Internet On The Move

Zen

I've seen people using their laptops to surf the net anywhere and everywhere, even when they're not in a buiding with WiFi.

May I know how do they do this? I saw there's this little thing that look like a thumb drive being inserted in their USB....

Can someone enlighten me please?

Would like to know as well, one of my friends just bought a 3g blackberry, is this way to go?

He told me is what happy with it, looking at email or other, but ever try with notebook yet.

Presume will be difficult for passing tourists as they do not have a fix account with one on the providers!

PLEASE inlight us!

You can connect to the net via a cell phone that has GPRS and or EDGE capability.

A thumb drive looking device will enable a computer giving it Bluetooth.

Then the computer can talk to a cell phone thru Bluetooth and the GPRS will connect to the net.

You are charged on your cell phone account for minutes used.

You can buy these minutes at any 7/11 store and 5 hours costs only 50 baht.

Speeds are slow but you can do email and Google searches fine.

Video and Youtube does not work very well unless you let the full

video download while you go do something else and then watch it later.

Of course a smartphone can connect all by itself with GPRS/EDGE.

Hmm...so what's this air card thingy?

I have a sierra wireless air card ....waste of time.....I have seen in big c, a i fox 3.5 g, like a dongle goes into your usb socket, 4290 bts ,maybe the same as what i have ,very slow, why do the dongle air cards work well in europe but seem slow here?.....try looking in book shop in big c ,south pattaya road .....

they have air cards in tuc com ,but at least the guy there was honest and said very slow....

Zen, not hijacking you post, i am interested to know more as well, i will be on the road for few months, escaping Bangkok and the R.E.D, lol, no just want to give my great old dog a nice life.

Plan to go to Khow Yai and chantanaburi not sure if the hotels i want will have it.

Is anyone on line using a USB Thumb or a phone as connection & happy with the speed here? What company are you using? Have you been travelling with it & how is the coverage? Do you have a monthly account with them as i have at home (Bangkok) true or are you buying time as you go?

Can you do your online Bangkok and international sites without problems..

For the record

An Aircard is a device that plugs in to your computer and provides direct

connection to the GPRS/EDGE network.

It plugs in to a PCMCIA slot, not an USB slot.

And it costs 2-4000 baht, not the 2-300 baht for the Bluetooth USB dongle

Soon nearly all devices and computers will have WiFi built in.

But even then you need access to a WiFi router.

In the future, WiMax will be available in all cities and you will

not need anything but an account to connect to the net.

That is a few years off right now in Thailand and/or The West.

For the record

An Aircard is a device that plugs in to your computer and provides direct

connection to the GPRS/EDGE network.

It plugs in to a PCMCIA slot, not an USB slot.

my notebook spec said:

It also includes a next-generation ExpressCard 34 card slot (replacing the PCMCIA slot)

that mean no possible to an aircard ?

how good in the blackberry and connection ?

When on the road and internet connections are scarce or not available i plug in my SOLOMON USB modem and always manage to get connected.

It's painfully slow at times but allows me to keep in touch.

I bought mine a few years ago in Tuckom in Pattaya where i think they now sell for somewhere between 2-3000 baht.

It connects from a dedicated AIS or Detac sim card which you top up on your mobile then insert it into the modem and away you go.

Solomon quotes (Internet Access up to 460.8 kbps)

I find the average speed to be around 150 kbps which is better than connecting via a mobile phone.

This is the link

http://www.solomon.co.th

Solomon • SEGM-520

Surfing the Internet without Boundaries

The one of a kind Solomon USB EDGE Modem has a built-in USB interface, just simply plug it into any notebook or desktop computer and you will be able to get connected with the internet through the GSM network. Real-time business transaction, send and receive emails, browsing Web database?etc., all in your hands. With the help of Solomon USB EDGE Modem, you can maintain your top mobility, easy access to the internet no matter where you are. It can be used on

a train, in a subway, or in a car just like you are using a physical phone line!

The Most Universal Interface ? USB Solomon USB EDGE Modem is the first of its kind to make use of the USB interface for

the computer to connect to the internet. It takes the DC power directly from the USB interface so there won't be any charging device required.

Key Features

- Application: Internet (High Speed Internet Access up to 460.8 kbps), SMS, MMS, E-mail, Fax

- USB 2.0 interface (no battery required)

- Phonebook Editing (both on SIM & PC)

- Plug & Play

General Specifications

Frequency: Quad ? Band GSM900/1800 MHz, GSM850/1900 MHz

Networks: GSM 850, GSM 900, GSM1800, GSM1900

Data Standard: EDGE Class 10, Multi-slot classes 1-9 up to 236.8Kbps.

