Loud Explosion In Moon Muang

barlinnie

Did anyone hear a very loud explosion in Moon Muang Road last night, somewhere opposite Lai Thai Guest House. We were in Soi 2 and heard it, didn't sound like a car backfiring or fireworks. When we left in a tuk-tuk, we saw some emergency vehicles there,and our driver said it was a "boom" which we assumed to be "bomb"?

Indeed it was a bomb in a telephone booth outside Wat Sai Moon Muang. I was very lucky not to have been seriously injured as I was riding my bike around the corner towards it seconds before the explosion. It was incredibly loud, upon arrival there was glass and debris blown over the road and smoke everywhere that smelt similar to pyrotechnic powder. I did not notice any injuries. The CID turned up 20 mins later and blocked off the road. Not the situation one expects toddling off to the pub on a Sunday evening. I consider myself to have had a lucky escape and hope the idiots responsible are quickly apprehended.

I heard there was a small bomb in a telephone booth outside Mandalay Disco. I don't know how big it was, cannot find any news about it.

Yes, that would be the place - I couldn't think of the name of the disco! Just hope no-one was hurt..

The Chiang Mai Mail can confirm there was a bomb of some kind that went off at a telephone booth outside Wat Sai Moon Muang last night. A car parked nearby was damaged, there are no reports of injuries. Details to follow when I get them

Edited by ChiangMaiMail

Crazy!

I saw on the Thai news on Saturday or Sunday - I forget, something about a bomb being found in front of a Krung Thai or Krung Thep bank in Sansai. It was not detonated. They showed it and it looked liked a large grenade kind of thing with numbering on it. Any one else hear anything?

I think that it was two different incedents. The one near Mandalay Disco and also one in front of the administrative Court building. Saw it on Channel 7 news. The one outside the court did explode and left a small hole in the ground, police had yellow taped the entire front lawn and had collected some small fragments from the bomb.

loaded.

re .... Thai TV news showed the phone booths this morning - mainly shattered glass

and here they are !

the one on the right suffered the most damage to its roof area and glass was still scattered about this morning

more worrying to me is more tyres are still arriving at red shirt hq in chiang mai !

why ... when theyve just started talking in bangkok ?

doesnt make sence to me .... dave2

Just drove past there. There are two phone booths right next to each other. The explosion blew the glass ouf of one of them, but no major damage. Whatever it was it was pretty tiny by bomb standards, but major by fireworks standards to blow the glass out. Either way I wouldn't want to have been standing next to it when it went off. (Though for such a small and ineffective device, it may just have been a case of lighting a fuse and driving off)

Let's hope this isn't a sign of such vandalism taking root in Thailand. :)

loaded.

re .... Thai TV news showed the phone booths this morning - mainly shattered glass

and here they are !

the one on the right suffered the most damage to its roof area and glass was still scattered about this morning

more worrying to me is more tyres are still arriving at red shirt hq in chiang mai !

Dave, what are you doing? You put a picture of the UDD protest area next to the bombed/vandalized telephone booth. These are in no way related unless you know more than anyone else? If that's the case you should be at a police station providing information. If not then you're rumour mongering and adding spin for no good reason (possibly unintentionally, which is why I'm highlighting it.)

Seriously, the Reds more than anyone else want to find out who specifically is behind this (assuming it's not random vandalism which also remains very possible) because it would be very damaging to their cause. ( Regardless of it being agent provocateurs or someone or some group in their own ranks. ) Nobody needs this, and to suggest otherwise is wrong. The protests have been going exceptionally well; they have been peaceful and in good spirits, they've had far more support from the people in Bangkok than anticipated, (international) press coverage was favorable by and large, AND they're even negotiating with Absisit.. In their wildest dreams it couldn't have gone better so they SERIOUSLY don't need such disruption or distraction.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

loaded.

and here they are !

