New Bridge Now Open

brahmburgers

Was there an opening ceremony? Bridges are great venues for community gatherings.

I was going to hang out and see the latest add-ons to the construction, when - surprise - I was able to drive right on up and over. I stopped at the apex and looked around. Nice spot to hang out. Got some photos also, but haven't crunched them yet to my computer.

I have a feeling it will be called "the middle bridge" though I don't know it's official title.

It's rather fancily decorated, and months earlier I lamented that it was over-built. I observed the stages of it being built, and thought the same span could have been done (two lanes each direction) for half the price - and the money saved could have possibly been spent on something like a riverside bicycle trail or kids' park. But nobody asked me, and I admit it is an impressive bridge, and being impressive was doubtless a major the reason for making it so massive and tall.

Incidentally, the pre-fab concrete girders each set on black rubber pads. The pads start out 2 ft. x 1 ft. x 6 inches high - yet with the immense weight of the girders, they get squeezed down to about an inch and a half thick. It's to protect against shifting from earthquakes. Each of the footings are sitting on about nine pre-fab pilings, each 18 meters long (by 50 cm sq), so that gives an idea of how deep they had to be pounded in to the river bed.

Four photos from the middle of the bridge, ....looking east, south, west, and north

Middle Bridge - a good name - S-pan glang - nearly rhymes

I took a ride across it this morning too and was planning to go back with the camera, no need as Bramburgers has done a good job already. The lamps are the same ornate style as the ones around the clock tower.

Coming from the Overbrook hospital towards the police station, turn left at the police station junction.

Coming from Pizza company/ Night Bazaar towards the police station. Go straight on at the police station junction.

From Bahn Mai market towards the super Highway. Turn right at the lights/junction just past the market. Go straight and it will take you over the bridge to the police station.

C35B.

:)

Until the road on the north side is finished all the way to the Esso station, it is not a viable alternative to the main bridge on the highway to the airport. I do know a couple of guys who will be using it as a shortcut into town from their homes, however.

Coming from the Overbrook hospital towards the police station, turn left at the police station junction.

Coming from Pizza company/ Night Bazaar towards the police station. Go straight on at the police station junction.

From Bahn Mai market towards the super Highway. Turn right at the lights/junction just past the market. Go straight and it will take you over the bridge to the police station.

C35B.

:)

Many Thanks

Until the road on the north side is finished all the way to the Esso station, it is not a viable alternative to the main bridge on the highway to the airport. I do know a couple of guys who will be using it as a shortcut into town from their homes, however.

What about coming from my way to the airport or MaeSai VF?

Usually I cut around past the Army base and come out just before the Airport turn off on the super Highway. Would turning into town and taking the new bridge be quicker/shorter?

I know, I know, go and have a look myself... :)

What about coming from my way to the airport or MaeSai VF?

Usually I cut around past the Army base and come out just before the Airport turn off on the super Highway. Would turning into town and taking the new bridge be quicker/shorter?

I know, I know, go and have a look myself... :)

Once they get the road paved I would say, yes. It looks like a more direct route, than crossing the bridge over by the Dusit. Not sure yet, what they are doing about stoplights on the roads it crosses.