Simone

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Big??? it's <deleted>' Cinerama :D

Yep , sorry :o .... i figured out how to reduce the size of the picture itself but i forgot to resize the format . Well , it's here now ... looks nice doesn't it :D . Here you also see the rims which i would always take as a option . First they look great , 2nd they are more stable ( while spoke wheels give me a kind of uncertainty after a while , a littlebit wobbly in faster downhill corners ) , 3th you recognice your bike instantly when in a line of motorcycles. They are worth the extra 4000 bath .

Ok - I know this post has cooled down a bit but I have one more question. I have chosen my bike and now I could do with a little guidence on maintaining it.

To begin with I'm sure somone mentioned that I should drive at a slower speed for the first few hundred kms to break the engine in gently. IS this correct? Roughly what speed would that be for a 125?

Oil  - checked how often, changed how often, how much will it cost (so I don't get ripped off)

Anything else I should know?

cheers.

Um,theres been a few examples of bikes in the UK that have sufferd "glazed" bores due to meticulous running in,whereas bikes that have been thrashed from new have been no problem at all .

In my opinion,its more important not to let the engine labour in too high a gear,than to drive at lower speeds.

It should burn very little or no oil between changes.If it does,kick up a stink at the shop.

If a previous poster is right and there is no oil filter on it,make sure you stick to recomended changes.AND they put the right grade in.

Have fun. :o

Galzed bores come from running in at the same revs for a long period of time. If you go from CM to BK at 3k rpm you could well get glazed bores yes, but if you run it in a lower revs vary the revs a little this is not a problem and i do very much recomend not thrashing a new engine. New metal parts need to bed in and thrashing it will not help this at all. Fist 500 km take it easy. Vary the revs a little and your be fine. First oil change at 500 km, i would then change agian at 1000 then every 2 k after that. Oil change normaly costs me about 60 Baht so it is well worth doing as often as you can. It is the life blood of your engine. Enjoy your trusty steed!

Edited by Boatabike

Hi There,

How do you rate the following bikes? Going to invest in a new bike asap and could do with some advice. Please keep in mind that a) i am a girl and don't need a powerful or sporty bike,  I don't like automatic bikes but I do like automatic clutches, and c) I want a 125cc...

Honda Wave R 125

Honda Dream 125

Suzuki Smash 125

Kawasaki Kaze 125

Tiger 125

Simone

I've rode a Hondas and Suzukis on the 125cc region and both seem on a par with each other. I think all the above have semi-auto clutches (no clutch but manual change)

Cool. And you figured it out too. :o

Good to see you bought a helmet too. Good thinking!

Nice looking bike... :D

Just might suggest getting a proper helmet and one with a flip-down visor. The amount of junk flying around in the air when riding is incredible. One ugly bug in the eye or dust cloud from a passing truck is all it takes to ruin things.

I agree - the helmet in the basket was a free gift with the bike (as well as a t-shirt and jacket, woohoo!) and it's by no means ideal. It's a poor fit and I would prefer a visor. I'm considering getting a full face helmet - any recommendations?

Cool. And you figured it out too. :o

Good to see you bought a helmet too. Good thinking!

Nice looking bike... :D

Just might suggest getting a proper helmet and one with a flip-down visor. The amount of junk flying around in the air when riding is incredible. One ugly bug in the eye or dust cloud from a passing truck is all it takes to ruin things.

I agree - the helmet in the basket was a free gift with the bike (as well as a t-shirt and jacket, woohoo!) and it's by no means ideal. It's a poor fit and I would prefer a visor. I'm considering getting a full face helmet - any recommendations?

Simone, go to a quality bike shop and splurge on a Shoei helmet (8000BT) the first time you kiss the tarmac you will consider it the best purchase you ever made. if you live Bangkok ,I will send you adress of supplier.

Helmet recommendations? Get one that fits you comfortably - try it on in the shop for at least five minutes. If you feel a hot spot, it will feel like a dental drill into your skull in five minutes more. Get one that's not too loose but snug, because the foam settles in.

Pay the most you can - far more than 600 baht, unless you think your face and brain are only worth 400 baht. I suggest multiple, light, bright colors. Visibility is very important, and on a full-face, it goes both ways - you should be able to see out, and Somchai 100 meters away should notice your helmet.

Glad to see you got a front disk brake. Ride with your right hand almost touching the front brake lever, and your right foot almost touching the rear brake pedal. Use both, not just one; brake firmly but not in a panic.

When you're riding, forget everything else except your survival. A dying parent, a failing student, good sex or good food that awaits you down the road - none of that matters; just keep looking as far as you can in all directions, using your neck, eyes, brains, and mirrors as if everybody's out to kill you.

Happy trails!

IMGP0720.jpg

Here's my new bike.

Slendid.Next stop GSXR1000 :o

Dont forget have fun and assume everyones trying to kill you.

and dont drive pissed.

God I sound like your Dad

Good luck

Quite a thread you started

When you're riding, forget everything else except your survival. A dying parent, a failing student, good sex or good food that awaits you down the road - none of that matters; just keep looking as far as you can in all directions, using your neck, eyes, brains, and mirrors as if everybody's out to kill you.(quote)

sorry just found this .Great advice.

Edited by rossiok

• 3 months later...

Don't seem to be able to get any discount for full cash payment. Is this normal or can you squeeze for extra accessories?

I'm looking at buying a honda wave 125i. Injection and electric start.

Noticed some posts about rims and brake types. (As you can see I'm not the driver) Does the 125i come with the safety drum brakes etc as recommended in this thread?

Should I change the standard tyres?

