International Driving Permit

Rasseru

I post this not to ask how to do it, but to report on my experience for the benefit of others.

I was successful this morning in getting an international driving permit issued to me at the motor vehicle bureau here in Chiangmai. My research before doing it suggested that this was not always possible, or at least not easily, in the past.

I visited the bureau last week and got a list, in English, of the documents required. One was a residence certificate I needed to obtain; the rest I already had.

I obtained the residence certificate yesterday at the immigration office near the airport. Last week I had stopped off to find out what the requirements were and so arrived yesterday with all I needed. A simple and quick process, conducted with courtesy by the official I dealt with.

I arrived at the motor vehicle bureau this morning at around 9:40. I presented the materials to the same desk on the first floor (second floor for users of the American language) as I had obtained the list of requirements last week. The official reviewed and assembled the materials in the order she wanted them to be, completed an application form and had me sign it and all the pages that were copies of other documents. She handed me the package and sent me off to get a number to wait to be called by another desk. I waited about ten minutes for my turn. I presented the application and paid the fee. I was told the IDP would be ready in an hour at the first desk. In fact, it was ready, and I was called, in about ten minutes.

A very easy and trouble-free process.

Out of curiosity, why an International and not Thai ?

It seems you do not understand what an international driving permit is. An IDP is a document that in effect allows you to use in other countries a driving license that you hold in one country. I have a Thai driving license, two actually. I will be going to another country next month, where I will want to be able to drive. By taking the IDP and my Thai driving licenses with me, I will be able to do so.

I was always under the impression that the IDP was basically a translation of your licence if it wasn't in English. Since the Thai licences are now in English, I didn't think that there was any reason to get an IDP anymore. I've used the new licences in the US and Canada without any hassles at all (including renting).

Then again, perhaps other countries require an IDP. It would be good to know which countries require this for reference.

Edited by earlofwindermere

It seems you do not understand what an international driving permit is. An IDP is a document that in effect allows you to use in other countries a driving license that you hold in one country. I have a Thai driving license, two actually. I will be going to another country next month, where I will want to be able to drive. By taking the IDP and my Thai driving licenses with me, I will be able to do so.

Good explanation. Allot of people thank that all you need is an IDL which is a scam. An IDP is the only recognized legal document for driving in another country backed by your home countries driving license.

Incidently, I was "suckered" into buying an IDL from the company in Phuket who sells them. At the time, I didn't have enough time to get an IDP in Chiang Mai (it was during the time when you had to mail to Bangkok). I took the IDL to Canada and the US. Both countries told me that neither the IDP or IDL were required. In the minds of the rental car companies (and the BC Registry office in Canada), both do the same thing: provide a translation only.

Incidently, I was "suckered" into buying an IDL from the company in Phuket who sells them. At the time, I didn't have enough time to get an IDP in Chiang Mai (it was during the time when you had to mail to Bangkok). I took the IDL to Canada and the US. Both countries told me that neither the IDP or IDL were required. In the minds of the rental car companies (and the BC Registry office in Canada), both do the same thing: provide a translation only.

Yea I have to snicker on IDL'S. Check out the top of this thread. IDP are only validfor 1 year period.

Edited by gotlost

Yea I have to snicker on IDL'S. Check out the top of this thread. IDP are only validfor 1 year period.

all good info, I have a IDL and a existing US drivers license however I was told by the AAA (american automobile association) that the IDL is valid in virtually all countries listed on the contents for 12 month, but for Thailand the validity was 6 month and not 12 month.

I was always under the impression that the IDP was basically a translation of your licence if it wasn't in English. Since the Thai licences are now in English, I didn't think that there was any reason to get an IDP anymore.

First, a minor point. English is not the only 'important' language in the world. An IDP, at least one issued here, provides information about your passport in Thai, English, Spanish, Russian, German, Chinese, Arabic, Japanese and French.

I've used the new licences in the US and Canada without any hassles at all (including renting).

That is both good for you and good to know.

Then again, perhaps other countries require an IDP. It would be good to know which countries require this for reference.

That is exactly the point. It's a country by country matter. In my case, I am going to Bali for a month, and my research taught me that Indonesia will allow me to drive there if I have an IDP together with my Thai driving license.

Always good to cover all the bases, Rass.

It certainly didn't hurt to get the IDP, or IDL.

Just as an aside, the new Thai driver licenses that they started issuing in Jan 2008 are ASEAN compliant- meaning they are accepted in all the ASEAN countries. From Wikipedia:

"Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.[5] Since then, membership has expanded to include Brunei, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam."

BTW, I used my Thai 5 yr license in August last year to rent a car at Alamo at LAX, no problem.

rasserue.

mcgriffith

re .... BTW, I used my Thai 5 yr license in August last year to rent a car at Alamo at LAX, no problem.

i also used my 5 year thai licence to hire a car for a week in the uk in may 09 .... no problem.

their responce when i presented them with a thai driving licence .

thats ok put him down as a foregner !

and i have an english passport and was born there.

go figure ? .... dave2

post-42592-1269535444_thumb.jpg

Always good to cover all the bases, Rass.

