What Is Your Budget In Thailand?

kevbomac05

a serious answer to your inquiry.

We live in Isaan, In a village, 5 miles from town

I built a new house, under a mil with ac, and all appliances. paid for.

Own a truck and a motobike, paid for.

support and feed a total of four persons with a mix of falng and thai food

have sat and internet

Total income monthly 60K baht

Total expenditures 30K baht

blow the savings on trips around asia

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, we (wife and myself) live in Sukhumvit. Rent was 105,000/month until a year ago and now it's 125,000 a month (excluding electricity charges)

I really don't calculate this too often but it seems like we spend around 250 - 300,000 a month total.

do you really need to spend this much. dont you believe in the sharing of wealth :):D:D

you would feel better housing some homeless thais!`

Unless they have real debts,real problems with drink or real problems with 3 sums,i think he is taking the mickey

Whilst I like the idea of being able to spend 100,000Bt++ every month, the reality is that I'd probably be dead by now if I actually could.

:) I think 200k is ideal. 100k is just scraping by sortof. Trust me, I spent 85k/month last year and it was NOT enough. I need to make more money.

I think what is missing here is what quality of life do we have for our money. A person can spend 200,000 a month and be miserable with hangovers,social problems,relationship problems etc you get the picture. What a person spends doesnot equate into how happy they are in life. I feel people who come here for Thailands simple laid back lifestyle donot need to spend a lot to enjoy the good life here. Driving up your cost of living many times just drives up stress and takes away from simple pleasures many of us came here to enjoy in our everyday life.

I think what is missing here is what quality of life do we have for our money. A person can spend 200,000 a month and be miserable with hangovers,social problems,relationship problems etc you get the picture. What a person spends doesnot equate into how happy they are in life. I feel people who come here for Thailands simple laid back lifestyle donot need to spend a lot to enjoy the good life here. Driving up your cost of living many times just drives up stress and takes away from simple pleasures many of us came here to enjoy in our everyday life.

:D ...Nice try at trying to rationalise that being poor makes you happier than someone who spends money... :D

I could counter by saying a person who spends 200K, could be very happy, doesn't drink, have social or relationship problems...you get the picture. :D

I believe statistically that drinking problems, social problems and realtionship problems are more prevelant in the poorer communities... :)

To quote Billy Connelly in reply to statement by a jurno, that having fame and fortune brings its own problems etc...

"F*kcing B*llsh*t...having money and fame is marvelleous"

I think what is missing here is what quality of life do we have for our money.

1. A person can spend 200,000 a month and be miserable with hangovers,social problems,relationship problems etc you get the picture.

2.What a person spends doesnot equate into how happy they are in life.

3. I feel people who come here for Thailands simple laid back lifestyle donot need to spend a lot to enjoy the good life here.

4. Driving up your cost of living many times just drives up stress and takes away from simple pleasures many of us came here to enjoy in our everyday life.

1. might apply to people with or without money

2. correct

3. correct

4. <deleted>

:)

• 1 month later...

:D ...Nice try at trying to rationalise that being poor makes you happier than someone who spends money... :D

I could counter by saying a person who spends 200K, could be very happy, doesn't drink, have social or relationship problems...you get the picture. :D

I believe statistically that drinking problems, social problems and realtionship problems are more prevelant in the poorer communities... :)

To quote Billy Connelly in reply to statement by a jurno, that having fame and fortune brings its own problems etc...

"F*kcing B*llsh*t...having money and fame is marvelleous"

probably said in his alcoholic stage ;)

Estm. monthly costs. Single. Bangkok.

Rent: none as own but management fee/repairs/cable tv: Baht 5k

Utilities(elec/internet/water/drinking water/land line tel) : Baht 3k

Transport (taxi/BTS/MRT/moto-taxi) : Baht 3k

Health insurance/meds/supplements/vitamins : Baht 4k

Basic groceries(veggies/bread/milk/wash powder Etc.) : Baht 6k

Various:sport and equ for same/PC stuff/clothes/gifts : Baht 4k

So about 25k/mth in base costs. Entertainment, eating/drinking out will add at least 15-20k to that - but can be adjusted depending on income :)

Cheers!

