Motorbikes

Simone

Hi There,

How do you rate the following bikes? Going to invest in a new bike asap and could do with some advice. Please keep in mind that a) i am a girl and don't need a powerful or sporty bike, B) I don't like automatic bikes but I do like automatic clutches, and c) I want a 125cc...

Honda Wave R 125

Honda Dream 125

Suzuki Smash 125

Kawasaki Kaze 125

Tiger 125

Simone

Edited by Simone

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i agree, the honda is the best bet. ###### good little engines on them go for years with a little TLC. If you buy new then make sure you run the engine in slowly, with modern engineering the tollerances are pretty good but it pays to take care for the first 500 - 1000 km. It will then serve you well for years. dont listen to any local mechanic unless you know he knows what he is talking about. The first thing they seem to do to any engine is rev the <deleted> off it to see if it works? Stress that you dont want them to start the new bike without u being there, if they do rev it to ###### walk away, give the poor thing a chance i say.

i agree, the honda is the best bet. ###### good little engines on them go for years with a little TLC. If you buy new then make sure you run the engine in slowly, with modern engineering the tollerances are pretty good but it pays to take care for the first 500 - 1000 km. It will then serve you well for years. dont listen to any local mechanic unless you know he knows what he is talking about. The first thing they seem to do to any engine is rev the <deleted> off it to see if it works? Stress that you dont want them to start the new bike without u being there, if they do rev it to ###### walk away, give the poor thing a chance i say.

i agree, go for a honda simone ,they are the best of the japanese bikes worlwide ive owned a few jap bikes ,the honda,s were the best

Firstly, there is no such beast as a Honda Dream 125.

There are Honda Waves R, S, Z and i.

Personally, I would go for any of the Honda Wave 125's. Parts are easy to get and every mechanic knows how to fix them.

Is the Honda Dream 125 the wife and I looked at today a dis-continued line ? I know Honda is resurrecting the Dream 50R race bike. maybe thats the reason for the good discount he offered .

What's the cost of insurance (1st class), registration and road tax (if any) for one of these kind of bikes ?

I'm not sure if there are different policies of insurance, but, I pay 500 Bht for insurance and tax for my Honda Wave 125i.

Need advice,

I only have a tourist visa and have been renting bikes for way too long. I will not get any other type visa. I want a bike, not a rental.

I have a Honda dealer telling me he will lease me a bike at basicly the price of the bike. They will get license, plates, and insurance for the bike only it remains in their name. Upon termination they will give me fair market value.

Anybody have good results with this method?

Perfered Bike is Honda 125...how much are they going for?

Thx

LLL

I always thought you needed a real visa to buy a bike but I heard somewhere you could do it on a tourist visa...can't remember where, maybe here.

There is a Honda Dream 125, SB, go and have a look in any dealership. May have discontinued the 100/110's but I'm pretty sure the 125 is a goer.

To the op, Honda all the way. They're little workhorses and you'll get a decent buy back rate. A front disc brake is pretty handy.

There is a Honda Dream 125, SB, go and have a look in any dealership. May have discontinued the 100/110's but I'm pretty sure the 125 is a goer.

Really? Never seen one yet. Bought my new Honda Wave 125i three months ago, went to about 10 different dealerships in Phuket. Never saw one. Are they new?

Yep , the Wave is the bike to go for . As a option i would take rims ( like i have on mine ) . First of all , they look nice ... which of course is welcome , but second to that is that standard rims (wheels with spokes ) after a while get a littlebit soggy ( soft , not so strong ... ) , and that doesn't really makes you feel very safe when driving rather fast on corners with 2 people on it . The optional rims set you back for around 4000 bath which isn't really too much . My bike is on my friends company name , i heard it is possible to have it on tourist visa name but it takes quite a hassle . I would like to send a picture of my bike but i don't really know how to resize the picture to make is small enough to send here .

Hi There,

How do you rate the following bikes? Going to invest in a new bike asap and could do with some advice. Please keep in mind that a) i am a girl and don't need a powerful or sporty bike, :D I don't like automatic bikes but I do like automatic clutches, and c) I want a 125cc...

