Best Ever Steak In My Life Part 2

lingnoi1977

OK, so I finally succumbed to the suggestions - thankyou Posters for your advice/comments/sillness on "Best ever steak in my life" (Part 1).

I, against 30 odd years of strong resistance and deep fear of being spotted by one of my industry colleagues back home :D , indulged in a steak at Sizzler.

Venue -Huay Kaew Rd.

Walking in past the laminated menu with top shelf photography :) I nervously asked for a table for 2, sat down and hastily ordered a Heineken (Can't believe Mr. Chang hasn't penetrated Sizzler yet) which I downed in seconds to numb the ensuing pain I was about to endure.

I ordered a "Loin" steak with chips and salad - I thought I would start at the bottom (300 baht) and work my way to the top (690 baht) if I lived to try again.

Hitting the salad bar, I loaded up leaving just enough room in my stomach for the Main Fare just in case it was good.

The steak arrived with a cute little 'medium-rare' pick in the middle of it. Memories...but without the little coloured celophane ribbon around it.

It smelled like steak. It had the texture of steak. The knife cut through like it was steak. There was no after burn (freezer) smell. :D

This looked promising...

The first bite...I have to say was

pretty good. :D

There was texture and flavour!

Sirloin next time...

I too, like Sizzlers steaks and also their seafood combination.

I would myself generally go for a sirloin as it has less fat.

Now, I am not saying that they are perfect every time but they are more likely to be consistent "most times"

You can like'n it to McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, Wendy's. etc., they are not necessarily the best in town but they are consistent.

The Dukes might produce a good steak and be more likely to be consistent.

But if you go to Riverside, Good View, Gallery, Baan Rai or 99% of the other places in town in can be good one day and perfect shyt the next.

The reason is that they do not have "quality control' or quality assurance" and wouldn't even know that the words meant.

Now whilst I have never ever been in the door of Le coq d'or (or how ever they call it) and am never likely to be I will not pay Baht 6,000.00 for a bit of a cows bum with no greater gaurantee that you would get at Sizzler. OK "coq d'???? might have a bit of ambience but I ain't gonna pay for some ponce to serve me ambience and a shyt meal.

Nuff said.

And when it comes to steak a Thai wouldn't know shyt from shinola so no point in listening to them expounding on the subject.

Now, I am not saying that they are perfect every time but they are more likely to be consistent "most times"

And when it comes to steak a Thai wouldn't know shyt from shinola so no point in listening to them expounding on the subject.

but theyre probably are the ones cooking it at sizzlers :)

Edited by Donnyboy

Sizzlers gives good value for money and the salad bar is a pleasant experience since its included. I brought a ice chest full of strip loin back and Thai mil watched me charcoal one and she handled the cooking while she was on visit. She had the medium rare down pat even though she pointed out that she did not consider it cooked. Not sure I would want to order a well done. even for someone else as it would not be for me.

Anybody tried the steak in Gekko,opposite Pandip Plaza? I often eat their rib-eye steak (199bt) it comes with ample chips and a decent salad which is always fresh.It can be a little hit and miss but most times very good.It does not break the bank to try it.I do recommend their steaks.

Anybody tried the steak in Gekko,opposite Pandip Plaza? I often eat their rib-eye steak (199bt) it comes with ample chips and a decent salad which is always fresh.It can be a little hit and miss but most times very good.It does not break the bank to try it.I do recommend their steaks.

I tried Gekkos breakfast once that was enough to turn me off of trying their other foods.

I got a very good steak at Buonissimo's, even though it is not a steak house.

You're a bit out of date. Its closed. Moved to "Pizza et Vino" a little south of The Imm Hotel at Thapae.

slapout -- did you buy an ice chest full of steaks from Sizzler or bring them into the country from somewhere else? If they came from Sizzler, did you get a special price for buying uncooked meat?

I brought them in from US, might ask where they get their steaks next trip to Sizzlers.

Local beef , ie

- Pon yan kham beef (Thai french)

- KU Beef (Kasetsat University beef)

- Northern Farm beef

Only choose those cuts like Rib eye, T-bone, porterhouse they are better quality than NZ and Australian Import beef available in CM.

Or.. you can get Canadian import and Angus certified ones from our famous supermarket they are expensive but worth the money.

and take the advice from this web site http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-c...ime-steaks.html

or sprinkle seasoning salt on the steak before grilling at least 1 hour.

never marinade your steak in pineapple, papaya, vinegar or any other method that use acid.

Local beef , ie

- Northern Farm beef

Chez Marco's uses KU Beef and it is inexpensive and excellent for local beef, but the Duke's had some Aussie beef recently that was way better. He cooked it over a flame and added mushrooms and it was as tender and flavorful and good as most steaks back home. :)

Local beef , ie

- Northern Farm beef

Chez Marco's uses KU Beef and it is inexpensive and excellent for local beef, but the Duke's had some Aussie beef recently that was way better. He cooked it over a flame and added mushrooms and it was as tender and flavorful and good as most steaks back home. :)

I have never had a bad steak at the Duke's. You can never go wrong by eating there. :D

I agree that Sizzler makes quite good steaks and burgers. Used to go there like once a week when i stayed in BKK. Went a few times her in Chiang Mai and the food is not the same. Could have been a few unlucky evenings, but was not the same as BKK

I have to say that while it is possible to get some good KU beef the Australian beef is more consistent and has better flavor. For the price Australian beef is the way to go. New Zealand beef is somewhere close behind Argentinian beef. While the Argentinian beef can be good they do not have a good grading system.

