A Con Trick? From Tot?

msg362

My Thai wife got a phone call this morning on the landline ( Chiang Mai0. When she answered she got a ' press this number ' type auto response. Then a lady spoke to her saying she was from TOT and that we had not paid the phone bill of 16,000 Baht.. My wife said that we paid by direct debit, the 'TOT' person. TOT went to check and came back to say that there was a company in Nontanburi called ???"Glass Decoration" or something with a bank account number ( Bangkok Bank). She quoted some number that my wife does not remember.

'TOT' then said the police would call. A few minutes later a 'policeman' rang to 'confirm details' and said he would phone back later.

My wife also pays her mother's phone bill and they received a similar call

All this happened about 8.30 am this morning and we have heard nothing since.

Luckily my wife did not give any bank details, but I cannot work out what it was all about, unless, if we had not paid by direct debit the 'TOT' person would want our ATM details.

Thought I'd warn people and also ask if anyone knows what this is all about

This must be a scam.

Ask yourself, "Why would the police be involved with an unpaid phone bill?"

I never talk to anybody on a phone unless it is human. In Australia, it was common to get a phone call at around tea time. When you answered the phone, you were greeted by an automaton. Upon hearing such a machine, I immediately hung up. These calls were from call centres in India trying to flog (sell) something.

If a person calls you with such allegations as you suggest, ask for their company name so that you can call back & verify the problem. Before you call back, try to verify that such a company exists.

Do the same for the police...if they call, ask for their name, police station & number. Tell them that you will call back. Verify the details before calling.

If neither party wishes to do this, hang up.

Edited by elkangorito

I got something similar on my mobile phone, but had missed the call and had come in as a message

Basically our bill is unpaid (didn't say what bill!) but I assumed DTAC as on my mobile with some instructions.

Took me a few seconds to realise I had paid my mobile bill the day before even covering the bill that had not arrived in the post yet.

Checked again and no mention of DTAC. Uh oh. Delete. So watch out!