Honda Wave R 125

Honda Dream 125

Suzuki Smash 125

Kawasaki Kaze 125

Tiger 125

Simone

Let me be the first to recommend the Tiger Smart 125. They are just as solid as the Japanese bikes, but without the thousands of baht extra paid to Japan for the royalties. Over 25,000 km logged on one and it's just fine. Any decent mechanic in Thailand can do good work/maintenance on any bike here as they are all very, very similiar.

With so few real differences, save the thousands (particularly if you go with what I would recommend for options - front disc brake and electronic ignition).

Happy motoring...

and "be safe out there"

:o

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am leaning towards a Dream 125cc (Sir Burr - I have seen one in every Honda Dealership I have been into in Phuket) because I think they look nicer than Wave's (I'm a gal, after all!). I also don't like they way Honda has built up the 'dashboard' of the new Waves making it more of a distance for your thumb to reach the very important indicator and horn. I rented a new Wave R for a day last week and I loved the speed (which after renting a wave 100cc was phenomenal!), and I liked the extra space under the seat.

Has anyone found the bulkier dash annoying at all?

Also - is it normal to test drive a morotbike at a dealership? Not sure of the etiquette on this one!

Perfered Bike is Honda 125...how much are they going for?

Honda Dream with electric start is 42,000 and the new Wave R is 42,000 with electric start and disk brakes. As far as I know.

How do I go about sorting out insurance and tax? Will they help me with that at the dealership?

Simone

Edited by Simone

and I liked the extra space under the seat.

Tiger has that same very handy compartment (they were the first to come out with it).

Also - is it normal to test drive a morotbike at a dealership? Not sure of the etiquette on this one!

The Tiger dealership was happy to let me test drive 3 different models. The Suzuki dealer begrudgingly let me ride one. At the Honda dealer I rode two, but they seemed so paranoid, they wanted to ride along.  :o  :D

Honda Dream with electric start is 42,000 and the new Wave R is 42,000 with electric start and disk brakes. As far as I know.

If you haven't already, I'd price a fully loaded (disc brake/electronic start) Tiger Smart 125. Seems the price for Hondas has come down from when I was looking, because at the time, they wanted 11,000 more baht for a similiarly-equipped model. I believe it's the competition that the Thai Tiger has given the Japenses models over the past 2 years that has forced the Hondas/Suzukis et al to come down.

How do I go about sorting out insurance and tax? Will they help me with that at the dealership?

The dealer will take care of the plates, insurance, tax. Returned to them in 3 weeks and it was all there to pick up.

Simone

and no, I don't have a Tiger dealership. I leave all that TV advertising stuff to Jeff and his Segway. :D:D

Just a happily satisfied customer.

:D

I own a Honda wave 125, have had it for two years, still runs like new.

have the oil changed every 2000 kilometers. They will tell you every 4000.  Have the chain greesed every 4000 kilometers. The bike will serve you for many years.

Ride a dream or ride a wave, what could the Beach Boys do with that ?

Ok on topic but with a twist, disk brake or drum? I on a proper bike ie. something above 400cc like to have twin disk on front and drum on back. Reason in the rain a disk brake can take a few turns to spin off the water b4 it bites with one of each u have stopping power at all times. Ok now with these small very light bikes they are putting disk brakes front and back, great u say. But, if you grab a handful of great disk brake on the front end, all you will end up doing is locking up the front wheel and go sliding down the road on your arse. These bikes are far to over braked, unless you spend 1500 Baht up (each) on new tyres that will have a hope of gripping the road under emergency conditions. They are far to light and the rubber is far to hard a compound to stand up to the brakes ability (even with decent rubber). With this set up you are far more likely to have an accident than avoid it. Drum brakes on the front are not really good enough, but would stop you locking front end. Ok if a dog steps out in front of you, first thing is grab brake, best to not and try and avoid it, but most people will just grab brake. Disk brake will lock 90% sure, drum brake wont but you may well hit the dog. Do you fall off? Disk brake yes, drum maybe. So what is every ones experience or oppinion on this if interested at all lol?