I got safety safety safety on my brain

Thanks John

Don't seem to be able to get any discount for full cash payment. Is this normal or can you squeeze for extra accessories?

I'm looking at buying a honda wave 125i. Injection and electric start.

Noticed some posts about rims and brake types. (As you can see I'm not the driver) Does the 125i come with the safety drum brakes etc as recommended in this thread?

Should I change the standard tyres?

I got safety safety safety on my brain

Thanks John

When I bought a new CBR150 for cash, my boyfriend talked them down about 1,200 baht, and we got worthless helmets and a jacket.

Drum brakes? On most Thai bikes, safety is not a factor, and I'm guessing that drum brakes are not safe. There is usually a higher priced model with a front disk brake and alloy rims (which are less spindly than wire wheels). Check to see if the model you want, with alloy rims and disk brake, comes with wider tires.

As for safety and control, I think a bike with manual clutch and 5 or 6 speeds is safer than these silly Waves that have an automatic clutch and 4 backward speeds.

I have a Honda Wave S 125. I had a Honda Wave R but it was stolen.

It's very dependable and easy to maintain.

I would buy insurance for theft on top of the basic insurance. Honda Waves are very popular. If your bike is stolen it dosent cover the entire cost of the bike but it will cover most of it.

As for safety and control, I think a bike with manual clutch and 5 or 6 speeds is safer than these silly Waves that have an automatic clutch and 4 backward speeds.

Yeah, but you can't get 4 carrier-bags-full of shopping over the clutch lever then though. :o

• 1 year later...

hi guys

im azizan from kuala lumpur. I just joined your forum today.I need your help on these bikes for my university research soonest possible because the date of submission is tomorrow.

tiger 125

kawasaki kaze 125

kawasaki kaze hit 112

suzuki best 125

suzuki smash 110 junior

i need the following informations:

-in thailand, what are the companies who distributed for each of these bikes?

-when was the companies establised, i mean the year it was established.

-when was each of these bikes launched in thailand?

-where was these bike manufactured? thailand or japan? if in japan, when the bikes launched?

Im really2 hope that u guys could help me on this as i do not have any other sources.if you have any sources like the website,pls inform me. your asisstance is highly appreciated

thanks

Ok on topic but with a twist, disk brake or drum? I on a proper bike ie. something above 400cc like to have twin disk on front and drum on back. Reason in the rain a disk brake can take a few turns to spin off the water b4 it bites with one of each u have stopping power at all times. Ok now with these small very light bikes they are putting disk brakes front and back, great u say. But, if you grab a handful of great disk brake on the front end, all you will end up doing is locking up the front wheel and go sliding down the road on your arse. These bikes are far to over braked, unless you spend 1500 Baht up (each) on new tyres that will have a hope of gripping the road under emergency conditions. They are far to light and the rubber is far to hard a compound to stand up to the brakes ability (even with decent rubber). With this set up you are far more likely to have an accident than avoid it. Drum brakes on the front are not really good enough, but would stop you locking front end. Ok if a dog steps out in front of you, first thing is grab brake, best to not and try and avoid it, but most people will just grab brake. Disk brake will lock 90% sure, drum brake wont but you may well hit the dog. Do you fall off? Disk brake yes, drum maybe. So what is every ones experience or oppinion on this if interested at all lol?

The key word here is control.

I ride a cbr and it has front read disks which I like. Believe me grab a handful of brake and the front end will lock up. But with control it will stop the bike very quickly. On my wifes Wave 125 I have a fornt disk and read drum. The tires are narrower and it will slide ourt if you get too agressive with them but the stop much better than drums. Your statement that drums won't lock is incorrect, they will lock up just as easily but lack the overall braking ability. Also they lack the cooling off of disks so can overheat and fade. Drums are ok in really dirty or muddy areas that can clog up the gab between the disc and the pads but even so most off road bikes have changed over to disks. For road go disk and learn to ride.

Nothing more frustrating then operating one of those pathetic step-through bikes.

They were designed so ladies with skirts could ride a motorcycle. The most serious disadvantage is their wobbly unbalanced ride. This is aggravated by their low clearance and useless suspension which has you slowing to 5 Km for every bump in the road. Automatic means dead slow acceleration, so if you’re in a jam all you can do is hit the brakes and wet your pants.

If you want to ride safe, get something with a little engineering, something with balance. The Phantom and the CBR 150 will do the trick, and you won’t look like a dweeb when you ride either. Pay a few baht more and enjoy the investment.

• 1 month later...

Finally, found this thread on motorcycles. :o I was searching thru the pages!

I would most likely have to go back Singapore, buy one big cc motorcycle, ride up to Thailand.

And buy one Honda Wave R for transport in Thailand Phuket itself.

How many of you guys will be joining the 3Nation Charity Ride in 2007?

• 2 months later...

I just found this thread. I've been buying a Honda 125 here in Isaan for over a year now (almost a year to go on the payments). I just don't like it much. I often rent beat up older Suzukis and Kawasakis in Pattaya and find I like those better. The Honda is just so much rougher and more vibrating.. plus its not very powerful. I also used to rent a Yamaha long term and it was great too. I think just about any bike would be better than a Honda.

It is really amazing what a pain it is to kickstart the Honda - it always seems to 'catch' at a point in the engine's rotation where it is very hard to budge it. Lastly the Honda is very 'cold natured', and I can barely get it to stay running if I start it up in the middle of the night at the bus station after I return from a few days escape to Pattaya.

I'm thinking of getting rid of it for a Kawasaki with electric start - only 32,000 here in 2007! I guess prices have come down a lot since earlier posts on this thread (2005).

Does anyone agree that Kawasakis, Suzukis, and Yamahas are much smoother than the Wave?