I live in Pattaya , My expenditure is

4000 Bhat for rent for the month .

5000 Bhat for my wife as an allowance

200 bhat a day for food ( for me and the wife ) 200 x 31 = 6200

If we want to go to the cinema we go on a wednesday 60bhat each

If we want to go for a drink we drink in the bars 40 bhat a bottle

If I want to get pissed I go alone as there is only 1 to pay for

WE GET BY ON ROUGHLY 3000 A WEEK

12-15000 A MONTH

:D

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SPEND MONEY TO ENJOY YOURSELF .

When I first came here 5 years ago I was getting 76 bhat to the pound and I would spend 1000 a week thats 76000 bhat . 3 week holidays 5 week holidays .

When you actually move somewhere you dont throw the money about like a fool on a holiday Thailand is so so cheep even at these rates of 47 bhat for 1 uk pound.

If your spending more than 30,000 bhat a month your a fool :D

Thats awesome, I am jealous.

5000 for the wifer aint bad either

My expenditure is 4000 Bhat for rent for the month. If your spending more than 30,000 bhat a month your a fool :D

and living in a 4,000 Baht shack makes you a wise man?

as i mentioned in another post... it's mostly the poor boys who can't afford a decent life style who bitch about and judge other people's expenses and in this case even use insults :)

No, he is right.

The less you spend the more you put in the bank and invest.

Pissing money into the wind only to wake up and bust your as$ all day just to fund your so called "lifestyle" does not sound like fun to me.

So does "troll" on this forum mean "makes more then $500 per month?"

Newsflash people: There are plenty of expats here who are not broke. And more than a few who are rich even by Western standards - these people typically spend in accordance with their disposable incomes. If a guy posting as BKK-MD says he pays 125k/mo on Zuk, i see no reason not to believe. I've looked at several units on Suk that were more expensive. Somebody lives there. Those $150,000 cars you see all over the highways? Some of those are owned by expats.

Just because we are all farang does not mean we are equal in socioeconomic status. The same rules apply as back home. The rich live richly. The poor slum it.

The real rich live normally. You dont get rich by spending your money.

Whilst I like the idea of being able to spend 100,000Bt++ every month, the reality is that I'd probably be dead by now if I actually could.

:) I think 200k is ideal. 100k is just scraping by sortof. Trust me, I spent 85k/month last year and it was NOT enough. I need to make more money.

do you think you are rich ?:whistling:

My bf visited me a month ago we spent like 50,000/month (baht) stayed in hotel 350 baht/nite but its nice hotel tho... we tried to spend carefully we didnt eat expensive food but good thai food we went to night market food there cheap 40 baht fried rice, we went to cinema once a week and we paid 120 baht for ticket except that Shrek movie3D dam_n expensive 240 baht! u lose ur glasses u get fine 2,000 haha i felt uncomfortable wearing it kept falling down coz i have flat nose OMG right tuk tuk in Udon Thani expensive tell ya so we walked sometimes:) mini bus cheap tho only 10 baht and we didnt mind to take it! some forigners got no idea wot it is wot direction it goes but not me i was born and grew up here i looked after him well so nobody can cheat my BF being farang! oh am still thinking wot we spent for ...50,000/months just a bit too much lol or shopping? :P OOPS i did it again babe i promised i wont buy more clothes! haha!

Kitiya

Edited by kitiya1980

All in, I am shelling out B25K. This has been fairly consistent since strong Baht <35.

Much of my expenses visa run, checkup, dental take up 12.5%

The other expenses so low as to be actually fixed anyway.

Very modest lifestyle BKK. Few trips outside cool season, many inside cool season. This accounts for about half of my expenses. If I were not to count medical related and visa runs and trips. I bet I am now living on B15K a month and have a lovely girlfriend.

I pay the rent and for trips in/out of Thailand. Pay my gf to take leave from her job (not incl in above, usually about B4k). My gf gets no money as a direct payout and I insist she work until she is 40.

I have no idea what is coming down the road for US/western currencies. I've seen this coming for years, so the hatches are shuttered until things change or I hit 62.

Firmly committed to simple lifestyle, good for my head, good for the planet. I do like my gadgets, but after that I could care less about material stuff especially about how other people send (waste) their money.

Health is everything. I have a number of ill relatives, they'd pay out every last cent to have their health right now. For me, that includes stress and a bullshix job, living in an expensive country where little is saved yoy.

You can make the biggest money of your life by saving it!

Edited by bangkokburning