It certainly didn't hurt to get the IDP, or IDL.

Just as an aside, the new Thai driver licenses that they started issuing in Jan 2008 are ASEAN compliant- meaning they are accepted in all the ASEAN countries. From Wikipedia:

"Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.[5] Since then, membership has expanded to include Brunei, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam."

BTW, I used my Thai 5 yr license in August last year to rent a car at Alamo at LAX, no problem.

In the UK it is not legal to use an IDL/P backed up with a foreign licence if you hold a UK licence. The major hire companies do check. I have been cought out but only been given a warning. BTW the IDL/P and Foreign licence I held were not issued in Thailand but from another Asian Country. I also had a Thai licence and told the rules were the same. You drive in your home country on your home licence! If you have dual passports it could be interesting!

Check with Hertz etc b4 using them

I

Thanks for that GFB: So is the IDL and the IDP the same? I understood that an International Driving Licence was only obtainable in Bangkok. I've never heard of an international Driving Permit, but if that's available here in Changers maybe I should get one?

Yay I can use mine (when I get it) in Laos. Although... I dont know if I even want to try and drive there. :)

I dont understand why some people here just dont also continue with the license from their own country as well. It could have changed now, but for US citizen, you can reapply for a new license from your state through your embassy/consulate. My uncle has been doing this for years in Vientiane. Only thing is your US license will not have your photo on it. So you will be required to carry something else with a photo ID. By doing this... you never have to take another test. lol

Edited by Yunnie

. . . So is the IDL and the IDP the same? I understood that an International Driving Licence was only obtainable in Bangkok. I've never heard of an international Driving Permit, but if that's available here in Changers maybe I should get one?

My understanding is that there is no such thing as an international driving license, and that the term is a commonly used misnomer for international driving permit. Whether or not you should get one depends on whether you could use one, which in turn depends on where you plan to travel. An IDP obtained in Thailand is of no use at all in Thailand, only in some other countries. And as I have learned - for the first time, unfortunately - from some of the other postings on this thread, it seems that there are a number of countries that will allow you to use your Thai driving license as is, without any need for an IDP.

This is an excerpt from the United States Dept. of State web site:

International Driving Permits

Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses, most countries accept an International Driving Permit (IDP). IDPs are honored in more than 150 countries outside the United States. (See AAA’s application form for the list of countries). An IDP functions as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into ten foreign languages. These licenses are not intended to replace valid U.S. state licenses and should only be used as a supplement to a valid U.S. license. IDPs are not valid in an individual’s country of residence. Before departure, you can obtain an IDP from an automobile association authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue IDPs. Article 24 of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (1949) authorizes the U.S. Department of State to empower certain organizations to issue IDPs to those who hold valid U.S. driver’s licenses. The Department designated the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance as the only authorized distributors of IDPs.

If you check an International Driving Permit it would give instructions to find out what the legalities and implications are. There are too many misconceptions on "International" driving permit/license requirements.

Also, just because in some countries (most I believe) they accept a foreign drivers license when it is presented does not make it legal. It used to be said that it was safer to carry a copy of your passport with while in Thailand. As far as I can tell, that is illegal. You must have your original passport available at all times I think.

The act that instituted International Driving Permits is very, very old. In all practicality it is useless today. However, the act still stands.

MSPain

I would have thought that the reason would be obvious!!

BUT :)

Just they same as getting an IDP in NZ, Aust, GB, Canada or the US.

So that you can legally drive in a country that you do not have a regular drivers licence for.

rasserue..

any chance of posting a pic of your thai idp so we know what one looks like ?

dave2

ps .... this was my one year english idp from when i left in 2005 .... though its probably changed to plastic by now ?

rasserue..

any chance of posting a pic of your thai idp so we know what one looks like ?

dave2

ps .... this was my one year english idp from when i left in 2005 .... though its probably changed to plastic by now ?

Still the same, as they cannot print all the foreign languages plastic :) Here's one issued in Bangkok....

post-7622-1269778508_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
(second floor for users of the American language) ....

Not really OT:

I wasn't aware "American language" existed but - yeah - Spanish is well on its way. Now, let me set the record straight: although we are a minority and English isn't even the national language in no American nation, there are also some of us folks speaking English in America: 215 million people claim English as their native language in America which has about 900 Million inhabitans. That is a staggering 24% of the Americans who speak native English! My conclusion: there is no American language yet, although you Spanish speaker outnumber us by far on the American continent.

Or am I completely confused now and you refer to "American language" as one of the many native languages of America, such as Quechang, Dakota, Zuni, etc.? Na.... that can't be: we have cut down on that long time ago and would be a bit hard to find someone speaking Quechang in a government office in Thailand. :lol:

Un cordial saludo, amigo!

No1, use your brain, will ya?

In plain old everyday English, the second level of a building is called first floor by Brits, and second floor by Americans (and Thais). The distinction was made to make it clear for all of us which floor to had to in that building.

No need to suspect a conspiracy.