Dengue Fever

buadhai

I'm afraid I've got Dengue Fever. Symptoms are the same as last time I had it (Bali, 1977) and match exactly what I read on various health sites this morning: onset two to four days after mosquito bites, horrible headache with severe pain behind the eyes followed by a rapidly rising fever and horrible bone and joint pain.

I'm treating it with just bed rest, plenty of fluids and acetomenophen (SaRa).

What worries me is that having it before puts me at risk for haemorrhagic complications.

I'm pretty sure I contracted it last Friday morning in Surin when I got attacked by a huge swarm of mosquitoes that had gotten trapped in our car overnight.

In any event, I feel like sh1t.

More later. Back to bed now....

I'm afraid I've got Dengue Fever. Symptoms are the same as last time I had it (Bali, 1977) and match exactly what I read on various health sites this morning: onset two to four days after mosquito bites, horrible headache with severe pain behind the eyes followed by a rapidly rising fever and horrible bone and joint pain.

I'm treating it with just bed rest, plenty of fluids and acetomenophen (SaRa).

What worries me is that having it before puts me at risk for haemorrhagic complications.

I'm pretty sure I contracted it last Friday morning in Surin when I got attacked by a huge swarm of mosquitoes that had gotten trapped in our car overnight.

In any event, I feel like sh1t.

More later. Back to bed now....

The horrible headaches,pain behind the eyes,feverand joint pain definately came from Surin. But thursday night,not friday morning I'm thinking. This post tells me why I've had a couple of E-mails about denque fever in Surin. I mailed back no,but is denque fever like Malaria in the sense that once you've had it you cannot ever get rid of it? Keep me posted on your condition Mike.......................btw what breakfast did you have friday morning?

Quick update. My wife confirms there is denque fever not only in Surin,but all over Thailand.

Edited by lampard10

Geeesh Mike, just read your post. Luckily for me, I don't seem, as yet anyway, to have any of the symptons you describe. I just dug out the Lonely Planet guide to Thailand to read about this. It does suggest that "you should seek medical attention as soon as possible....a blood test can exclude malaria and indicate the possiblility of dengue fever". Hoping for your speedy recovery.

A few months ago, I spent two weeks in the hospital and although they were able to treat me with loads of antibiotics, I was never told what exactly was wrong, a viral infection was their verdict.

I still suspect it was dengue and that some people were ordered to keep quiet about dengue cases in order not to hurt tourism, but the tourists themselves :o

Go and see a doctor mate it's not worth the risk. You won't be able to tell what strain you have (and what the possibility of haemorrage is) until it is diagnosed. A lot of people in this country have suffered badly and even died from not taking fevers seriously enough, don't be one of them and get some medical help mate.

Put it another way: what have you got to lose?

I'm afraid I've got Dengue Fever. Symptoms are the same as last time I had it (Bali, 1977)

Sorry to hear about this mgnewman,

Your symptoms sound right. I've had Dengue also, in the Caribbean after Hurricane Marilyn in 1995.

Depending on where you read, there are 4 or 5 strains of Dengue, and you should be immune from one strain after having it. Since you had it before in 1977, you are likely to be immune to the strain you have had, and correspondingly that much more possible to have the haemorraggic strain.

It is no joke. Do like everyone says and get yourself to a doctor for examination.

It took me about 16 days to get over it. I hope that you are feeling better long before this.

Sorry to hear your news.

I have had dengue and it is not until you have it that you find out why is is also called 'backbreak fever'

This was posted by P1P some time ago

quote:

I would like to share this interesting discovery from a classmate's son who has just recovered from dengue fever. Apparently, his son was in the critical stage at the SJMC ICU when his pallet counts drops to 15 after 15 Litres of blood transfusion.

His father was so worried that he seeks another friend's recommendation and his son was saved. He confessed to me that he give his son raw juice of the papaya leaves. From a pallet count of 45 after 20 litres of blood transfusion, and after drinking the raw papaya leaf juice, his pallet count jumps instantly to 135. Even the doctors and nurses were surprised. After the second day, he was discharged. So he asks me to pass this good news around.

Accordingly it is raw papaya leaves, 2 pieces just cleaned and pound and squeeze with filter cloth. You will only get one tablespoon per leaf. Give 2 tablespoon per serving once a day. Do not boil or cook or rinse with hot water it will loose its strength. Only the leafy part and no stem or sap. It is very bitter and you have to swallow it like Won Low Kat, but it works.

The full post is at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...28323&hl=dengue

Get well soon

>but is denque fever like Malaria in the sense that once you've had it you cannot ever get rid of it?

No. It is not. Hmm potted version. There are four "types" of dengue (serotypes), called dengue 1 to 4. They can give a range of symptoms ranging from a mild fever (dengue fever) to severe hemorrhagic presentation (dengue hemorrhagic fever and dengue shock syndrome). The last two are *definately* life threatening.

