Best Post Office

tomahawk

What is the best post office in Chiang mai to deal with if sending mail to US? I never used PO in Chiang mai but I got so screwed up at one in Pattaya I never went to post office in Thailand again. However I have to file taxes now and need to send mail so I was wondering if main office is okay or if others are better. Thank you.

I use the post office on the river road just north of the Nawart Bridge and Tha Phae Rd. Its on the east side of Waroret Market goes threw the flower market. just make sure you use EMS. I have being doing this for years and have had no problem.

i have had trouble finding a car park during lunch hours 11am-2pm?? in the past at Mae Ping in the past, so ive avoided going there those hours, these days, i go to my local in Bo Sang, no need for a queue ticket, theres never more than 4 customers in there at a time :)

I use the post office on the river road just north of the Nawart Bridge and Tha Phae Rd. Its on the east side of Waroret Market goes threw the flower market. just make sure you use EMS. I have being doing this for years and have had no problem.

They are all fine.

I always send my taxes registered airmail. Never had a problem, and you have proof of mailing.

Regarding space to park etc, the new post office opposite JJ market near tesco's superhighway has loads of parking spaces. A good post office and they also have lots of PO boxes still left for rent as i know that's been mentioned a few times on this forum before.

Regarding space to park etc, the new post office opposite JJ market near tesco's superhighway has loads of parking spaces. A good post office and they also have lots of PO boxes still left for rent as i know that's been mentioned a few times on this forum before.

The only problem with that place is despite the big parking lot and large amount of space inside the building, there are only 2 customer counters. I went there twice last week and both times even though there were only 3 or 4 other customers there, I ended up waiting for 20-25 minutes each time while people ahead of me shipped many boxes. One window was manned by a trainee who was not so quick to catch on! He kept asking for help from the only other guy working there who was trying to man the other counter.

Thank you for more good suggestions. My problem is I usually travel with songtaew or ride bicycle, so I usually frequent business near sansai or around warowot market.

You could get off the songtaew at the Sansai Post Office. I go there to pick up packages sometimes when they leave a card in my box at home if I'm not there. There are many songtaews picking up and dropping off passengers right there.

Only ever used the one on Charoen Muang Road, between railway station and superhighway, near Sarasas School, on the right as you're heading away from town. Never had any issues with waiting, they have good English speaking staff and prices are all displayed clearly. Loads of parking space.

They're probably all the same though.

• 2 months later...

anyone ever have problems with the Kad suan Kaew branch office?

Ive sent 2 packages to the UK and 1 to Canada within a 6 day period via regular airmail, and none have arrived within the stated time frame.

Packages were not sent EMS but by regular airmail, one to canada was registered as well as another to the UK was registered, one other package was not registered.

The clerk told me registration was only available for package of 1 kilo or more, this didn't seem right...and when tracking was checked it stops outside of thailand.

The tracking for another registered letter-post with item inside big envelope, was registered with a tracking number but did not track at all.

Anyone have problems with the kad suan kaew branch? the female employees seem a little shady.

Ive sent 2 packages to the UK and 1 to Canada within a 6 day period via regular airmail, and none have arrived within the stated time frame.

Packages were not sent EMS but by regular airmail, one to canada was registered as well as another to the UK was registered, one other package was not registered.

The clerk told me registration was only available for package of 1 kilo or more, this didn't seem right...and when tracking was checked it stops outside of thailand.

The tracking for another registered letter-post with item inside big envelope, was registered with a tracking number but did not track at all.

Anyone have problems with the kad suan kaew branch? the female employees seem a little shady.

Another expat told me last week he'd been hoodwinked at the KSK branch. He said they don't affix the postage in your presence, convert airmail to ground service, and pocket the difference.

I don't know this to be a fact, but he assured me his problems with the mail stopped when he decided to drive a few more blocks to use the PO at CMU

My vote goes to the one on the right hand side of the road that leads from the south-west corner of the moat to Airport Central, opposite the 'orange sellers'....ample parking and efficient....sent a boxed item on a Monday afternoon, it arrived delivered in the UK on the Friday morning.....3.5 days!

It was sent by standard unregistered international small package!

But to be honest, this is the exception rather than the rule, it generally takes 7 days or so......all depends on how busy the aircraft from BKK to LHR are.

Prah Singh PO has always been fine - can mail motorcycles and other large stuff from there.

You're having us on, right? 

1. Where would you get an envelope big enough to fit a motorbike in?

2. How much licking would it take to seal an envelope that big, if you could find one?

3. What postman has got a bag big enough to fit it in?

Nice try, but you'll have to be a bit smarter than that to fool me . Considering how many other posts have been made since yours, you obviously fooled some. Well done.

It's a sub-station. You lose 1-2 days until the post is forwarded to a real post office. They can't handle some registered parcels there for some reason.

the truck comes severyday at 11am to receive items, it backs up right in front of the hotel. Ive at there for a week and smoked a cigarette on the benches after having brunch at the market inside.

Another expat told me last week he'd been hoodwinked at the KSK branch. He said they don't affix the postage in your presence, convert airmail to ground service, and pocket the difference.

I don't know this to be a fact, but he assured me his problems with the mail stopped when he decided to drive a few more blocks to use the PO at CMU

to add to this i believe BOTH the workers are in on it.

the taller worker told me registration was only available for EMS packages, which is not the case. You can request seperate registration for a fee. - since i just did it the week before. She seemed shaken when i told her tracking works with regular registration and no EMS.

update - package to Canada has arrived and tracking worked with regular airmail, thai tracking stops when its put into the plane, then starts tracking again once in canada, but doesnt get delivered to the door, customer had to pick up.

update - two packages to the UK have not arrived, first one sent on June 8 sent regualr airmail, no tracking purchsed. Todays June 27 and still hasn't arrived.

second package was a letter-parcel, meaning a big envelope which you can put items into, shipped Jun14 , registered, but was told couldn't be tracked because it was under 1 kilo, tracking never worked from the beginning.

Edited by KRS1

there's a massive post office next to stardome golf just off the moat - i think the smalle post offices send to there.

i send letters to uk - 24 baht and only takes 3 - 4 days in practice.

they provide many services.

look for a large 7-8 story building with large 3 letters on the front - can't remember the name.