Tornado,

Fully agree with you re disk vs drum.

The first Honda Wave 125 I owned had twin drum brakes as I didn't want a front disk brake on such a light bike. Unfortunately, me being a weighty fellow, there just wasn't enough stopping power at the front end.

Bought my second Honda Wave 125 three months ago and went for front disk brake (I think the rear is a drum, can't check as I'm offshore). Found it very scary on how easy it is to lock-up the front wheel, especially on gravel.

Most people's reaction to having to stop quickly, is to grab a handful of front brake. I have managed to wean myself off this, and even in an emergency I now brake with both front and rear, gently increasing pressure 'til I stop.

With these light bikes you really are screwed either way if you are a big person.

If the OP is a not-too-heavy female, I would recommend going for the drum brakes (also will save some money).

I always buy new front and rear tyres before every rainy season.

Disc vs drum ??? Well , i ever have the choice i would go for disc brake in front , even on a light bike . Disc brakes really brake when you want them to , drum brakes are not so sure . A disc brake is much more to the point , so if you squeeze it hard , yes the wheel is blocking and that is a problem . However you can easy squeeze it lighter and have everything in between full stop and minor braking . I have a drum brake now , only because my bike is the 100 cc version which i could buy at incredible low price but in 2 years i'm buying a new one and that will surely be the 125 with disc brake and the rims( which i have now ) .

Sorry got to disagree you definetely need a disk on the front, if you are locking the front wheel up (wet OR dry)you need to check your riding style not blame the force of the brake.

Try finding a quiet bit of road and practice how hard and fast you can stop.Make sure there isnt a 40tonne truck up your arse first though LOL :D

On any modern bike from 125-1000cc,you should be able to have the back wheel of the ground using just the front brake(dont try it in the wet though). :o

Before you see how fast a bike will go,find out how fast it will stop first.

If your riding on gravel a lot then yes use the back brake.Just always remember,be relaxed,be smooth with the controls and assume everyones trying to kill you.

Oh nearly forgot,enjoy yourself :D

Sorry got to disagree you definetely need a disk on the front, if you are locking the front wheel up (wet OR dry)you need to check your riding style not blame the force of the brake.

Try finding a quiet bit of road and practice how hard and fast you can stop.Make sure there isnt a 40tonne truck up your arse first though LOL :D

On any modern bike from 125-1000cc,you should be able to have the back wheel of the ground using just the front brake(dont try it in the wet though). :D

If your riding on gravel a lot then yes use the back brake.Just always remember,be relaxed,be smooth with the controls and assume everyones trying to kill you.

Actually i agree with you, my point was that on these bikes there is no way you can be able to get the back wheel in the air, i am used to riding 1000cc bikes so the importance of good brakes on 160 mph bikes is something i truely do understand. These little machines will just lock up the front wheel as the brakes are far to good for the bike. Good tyres would help that. Riding style has a lot to do with everything, but i didnt say i had come off because of this, i was raising a point that might be of value to someone buying a new machine. Disk brakes are far better, and for general riding hard and fast i would not be without them. Over here i ride a NSR 150 honda they are a quick good handling little bike, bit mosquito like after my CBR 1000 back home or the Triumph,s i had before, but great little bike. But a brake that wont lock the front wheel in an emergency is something to consider on a light, low powered machine. Riding style should always be to the power of the brakes, never the engine and really i was talking about emergency stopping when the finely tuned partnership of bike and rider go out the window and arse clenching, pant staining panick assumes control and most people who do not have 30 yrs of daily bike riding beneath there belt grab a handful of over powerful brake and go sliding down road. The only way to stop, or limit this will be to fit really good rubber front and back. If i had my way every bike would have twin Brembo's on front like the old Ducati i used to have now that really stopped! Saved my bacon on several occasions. But a good bit of rubber on front cost me 180 of my ole english pounds but did what was asked of it everytime.

Ohh and in Thailand what makes you think they are not trying to kill you lol :D

rossiok just read your post on road surface in Thailand, that of course may have a huge factor in the slidy front end on a bike! :o interesting point.