Once you have had one of the four types of dengue, you are immune for life - against that particular one, NOT the other three. The risk of hemorrhagic manifestations is believed to be MUCH higher the second (or third) time you get it, and all four types are in circulation in Thailand.

There is no specific treatment for DF/DHF/DSS, only treatment aimed at the symptoms.

However, at this particular point, with the classic symtoms you have (fever, retro-orbital pain etc), and the fact that you are sure this is a second infection, I would get to a GOOD doc as soon as possible (and make sure you let him know its a second attack). Be particularly aware that the hemorrhagic manifestations can occur *after* you think you have the thing whipped (i.e you think you are getting better than WHAM).

good luck

-j-

(PS: and NO asprin!)

Thanks to all for your encouragement, information and suggestions. I'm feeling much better today. Greatly reduced fever and less pain; so, I'm hoping it's not Dengue.

If it gets worse or I feel crook in the morning, I will head for the hospital first thing Wednesday. I may do anyway just to reduce the social pressure!

:o

Any mosquito repellant brand recommendable in Thailand?

I don't know if you can get it here, but 3M Ultrathon is the best on the market IMO.

Otherwise, anything with DEET.There are lots of products using all sorts of ingrediants,but DEET is the only 100% sure repellant.

this is from the 3M web site.

I noticed that stores sell DEET in concentrations of anywhere from 5% to 100%. How do I know which strength is right for me?

There is no one right answer to this question. The various concentrations of DEET are out there to address different needs. As a general rule, higher concentrations of DEET will offer longer-lasting protection, but this effect tends to level out at concentrations of DEET over 50%. Under most circumstances of casual use, 10% - 35% DEET will provide adequate protection. However, there are certain conditions in which using a higher concentration of DEET may be preferable. These circumstances include the following:

Conditions in which there is a rapid loss of repellent to the skin due to washoff from rain, perspiration, or high ambient temperatures

When traveling to an area where there is a very high density of biting insects (e.g., the Everglades or Alaska)

When traveling to areas where insect bites can transmit serious diseases to humans (e.g., malaria, yellow fever, filariasis, viral encephalitus, etc.)

mgnewman, good to see you are feeling better. :o

Edited by chuchok

For a good Citronella spray, look for the one made by a Thai Hospital, it's in English on the label.

Ahh, here it is...Chaophya Abhaibhubejhr Hospital, Prachinburi, 25000,

Tel: 037-211523

Enjoy saying that name

No deet, but I've never been bitten. :o and I smell like a lemon...

Usually available from small vendors in malls.

I don't think sore throat is one of the symptoms of Dengue.

I thought I had it. Maybe I had a mild case. All the symptoms fit, except I never got a rash. I did experience the so-called "saddle effect" where you think it's getting better after a couple of days and then it gets worse.

What I decided to do was to wait three days -- if I still had I high fever after that I was going to see a doc. I did have a fever, but it was much less. Today, the fifth day, I no longer have a fever (except now and then) and the body ache is pretty much gone. I am still fatigued.

I won't start back in running until tomorrow, but I did take a nice two hour walk at noon today.

(Just another mad dog, I guess; I'm certainly no Englishman.)

:o

I read recently on TV that Vitamin B12 was an effective repellant... can't remember which thread... :o

ingested of course! :D

U can try to test it your self

Take a belt or rope or something like that and put it around your arm tightly.

Same way that doctors do, when they take yor blood pressure.

Keep it(belt)tight until your skin is red.If there begins to show little dark red spots then u may have a Dengue.I´m not really sure about this, but that´s how one doctor tested me on Samui, when i thought that i have it, but it was just somekind of a stomach infection.

'twas the booze  :o

I might agree, but the gathering was Thursday night. No hangover Friday morning. Attacked by mosquito swarm in Ken's car Friday at departure time. Felt fine Friday and Saturday. Started the headache and eye pain Sunday. High fever commenced, rapidly, Monday, mid-morning.

Perhaps 'twas the booze, but I've never had a hangover delayed by three days.

(Or, did it take three days to metabolize the beer?)

'twas the booze   :o

I might agree, but the gathering was Thursday night. No hangover Friday morning. Attacked by mosquito swarm in Ken's car Friday at departure time. Felt fine Friday and Saturday. Started the headache and eye pain Sunday. High fever commenced, rapidly, Monday, mid-morning.

I'd still give it at least another 48 hours before you try running again Mike, especially if you're still experiencing fever and fatigue... the body has to have rest to heal itself.

Why not nip down to the nearest massage studio and have a 2 hour Thai massage session? You'll feel a lot better afterwards. :D

Why not nip down to the nearest massage studio and have a 2 hour Thai massage session? You'll feel a lot better afterwards.  :D

Nearest massage is a two hour walk!

Well, there is the bus....

... full of students and nurses... :o