So Your Significant Other Is Pack'n A Weapon

neverdie

^Sure, thats all im interested in discussing, illegal activities should not be discussed here.

It came up in another thread and so as not to hijack the thread, i created a new one.

Soutpeel stated that his wife carried a handgun, that she was licenced & fully trained.

I was wondering why they or she felt the need to carry a handgun, what the training course she completed involved and what ongoing training is involved. How long does her firearms licence last for and does that mean she can carry the firearm on her person at all times.

This thread wasn't made to flame people for their decisions, just for me to get a better understanding of what motivated people to carry firearms.

Finally, a few weeks ago whilst getting my haircut at my local barber (whom ive been visiting for a number of years) he dropped a fully loaded Ozzie pistol into my lap, he produced it from his drawer & yes he's licenced and carries it as a part of his formal employment. He knows my training and background and wanted me to check it out. :)

Civilians carrying guns for protection is a very slippery slope.

Well thats exactly my thoughts as well. As I said the other poster stated his wife was trained. Most people that have handled firearms in a professional capacity would actually realise how much you actually have to train with a particular weapon to be considered competent with it.

In the past I have read fairly frightening statistics about people having their own weapons used upon themself after being disarmed. Firearms retention is one of the most important aspects of firearms training.....in my humble opinion. Please understand we are not talking about weapons carried for sport such as target shooting etc.

Hel_l no. I'd be dead already if my wife had a gun. It's bad enough with knives, scissors, plates, televisions, refrigerators, and other assorted implements of destruction laying around. :)

In all seriousness, my wife carries a pocket knife in her purse if she is going to be out without me, especially at night. We have one in the truck as well. It makes her feel better so I don't mind. I'm not her daddy. I realize that she could be hurt worse if she had occasion to use it and attempted to do so, but that's her business. No guns in the house. Maybe if we move upcountry someday a bb or pellet gun, or maybe a 22, would be fun for shooting tin cans.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Soutpeel stated that his wife carried a handgun, that she was licenced & fully trained.

I was wondering why they or she felt the need to carry a handgun, what the training course she completed involved and what ongoing training is involved. How long does her firearms licence last for and does that mean she can carry the firearm on her person at all times.

Finally, a few weeks ago whilst getting my haircut at my local barber (whom ive been visiting for a number of years) he dropped a fully loaded Ozzie pistol into my lap, he produced it from his drawer & yes he's licenced and carries it as a part of his formal employment. He knows my training and background and wanted me to check it out. :D

The history behind Mrs Soutpeel's 0.38 goes back quite a few years. It was originally suggested to me and I said no way.

My motivation was that I had seen the damage done by firearms in untrained peoples hands, while living in one of the most dangerous cities in the world, and along with my car keys, wallet etc I also had a "Mr Glock" which went with me everywhere, which was used on occassion.

Moving to Thailand, never really felt the need to have a firearm in the house, but as my job requires me to be away from home for long periods of time, and Mrs Soutpeel is home alone, she said she never quite felt safe, even with the alarm, gates etc, in the end I relented and said she could buy a firearm on the proviso she was trained to use it, and like never teaching a wife to drive a car, I told her I would not teach her to use a firearm.

There is one Thailand's finest (BiB) who goes to our gym, and Mrs Soutpeel was talking to him about the process of getting a license and training and he offered to train her, which he did, I went with them once or twice to see how things where going and she was getting on quite swimmingly and these days she is quite proficient.

She has a gun safe in the bedroom and everytime I come home from work the 0.38 is locked up in the safe, but I suspect while I am away at work, the 0.38 sleeps next to her.

As regards licenses...I am not sure how long they last etc, I have stayed out of it

Locally I know of 2 or 3 Thai wives married to farangs who are packing...

As stated previously in an another post, the combination of a firearm, a woman, and PMS really worries me... :) ...I try to stay out of Mrs Soutpeel's way during that time of the month.... :D ....but that being said a Barber packing an "ozzie" would worry me as well....little bit of an over kill me thinks, dont tell him he has given you a bad haircut... :D

I was wondering why they or she felt the need to carry a handgun

Perhaps like others she felt it is easier for her husband to retrieve her from a police station after an incident than from a morgue?