Thai French is not quite as good as KU and Northern Farms is not as good as Thai French.

Most of the KU beef sold around town has been frozen and is not packaged and trimmed as nicely as the Thai French. The KU has good marbling but doesn't have that great beef flavor that you would find in good Australian and American beef.

Rimping has a good selection of KU beef and if you can hand pick a particular cut and have them cut it to your specifications you will get a decent steak. The Thai French steak available from the shop on the canal road can also be a good steak if you find a cut with good marbling and ask them to cut it up for you. It won't be as tender as the same cut of KU beef but it is fresh so it should be juicier. For stew meat the Thai French, KU and Northern Farm are all good.

I would stay away from most of the New Zealand and Australian beef in the stores. Always frozen and lessor quality grades that make the Thai beef look attractive.

Local beef , ie

- Northern Farm beef

Only choose those cuts like Rib eye, T-bone, porterhouse they are better quality than NZ and Australian Import beef available in CM.

Or.. you can get Canadian import and Angus certified ones from our famous supermarket they are expensive but worth the money.

and take the advice from this web site http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-c...ime-steaks.html

never marinade your steak in pineapple, papaya, vinegar or any other method that use acid.

May I ask why you say that?

On this topic a little while ago:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Steak-Lover-...pineapple+juice

A poster advocated just that, using pineapple juice. Several other posters also commented. I have used pure pineapple juice to tenderize a steak and did not notice any problems.

Just curious.

I have to say that while it is possible to get some good KU beef the Australian beef is more consistent and has better flavor. For the price Australian beef is the way to go. New Zealand beef is somewhere close behind Argentinian beef. While the Argentinian beef can be good they do not have a good grading system.

Thai French is not quite as good as KU and Northern Farms is not as good as Thai French.

Most of the KU beef sold around town has been frozen and is not packaged and trimmed as nicely as the Thai French. The KU has good marbling but doesn't have that great beef flavor that you would find in good Australian and American beef.

Rimping has a good selection of KU beef and if you can hand pick a particular cut and have them cut it to your specifications you will get a decent steak. The Thai French steak available from the shop on the canal road can also be a good steak if you find a cut with good marbling and ask them to cut it up for you. It won't be as tender as the same cut of KU beef but it is fresh so it should be juicier. For stew meat the Thai French, KU and Northern Farm are all good.

I would stay away from most of the New Zealand and Australian beef in the stores. Always frozen and lessor quality grades that make the Thai beef look attractive.

In my experience the KU rib eyes are superior to the Australian and New Zealand rib eyes on offer at Rim Ping. Also, a thick slab of KU chuck steak that has been bbq'd is excellent, and more economical than the rib eye.

Local beef , ie

- Northern Farm beef

A poster advocated just that, using pineapple juice. Several other posters also commented. I have used pure pineapple juice to tenderize a steak and did not notice any problems.

Just curious.

Normally, I would only use an acidic tenderizer on a low quality (chewey) cut of beef. It will turn a quality piece of beef into mush.

Local beef , ie

- Northern Farm beef

Just curious.

No problem, personally, it just the taste and texture that I don't prefer.   

For stir fried, most Chinese restaurants use baking powder to marinade the beef or mutton for 20 minutes.

Agreed! but a place like Sizzlers at least some QA/QC in place.

But most "many anyway" other places (in the realm) don't.

Going back a few years I attended a class in Australia at which a 'training officer' from Burger King also attended. They even trained their staff how to wrap a burger. I suspect they also had training for the people cooking the burgers etc.

And that's the difference in just being shown the hot plate and told the steak is in the fridge and you cook it.

Also places like Sizzler, Burger King, McDonalds, KFC etc., generally welcome constructive comments. If you told someone at a Thai joint that your steak was shyt (in a constructive way) the comment would be unlikely to get to either the owner, manager or the guy cooking it.

And there lies the problem.

Edited by krakatoa

Agreed! but a place like Sizzlers at least some QA/QC in place.

But most "many anyway" other places (in the realm) don't.

Going back a few years I attended a class in Australia at which a 'training officer' from Burger King also attended. They even trained their staff how to wrap a burger. I suspect they also had training for the people cooking the burgers etc.

And that's the difference in just being shown the hot plate and told the steak is in the fridge and you cook it.

Also places like Sizzler, Burger King, McDonalds, KFC etc., generally welcome constructive comments. If you told someone at a Thai joint that your steak was shyt (in a constructive way) the comment would be unlikely to get to either the owner, manager or the guy cooking it.

And there lies the problem.

And here is the thing in Thailand. Almost every "commercial" institution or place of high public traffic volume seems to have half decent food.

• Sizzler - better steak than 90% of independent restaurants/cafes;
  • Starbucks - better coffee (although they still use Robusta) than most "coffee bars" around town;
  • Gas stations and Superstores - delicious cheap Thai food for the most part.

Try and get that back home... :D