Kayaking On The Ping River

PlaShadow

I waded across the Ping about two weeks ago up north of Mae Taeng and was amazed how clear the water was. Absolutely clear with not a trace of sediment. Doesn't look that way when it gets to Chiang Mai.

Thanks for posting the pics! Going to have to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a nice way to spend half a day cooling off and enjoying the quiet side of Chiang Mai. Worried cause this is soo nice that if too many people discover it it'll be packed and busy during the season.

Just phone pictures for our trip,

randikevin1.jpg

And here's want it may be like in a few years (Penticton Canal), :)

canal.jpg

This is such a nice way to spend half a day cooling off and enjoying the quiet side of Chiang Mai. Worried cause this is soo nice that if too many people discover it it'll be packed and busy during the season.

Just phone pictures for our trip,

randikevin1.jpg

And here's want it may be like in a few years (Penticton Canal), :)

canal.jpg

looks like a piece heaven right here in Chiang mai !! paddle down river soon come fun , thanks!!!

Edited by zuzkate

• 1 year later...

I did small trip up the Ping a year or so ago when my sister came over from the little pier just south of the Chedi BUT the water was disgusting, I wouldn't want to fall into that....reckon your best bet is follow other peoples advice and get out of town where it is cleaner.

Alternatively, I would recommend getting a little boat at Mae Gnat Dam and stay at one of the floating huts for a night, fantastic scenery and clear, clean water!I have posted this on the wrong thread.....doh!

post-65233-0-62223800-1310405362_thumb.j

Edited by kjhbigv

You can do this on rafts as well. I've done two, one where the raft takes two people and you have to get off and lift it over obstacles, which is great fun and an excellent way to keep cool, and on the bigger rafts where they float down much quieter bits of the river and you can just sit back and enjoy the peace.

You can do this on rafts as well. I've done two, one where the raft takes two people and you have to get off and lift it over obstacles, which is great fun and an excellent way to keep cool, and on the bigger rafts where they float down much quieter bits of the river and you can just sit back and enjoy the peace.

Do you know if there are other companies for this? The website doesn't seem to be working.

Yeah, nice!

Regarding this, does anyone know or has read "Slithering south" by Steve van Beeck? It's a very good read about just that... but cerrtainly not a thriller, more relaxing as if one does the trip himself.. it's a very interesting and intellectual travelogue about Steve's journey sarting in the Ping river, down the main river in Thailand in a small, one-man Thai canoe.