Edited by Boatabike

On any modern bike from 125-1000cc,you should be able to have the back wheel of the ground using just the front brake(dont try it in the wet though). :D

Actually i agree with you, my point was that on these bikes there is no way you can be able to get the back wheel in the air, i am used to riding 1000cc bikes so the importance of good brakes on 160 mph bikes is something i truely do understand. These little machines will just lock up the front wheel as the brakes are far to good for the bike. Good tyres would help that. Riding style has a lot to do with everything, but i didnt say i had come off because of this, i was raising a point that might be of value to someone buying a new machine. Disk brakes are far better, and for general riding hard and fast i would not be without them. Over here i ride a NSR 150 honda they are a quick good handling little bike, bit mosquito like after my CBR 1000 back home or the Triumph,s i had before, but great little bike. But a brake that wont lock the front wheel in an emergency is something to consider on a light, low powered machine. Riding style should always be to the power of the brakes, never the engine and really i was talking about emergency stopping when the finely tuned partnership of bike and rider go out the window and arse clenching, pant staining panick assumes control and most people who do not have 30 yrs of daily bike riding beneath there belt grab a handful of over powerful brake and go sliding down road. The only way to stop, or limit this will be to fit really good rubber front and back. If i had my way every bike would have twin Brembo's on front like the old Ducati i used to have now that really stopped! Saved my bacon on several occasions. But a good bit of rubber on front cost me 180 of my ole english pounds but did what was asked of it everytime.

Ohh and in Thailand what makes you think they are not trying to kill you lol :D

rossiok just read your post on road surface in Thailand, that of course may have a huge factor in the slidy front end on a bike! :o interesting point.

Yep take your points but the one I was really trying to stress to all newbie riders,is to practise stopping.Current training in the U.K. is IMHO laughable for learners for learners on the braking test you ride 10 metres and have to come to a "smooth" stop.Great help when a cars just pulled out on you.

Appreciate your other points,but every new rider I come across seems to simply not understand the importance of knowing how fast they can stop.I always get the impression they think im patronising them.

They seem more interested in getting their Knee down or talking about how fast they can go.

As far as the "Bituminous asphalt Technology" :D lecture on the other thread Ithink its just part of the whats going on around you thing, if you know the surface is crap make allowances.

Yep I might have a bit of trouble doing a stoppie on your CBR 1000 (I take its the old one) with its long wheel base and all.But your NSR 150 no probs.I really fancy one of those(bit of a 2stroke nut).

By the way which duke did you have?I had a 916 which was good (Brembos)But try an R1 best front end and brakes Ive ever tried.

At the end of the day, if you're locking up the font wheel on a bike all the time, whatever size she is, you should stick to driving. 70% pressure on the front brake and 30% on the rear. Don't snatch at the front brake, but be firm and squeeze it. :o:D

At the end of the day, if you're locking up the font wheel on a bike all the time, whatever size she is, you should stick to driving. 70% pressure on the front brake and 30% on the rear. Don't snatch at the front brake, but be firm and squeeze it. :o  :D

Locking up the front end is (if brakes in good order) just lack of technique and skill, the ability to perform a panic stop safely will save your life so as somebody has already said, get out and practise,practise,practise until you are confident that you can bring your machine to a standstill in the shortest possible distance without lock up. jackr is right on the money with his comment and remember a locked up front end does not steer. If confronted by a panic stop situation ,the ability to slow up without losing control will allow you to take evasive action as momentum is lost.

Oh yeh, my bona fides for preaching, 50 years riding everything from Arial Redhunters to Triumph ST Sprints and as a member of Ulysses Club was still doing safe riding courses every year until LoS. Remember the Life you Save May be Your Own..

end of sermon.

At the end of the day, if you're locking up the font wheel on a bike all the time, whatever size she is, you should stick to driving. 70% pressure on the front brake and 30% on the rear. Don't snatch at the front brake, but be firm and squeeze it. :o  :D

I'm always telling the missus that :D