Thai Government, Protesters Edge Towards Talk

webfact

Apparently we are back to the Red shirts' "feelings" that the current legitimate government is not in fact legitimate, even though all sides seem to admit that they came into power by being voted in by the MP's.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thousands Gather at BTS Siam to Oppose Red-shirts

BANGKOK: -- Thousands of Bangkok residents gather at the Siam BTS station to oppose the red-shirt group and a House dissolution.

How many people is that? 1,501 ... 3,000 ... 10,000 ... 100,000 ... 999,000? Another million man anti-protest????

Confrontation on the streets only a blink away. Martial law throughout Bangkok coming soon?

Hopefully:

- There will really be thousands of them

- They will remain peaceful

- They will dtay where they gather

- It will weight during negotiation to be held soon

- The reds self confidence will deflate a bit, once they realize that they DO NOT represent more than a few % of the Thai population

well that's a point - many people, though, and reasonable people, are not enthusiastic about Thaksin but lean more red than yellow simply because they have seen years of coups and court cases and all sorts and do not feel they have elelcted this government - IF they are elected that sympathy will, more or less, disolve and become non-existant.

I strongly disagree. If they are elected they will feel empowered. They people will further idolize Thaksin as a strong man, a winner, and a martyr. The leaders will kow tow to his every wish. I see this as much more likely than some kind of fading Thaksin popularity.

Related topic

Bangkok Red-Shirt Rally - Live Updates - Sunday

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Red-...da-t351054.html

Follow the news of thaivisa about the march of red people of today sunday 28 traslated in Italian language.

Le notizie di oggi domenica 28 tradotte in Italiano da Thaivisa.

http://ariosforum.it/index.php?topic=1089....5;topicseen#new

Apparently we are back to the Red shirts' "feelings" that the current legitimate government is not in fact legitimate, even though all sides seem to admit that they came into power by being voted in by the MP's.

Nobody voted the government in... period

Wow such a strong statement and patently false. You know it. Why would you even speak such nonsense?

Roughly 39% of the people of Thailand who voted in the 2007 election voted Dems. About 39% of the people of Thailand voted for PPP. The rest voted for other parties. The present coalition holds over 50% of the majority of the house. All of these MPs were voted for by the people, directly in the constituency vote, and indirectly in the proportional vote. These are the facts.

Wow such a strong statement and patently false. You know it. Why would you even speak such nonsense?

Roughly 39% of the people of Thailand who voted in the 2007 election voted Dems. About 39% of the people of Thailand voted for PPP. The rest voted for other parties. The present coalition holds over 50% of the majority of the house. All of these MPs were voted for by the people, directly in the constituency vote, and indirectly in the proportional vote. These are the facts.

and the people voted Thaksin out? and Abhisit was the electors choice for PM? dont think so...

Hopefully:

- The reds self confidence will deflate a bit, once they realize that they DO NOT represent more than a few % of the Thai population

I hope the same as well.

Who knows, maybe they can gently take the reds by the hands and direct them back home. No violence.

Hopefully:

I hope the same as well.

Who knows, maybe they can gently take the reds by the hands and direct them back home. No violence.

''few %"? don't think so... test it... find out... it's called democracy - don't fall back on MP's defected and changed sides and voted Dems in so it's ok as an arguement - yes technically it's legal - but it's not moral

Hopefully:

I hope the same as well.

Agreed, and if it fails, then the responsibility of the violence will be on the red shirts .........Where did I hear or read something similar???

Hopefully:

I hope the same as well.

Agreed, and if it fails, then the responsibility of the violence will be on the red shirts .........Where did I hear or read something similar???

Bingo! :)

''few %"? don't think so... test it... find out... it's called democracy

What's democratic about a minority forcing a country to go the polls before a government has been allowed to serve its term? Nothing. How is it different from having a coup? It's not. Aren't the reds opposed to coups? Not if it allows them back in power.

Edited by rixalex

and the people voted Thaksin out? and Abhisit was the electors choice for PM? dont think so...

The people do not choose the PM. That is the fact. If you are going to compare party support in terms of percentage of the population the only way you can do that is with the proportional vote.

The people did not vote Thaksin out. He was an extra-constitutional caretaker PM. He had no legal right to hold that position at the time of the coup. The military removed him so that he could stand trial for his many crimes against Thailand and the Thai people.

''few %"? don't think so... test it... find out... it's called democracy - don't fall back on MP's defected and changed sides and voted Dems in so it's ok as an arguement - yes technically it's legal - but it's not moral

Ummmm yes it IS moral. The fact that more than 50% of the seats did NOT go to the reds means that whatever group CAN hold a 50%+ coalition together has the representatives of MOST of the voters in Thailand.

If you want Straight morality (majority) in voting then it would be one person one vote (and not MP seats) and the Dems would have led after the last elections anyways.