GPRS Class 10, coding schemes 1-4 up to 85.6Kbps.

USB Type: USB 2.0 +5V DC (full speed)

SIM card interface: 3.0V interface

Operating Systems: Window 2000/XP Home/XP Pro

Dimensions (L x W x H): 109.3mm x 42.7mm x 17.7mm

Weight: 42g

What you are seeing is a Mobile Internet USB modem. You slot a SIM card in and off you go. No need for a contract as you can use a PAYG SIM to purchase the package to fit your needs. I think DTAC is the best for EDGE.

I wouldn't bother with purchasing a modem only capable of resolving GPRS/EDGE as the networks are beginning to roll out the much 'faster' 3G.

For UK based posters I've have outlined how to get a 3G USB modem relatively cheaply. There is also the option of purchasing an O2(UK) USB modem for around £10 as they don't tend the lock their products.

Why go to all that trouble when you can simply "tether" your cell phone to your laptop? On my Mac it is a very simple procedure using a bluetooth connection between the phone and the computer. No need for any extra cards, dongles or sim cards.

Why go to all that trouble when you can simply "tether" your cell phone to your laptop? On my Mac it is a very simple procedure using a bluetooth connection between the phone and the computer. No need for any extra cards, dongles or sim cards.

Perhaps they may wish to use their telephone for the making and receiving of calls. :)

Perhaps they may wish to use their telephone for the making and receiving of calls. rolleyes.gif

OK, I suppose you have a point if this was going to be a full time connection, but I thought the OP was interested in occasional use when not at home........

Perhaps they may wish to use their telephone for the making and receiving of calls. :)

My old Nokia E51 rings through and interrupts the Internet connection until I am finished with the call. It hooks up to my laptop via bluetooth or USB cable. No problem.

we have just reterned from thailand visiting the in laws in deepest issan,anyway internet on the move was made very easy by useing our

blackberrys(storm 2) just the phones not connected to a pc,brilliant service from AIS, daily pacage 30 bt per day unlimited use for mobile,ideal for

useing windows live,you tube,surfing the net,sendin or recieving e mails, not slow either ,also doubles up as a music player holds 32GB memory

superb bit of kit :) .

I recently purchased a Hutch USB CDMA modem in Pattaya and after 8 years of every kind of connection to include the IPSTAR satellite dish, I find it to be a good value. It is not that fast but you get very close to what is advertised for speed and the I have not lost connect yet. I have had it about 3 weeks. There are limitations on CDMA but apparently, can be used at the slower GPRS speeds around Thailand. The faster speeds are only available in Central Bangkok, Pattaya, Chon Buri and Sriachi.

I have 2 other broadband connections right now that are not doing well for various reasons and my Hutch is fast becoming the one I can rely on. Top speed is not that fast but can do most chores.

I have been using a Vodafone MD950 USB modem GPRS/EDGE (1900bht at Pantrip Plaza in Chiangmai)

With a DTAC internet SIM card (200bht for 100hrs connection per month)

Not the fastest speed but fine for browsing and email, works anywhere you can get the DTAc network.

Just to clarify.

The USB dongles are not for bluetooth, but work like your phone as a modem. Granted there is also bluetooth dongles you could use in case your laptop is old one without bluetooth but if so what is the point using dongle to connect to your phone as you can get a dongle to connect directly to the network leaving your phone free for voice calls.

So just get any operator prepaid sim card, top it up and subscribe to data plan (daily, weekly, monthly, kb quota etc) or pay as you go.

Insert the sim into your phone or to the USB dongle and there you go. Your phone or the USB dongle acts as modem allowing you to connect.

The speed depends on the network and in Thailand it is mainly EDGE/GPRS and 3G or HSPA (3.5G) in selected locations. If you go for the 3G just make sure your phone or the USB dongle is supporting the frequency that your operator is using to be able to connect to their 3G network.

EDGE/GPRS is not that fast but ok for basic use of emails and internet. HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) is fast but it is to remembered that the "speed" is shared between all users connected to the base station providing signal to you so it varies.

Blackberry is good for corporate emails etc and usually reasonably priced. Although it is to be noted that other so called smart phones have the same features nowadays. Likes of Nokia E and N series, iphones, htc....