Dog Bites Orang

orang37

Sawadee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

After a herculean upper-body half-hour work out with dumb-bells, and feeling somewhat restored from the heat of the day ...

We set off on our nightly bicycle run for soy-milk to the corner of Thanon Charoen Muang and Thaon TeeWee Utit.

On the way back, 2.5 liters of Mama Kali's Hot Breast Milk, in our recyclable containers in our backpack, around a turn, here comes a new doggy on the scene: only this one, instead of just playing "chase" closed and give us a strong bite ripping through our jeans and inflicting two wounds on our lower left calf which started bleeding.

We did give pursuit to that doggy hoping to find out where he lived, but he hid somewhere.

We did talk to a few neighbors, but none of the dogs around quite fit his profile.

So, back home, clean off the wounds, still bleeding, put tea-tree oil and iodine on the wounds, bandage them.

And now what ?

Doctor ? Shots ?

Our very first real dog bite in Thailand.

best, ~o:37;

sorry to hear that Orang.

Shots seem like the only way to go. Was the dog acting strange? foaming at the mouth etc? It's a fairly small window of time where a dog can have rabies before it dies.

Unfortunately its so fatal if there is any doubt then get the shots. That's good however you had some denim on as that would prevent some dog saliva transfer.

The only question which remains is how many sets of shots will you require? just one set for your body or two sets for your body and your narrator.

Let us know how it goes !

orang .... im sorry you got bitten by a dog ( i got bitten by a feral / wild cat a few wees ago )

you have two simple choices here

you hope the dog hasnt got / didnt have rabies and all will be ok : )

if the dog has / had rabies and you do f### all about it .

you are going to die .... no .. ifs and or buts .... you are going to die !

go to your doctor tomorrow morning and get your five injections ... the same as i did if you want to live

up to you .... dave2

ps ... its about 3 thousand baht ... totaly painless ! .... and you will live : )

your choice !

post-42592-1269539491_thumb.jpg

Agreed, shots are the only way to go at this point. If there is rabies, the shots will cure you. If there isn't rabies, the shots will do you no harm.

If there is rabies and you do not get shots, you are not long for this world.

And we wouldn't want to lose you!

Rabies

Because of the high number of stray and wild animals in Thailand, please be forewarned that a rabies vaccination will not protect you from dying of rabies if you simply do nothing after being bitten by a rabid animal. The vaccine gives you time to find medical help, particularly if you are in a rural area and need to travel some distance to a hospital. This means that even when you have had the vaccination, you must go to a hospital within a few days if any wild or stray animal has bitten you. At the hospital, you will need further treatment. If you do not have the vaccination, you must go to the hospital immediately.

Sorry to hear of your less than friendly encounter Khun orang. I think the advice to see a doctor and maybe start a course of shots is probably most appropriate. The chance of the dog having rabies is likely small, but the risk is too great to ignore IMO, McCormick Hospital I think offers good care and reasonable rates for this treatment. Best Wishes.

Here's to better days:

orang.bmp

Hmm... odds are it didnt have rabies... they dont last long in CM i would have thought... what with Thai's being skilled in the art of hitting things.

Got bitten the other day...

The bumpkin type local did tell me it had had its 'shots'...

So I didnt bother doing anything.

oops just read up about rabies, presume it has an incubation period in humans similarly:

http://rabies.emedtv.com/rabies/rabies-inc...ion-period.html

How Long Is the Rabies Incubation Period?

The rabies incubation period may vary from a few days to several years, but is typically one to three months. During this time, the rabies virus is multiplying within the body.

At some point, the rabies virus will travel along nerve cells to the brain. It multiplies in the brain very quickly, causing the end of the rabies incubation period, and the beginning of rabies symptoms. Usually within three to five days, the rabies virus has caused enough damage to the brain that the animal will begin to show unmistakable signs of rabies.

Rabies Diagnosis: Assessing the Risk

•How the exposure occurred (provoked or unprovoked)

dogs like chasing bikes. ergo. rabies free.

I was jogging when i got bitten. Got my hamstring.

Actually got nipped by one of two pekinese type things today - same house... got my calf as i jogged by.. I had been patting it, and then just as i turned...

edit***

I didnt know there was no cure, I thought the shots killed the virus if symptoms appeared.

Sorry bad advice orang... get them shots!

Im risking it. Twas only a scratch...

Edited by whiterussian

I was bitten a year ago, taking a walk in my own neighborhood. The dog, for no reason, chased me without barking and sank his nasty fangs into my bare calf. I got the shots. Series of 4 or five, can't be sure, very inexpensive at Maharaj. Had to do the tetanus too, I think it was 3-400 baht a visit. Get the shots. Google rabies and you will be convinced :)

Does the We and Our refer to one or two people? strange a dog should bite 2 of you in the exact same way at the same time.

I think its an instinctive thing... attack from behind... the cowardly mutts!

Because we were moving targets, the dog gets a feeling of accomplishment... equating our running/cycling away from it as victory!

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

We humbly thank you for your kind wishes, good advices, and expressions of concern !

We did or course take the human meat-form to good Doctor Tawitchai's clinic today, and got a tetanus shot, and the first of five shots for rabies : both shots in the arms, both painless. The remaining rabies shots are spaced out over the next two weeks at intervals of four days, a week, and about twelve days, for whatever reasons.

Dr. Tawitchai mentioned a rabies gestation period in humans of about 90 days.

The Rabies Vaccine is made by a company in France, Sanofi Pasteur SA, and imported by them to Bangkok.

The cost for everything will be around 2k baht.

We appreciate very much Khun Loaded's concern for what the dog might have got from biting us, but the nature of our transsubstantiated dual incarnation of orangutan soul-mind co-mingled with a human soul-mind, for better and for worse, is to co-habit in one regular (well-aged) human body, so unless the dog that bit us is allergic to soy-milk, which we suspect now constitutes a large proportion of our blood, he'll probably get nothing worse than bad breath.

We would like to give that dog a shot, however: something like a 22 caliber bullet right through the head. And that's not a happy thought, either, because we love animals.

Just get the shots, orang.

Unless you can capture the exact same dog that bit you, in the next 24 hours, and test it for rabies....

WHO info that I read after I was bitten estimates the rabies infection rate among the feral (soi) dog population at around 40% here in Thailand.

If you are not started immediately on the course of treatment within 24-48 hours (5 shots for the already bitten)- Verorab....sorry the prognosis is not good.

As in a 100% mortality rate.

In all recorded medical history, there have been only 1 or 2 cases of people infected by rabies, who survived.

This is not something to fool around with...we don't want to lose you, to something so easily treatable, when you have been though so much more.

Get the shots, immediately.

Just get the shots, orang. ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun McGriffith,

Thought it was clear in our first message (today) that we did get the first shot today (and it was, indeed, Verorab).

Thanks for your concern !

Edited by orang37

...We appreciate very much Khun Loaded's concern for what the dog might have got from biting us, but the nature of our transsubstantiated dual incarnation of orangutan soul-mind co-mingled with a human soul-mind, for better and for worse, is to co-habit in one regular (well-aged) human body, so unless the dog that bit us is allergic to soy-milk, which we suspect now constitutes a large proportion of our blood, he'll probably get nothing worse than bad breath...

Maybe your monkey was a dog in a previous life and this thus was nature's balancing of the books for some past aggressive exertion.

Tham dee, dai dee

Tham chua, dai chua

and this applies not only to monkeys but also dogs, humans and redshirts