The reds are NOT PTP ... they aare the Reds. If they were PTP (like people cast the PAD as being the same as the Democrats) then this would be a different discussion altogether.

Again, shouldn't the red indoctrination camps (err Red schools) be teaching about parliamentary democracy; that is if they are actually interested in Democracy and not just getting hold of Thaksin's cash?

Hopefully:

I hope the same as well.

few %, and maybe less........

If you count those who are REALLY protesters in red shirt, and not those who are paid to be here and do not know anything about the reason why they are here, then your number will drop dramatically, even if considered as a representative panel of the population....

80,000 out of 65,000,000 (provided that they ALL are REAL protesters, don't even bring us close to 1%..........

The people do not choose the PM. That is the fact. If you are going to compare party support in terms of percentage of the population the only way you can do that is with the proportional vote.

The people did not vote Thaksin out. He was an extra-constitutional caretaker PM. He had no legal right to hold that position at the time of the coup. The military removed him so that he could stand trial for his many crimes against Thailand and the Thai people.

CMF knows all this, he has said time and again that it is how people "feel" that matters and not the reality of the situation that matters.

Hopefully:

I hope the same as well.

I haven't had much time to write but have at least been following the events of the last few days and I agree with the above sentiments.

Still it seems that the reds are wanting violence, and the government consistently caving to demands to withdraw troops and such do not make it look good. I can't help but feel that something has to give soon. To give in the the redshirts' demands is to sell out the rest of the country and that would lead to a disaster. I hope it all ends peacefully, but if it doesn't I think the onus falls with the reds. From my perspective every one of their major demands are unreasonable. It seems to me that the government's choices are limited and neither option good, but the government has the right to take whatever steps are necessary...

But I hope the last line above is prophetic.

Hopefully:

I hope the same as well.

I haven't had much time to write but have at least been following the events of the last few days and I agree with the above sentiments.

Still it seems that the reds are wanting violence, and the government consistently caving to demands to withdraw troops and such do not make it look good. I can't help but feel that something has to give soon. To give in the the redshirts' demands is to sell out the rest of the country and that would lead to a disaster. I hope it all ends peacefully, but if it doesn't I think the onus falls with the reds. From my perspective every one of their major demands are unreasonable. It seems to me that the government's choices are limited and neither option good, but the government has the right to take whatever steps are necessary...

But I hope the last line above is prophetic.

It is obvious that for the last few days, Reds have increased their pressure in order to provoke a reaction. They have tried everything by the book, and failed....so far. I am afraid that their requests won't be met by the government. I am afraid that Reds will then increase again their pressure to a point that government will have NO choice but send the troops to stop this crazy situation.....

Let's hope that the poor lads who have been paid to inflate the protesters number will realize soon that they'd better leave before they get hurt....while their so called leader is safely enjoying a peaceful life in Dubai....

CMF knows all this, he has said time and again that it is how people "feel" that matters and not the reality of the situation that matters.

Indeed but not "people", specifically "red people". These people's feelings are it seems more important than not only reality, but all the remaining population that is not "red".

My Thai wife 2 baht worth

If the government give in now, right or wrong

a precendance has been set

Mob Rule

A new election will not solve the problem

It will just start all over again, for what ever reason some new person comes up wih

the war cry will do

It worked for the red shirts so justice must be balance

And we (who ever or for what ever reason) should have the same rights

Now is time for the silent people of Thailand to stand up and say

Enough is Enough

If Taskin sees even a small hole in the wall

He will use measures you have not even though of to make it wide

'

So come on my fellow Thais

are you ready to open Pandora's Box

It is obvious that for the last few days, Reds have increased their pressure in order to provoke a reaction. They have tried everything by the book, and failed....so far. I am afraid that their requests won't be met by the government. I am afraid that Reds will then increase again their pressure to a point that government will have NO choice but send the troops to stop this crazy situation.....

Let's hope that the poor lads who have been paid to inflate the protesters number will realize soon that they'd better leave before they get hurt....while their so called leader is safely enjoying a peaceful life in Dubai....

Yes, if they give in to the demands thus far made by the redshirts, they will lose all credibility, and if they refuse the redshirts will likely push it to the point that the government has to respond... I too hope that if it comes to that the people who are not out for violence manage to get out....

My opinion is that Mr.A should finally take his time and apply some legal (and strong!) actions about those payed red idi_ots.

This fun lasts for so long now.

Enough.

Mr.A is a fully legitime PM. Those taksin's puppets are just paid for ther puppet's dance. WHAT is the reason for a new elections?? Any juridical base for??

Time to clean the streets out of those troublemarkers. Let'em come back to their common actions - farming rice, eat somtam...

Edited by alex_aka_P

I agree. Let Abhisit and the Democrats continue to rule. Speed up all corruption cases. Punish the PAD leaders who closed the airport. Redistribute Thaksin's seized assets among the nation. Problem solved.

What should all that lead to? Fresh elections as there will be nobody left to rule anyway.