not looking to make any money out of selling fruit but I'm trying to find info on looking after noi na trees, pruning, feeding etc. Can't find much on the 'net'.

Any noi na experts out there?