Finally, a few weeks ago whilst getting my haircut at my local barber (whom ive been visiting for a number of years) he dropped a fully loaded Ozzie pistol into my lap, he produced it from his drawer & yes he's licenced and carries it as a part of his formal employment. He knows my training and background and wanted me to check it out. :D

The history behind Mrs Soutpeel's 0.38 goes back quite a few years. It was originally suggested to me and I said no way.

My motivation was that I had seen the damage done by firearms in untrained peoples hands, while living in one of the most dangerous cities in the world, and along with my car keys, wallet etc I also had a "Mr Glock" which went with me everywhere, which was used on occassion.

Moving to Thailand, never really felt the need to have a firearm in the house, but as my job requires me to be away from home for long periods of time, and Mrs Soutpeel is home alone, she said she never quite felt safe, even with the alarm, gates etc, in the end I relented and said she could buy a firearm on the proviso she was trained to use it, and like never teaching a wife to drive a car, I told her I would not teach her to use a firearm.

There is one Thailand's finest (BiB) who goes to our gym, and Mrs Soutpeel was talking to him about the process of getting a license and training and he offered to train her, which he did, I went with them once or twice to see how things where going and she was getting on quite swimmingly and these days she is quite proficient.

She has a gun safe in the bedroom and everytime I come home from work the 0.38 is locked up in the safe, but I suspect while I am away at work, the 0.38 sleeps next to her.

As regards licenses...I am not sure how long they last etc, I have stayed out of it

As stated previously in an another post, the combination of a firearm, a woman, and PMS really worries me... :) ...I try to stay out of Mrs Soutpeel's way during that time of the month.... :D ....but that being said a Barber packing an "ozzie" would worry me as well....little bit of an over kill me thinks, dont tell him he has given you a bad haircut... :D

Packing normally means a person is carrying it around with them. If she's got a license to posses the gun, and does not carry it off the property as a matter of course, she's probably legal. If she's carrying it around to the supermarket or shopping, with it in her purse, without a carry permit - a BIG problem I would think. Such is not legal even in the good old USA (gun heaven), in most states.

Packing normally means a person is carrying it around with them. If she's got a license to posses the gun, and does not carry it off the property as a matter of course, she's probably legal. If she's carrying it around to the supermarket or shopping, with it in her purse, without a carry permit - a BIG problem I would think. Such is not legal even in the good old USA (gun heaven), in most states.

If she has a license, she is legal..."not probably legal"....Whether the license allows her to carry a concealed weapon, off a property, as stated above, I do not know the T&C's of the license and have never asked...Has she carried the firearm in the car ?, Yes....Has she carried in her handbag at times...Yes, and would suggest the BiB who taught her explained what she could do and couldnt do per the terms of her license.

FYI...you are not in the "good old US" Toto...so a carry permit/US firearm regulations has no relevance to this discussion...disussion is about firearms in Thailand...

Incidently when I had my Glock, there was only 1 license, you had it, you could carry the firearm where ever you pleased as a concealed weapon.

If she has a license, she is legal..."not probably legal"....Whether the license allows her to carry a concealed weapon, off a property, as stated above, I do not know the T&C's of the license and have never asked...Has she carried the firearm in the car ?, Yes....Has she carried in her handbag at times...Yes, and would suggest the BiB who taught her explained what she could do and couldnt do per the terms of her license.

FYI...you are not in the "good old US" Toto...so a carry permit/US firearm regulations has no relevance to this discussion...disussion is about firearms in Thailand...

Incidently when I had my Glock, there was only 1 license, you had it, you could carry the firearm where ever you pleased as a concealed weapon.

Yes pal, I understand this discussion is about Thailand. I presume you are Thai and you are referring to your license in Thailand. If you are American and are talking about carrying your Glock around in your area back home, each state and jurisdiction has varying regulations concerning carry permits. Not every states carry permit allows you to carry it wherever you please. Some are quite restrictive and specify where you can carry it, such as New York. I am sure you know firearms restrictions are considerably more restrictive in Thailand. As I said before, I would be surprised if this lady has any kind of unrestricted carry permit. Oh yes, my name is not TOTO are you Dorthy?

Ummmm so he's a cop? So what? :)

Really, what is the point with this one? Care to tell us why you ask?

I always thought that US had a big problem with guns and people who are always referred as cowboys. Now after 3 years over here I think Thailand is worse. I see guns freely available. Even all toy guns look very realistic. Also any show TV I see they use guns and everyone is so cool and brutal using them merciless. It has become a fashionable think over here.

Yes pal, I understand this discussion is about Thailand. I presume you are Thai and you are referring to your license in Thailand. If you are American and are talking about carrying your Glock around in your area back home, each state and jurisdiction has varying regulations concerning carry permits. Not every states carry permit allows you to carry it wherever you please. Some are quite restrictive and specify where you can carry it, such as New York. I am sure you know firearms restrictions are considerably more restrictive in Thailand. As I said before, I would be surprised if this lady has any kind of unrestricted carry permit. Oh yes, my name is not TOTO are you Dorthy?

You presume a lot my friend, not even close, and again will state your comments about US firearm regulations have absolutely no relevance to firearm regulations in Thailand.

Incidently my Glock wasnt being carried in any of the states in the Land "O" the Free... :)

And "this lady" you refer to is actually my wife, and will state again, I do not know what is allowed once you have a Thai firearms license, and you appear to be making assumptions based on what is or isnt permissable in another country...

^Sure, thats all im interested in discussing, illegal activities should not be discussed here.

It came up in another thread and so as not to hijack the thread, i created a new one.

This thread wasn't made to flame people for their decisions, just for me to get a better understanding of what motivated people to carry firearms.

Finally, a few weeks ago whilst getting my haircut at my local barber (whom ive been visiting for a number of years) he dropped a fully loaded Ozzie pistol into my lap, he produced it from his drawer & yes he's licenced and carries it as a part of his formal employment. He knows my training and background and wanted me to check it out. :)

Perhaps if the female that was shot and killed by the cop (that recently assassinated a colleague his wife and child) was carrying a weapon when confronted by him over the alleged road rage incident that cost her life, not only might she have saved her own life but that of three others.

Good enough reason?

.but that being said a Barber packing an "ozzie" would worry me as well....little bit of an over kill me thinks, dont tell him he has given you a bad haircut... :D

No the barber has two jobs, the first one requires him to carry the firearm, the second involves sharp cutting instruments........on second thoughts, maybe it is time to change barber :D

the ozzie was terribly heavy, esp compared to glock. :)

Perhaps if the female that was shot and killed by the cop (that recently assassinated a colleague his wife and child) was carrying a weapon when confronted by him over the alleged road rage incident that cost her life, not only might she have saved her own life but that of three others.

Good enough reason?

lets not go there, the old perhaps......you could say perhaps if she did this perhaps if she did that. Not fair and not related to this in any way.

I will again repeat what I said before, a lot of training and practice needs to go in before someone is completely proficient with firearms. This training and practice needs to be many more times intense before one can use the firearm instinctively. People who have trained in various sections of the military and other armed forces know exactly what I am talking about.

Chances are, without that training, the production of a firearm in a volitile situation is likely to not only escalate the situation but do so without obtaining the desired results. The idea of so many people walking around with handguns after doing only either basic training or none at all scares the bejebus out of me.

Good enough reason?

No. Not when you think through the consequences of each and every one of us walking around armed, which is what your argument is advocating.

I will again repeat what I said before, a lot of training and practice needs to go in before someone is completely proficient with firearms. This training and practice needs to be many more times intense before one can use the firearm instinctively. People who have trained in various sections of the military and other armed forces know exactly what I am talking about.

Chances are, without that training, the production of a firearm in a volitile situation is likely to not only escalate the situation but do so without obtaining the desired results. The idea of so many people walking around with handguns after doing only either basic training or none at all scares the bejebus out of me.

Yeah, couldn't agree more.

And with regards the training, for someone to be skilled sufficiently to use a gun, not only does it need to be intense, but it needs to be ongoing, much as it is for those who use guns for a living.

Once you have a license, what is the requirement in terms of keeping your skills brushed up i wonder?

^Yip, thats exactly what I was wondering.....anyway more fool me, I shouldnt of bothered, you only need to look at licensing matters with motorvehicles to see nobody really gives a <deleted>.

I'd hate to see someone decent lose their life or their wives, not understanding exactly what they were into.