Dave, what are you doing? You put a picture of the UDD protest area next to the bombed/vandalized telephone booth. These are in no way related unless you know more than anyone else? If that's the case you should be at a police station providing information. If not then you're rumour mongering and adding spin for no good reason (possibly unintentionally, which is why I'm highlighting it.)

Seriously, the Reds more than anyone else want to find out who specifically is behind this (assuming it's not random vandalism which also remains very possible) because it would be very damaging to their cause. ( Regardless of it being agent provocateurs or someone or some group in their own ranks. ) Nobody needs this, and to suggest otherwise is wrong. The protests have been going exceptionally well; they have been peaceful and in good spirits, they've had far more support from the people in Bangkok than anticipated, (international) press coverage was favorable by and large, AND they're even negotiating with Absisit.. In their wildest dreams it couldn't have gone better so they SERIOUSLY don't need such disruption or distraction.

Grenades around various banks, especialy bangkok bank, has been linked to red shirts in bangkok one could draw same conclusion that they could possably b responsible for simmilar attacks in chiang mai, not a huge stretch of the imajination; of course many will cry aawwww its the army trying to make them look bad, but who's looking at chiangmai right now anyway? i'd say its probably those nutters in rak chiang mai 51. only the phone bang might be to do with some bussiness dispute, but the other attacks are definately politically rellevent.

Grenades around various banks, especialy bangkok bank, has been linked to red shirts in bangkok

By who exactly? And for argument's sake, if there's a couple nut jobs out loose then are all people who wear red guilty? I think the focus should be on brining the culprits to justice, not some witch hunt against a particular groups of people or political idiology.

only the phone bang might be to do with some business dispute

Even for a business dispute it doesn't make much sense. Unless it's a dispute with TOT. Random vandalism isn't really common in Thailand either though, so who knows..

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

wtk.

no offence but re ....my comment ... more worrying to me is more tyres are still arriving at red shirt hq in chiang mai.

is a statement of what i saw at red shirts hq yesterday .... nothing more and nothing less !

and im not trying to stir anyone up

how you read so much into a picture and my personal opinion i dont know but if the mods are unhappy with any of them they are welcome to delete them and my comments .... no froblem

regards ... dave2

wtk.

no offence but re ....my comment ... more worrying to me is more tyres are still arriving at red shirt hq in chiang mai. is a statement of what i saw at red shirts hq yesterday .... nothing more and nothing less !

Thanks!

(And as a separate issue I would agree that it would be very nice if the municipal waste collection department would clear those out.)

Yep big explosion last night

We were at Blue Sky Bar about 60 metres away sitting outside and it went off we felt the shock and someone said it was a firework I said no way that was a Bomb next minute cops arrived.

Sobering thought to be so close to an explosion like that

ferang cravings ..

re .... We were at Blue Sky Bar about 60 metres away sitting outside

you can put up with the volume of the music at blue sky bar ?

nahhhh .... i left there two years ago because of it and i wont go back !

i like having a drink and watching people playing pool but the music there is usually way toooooo LOUD to relax in

hence....... i go somewere else now ... usually the half moon on soi 2 coz they play good music at a reasionable volume : )

dave2

I debated whether I should bother sending this posting, as this is just rumor as far as I am concerned, but my conscience says i should pass it on anyway. My wife goes to school with woman related to high ranking army officer stationed near Chiang Mai. She telephoned wife and says this army officer told her army has intelligence there will be bombings and stay away from areas where there are large groups of people. I do not know who the source is, I did not hear this myself and cannot verify the accuracy of this information, and I have not changed my own routine as a result of this information. However, I am passing it on because if there was some incident and people got hurt I would feel very badly for not saying anything to forum.

I debated whether I should bother sending this posting, as this is just rumor as far as I am concerned, but my conscience says i should pass it on anyway. My wife goes to school with woman related to high ranking army officer stationed near Chiang Mai. She telephoned wife and says this army officer told her army has intelligence there will be bombings and stay away from areas where there are large groups of people. I do not know who the source is, I did not hear this myself and cannot verify the accuracy of this information, and I have not changed my own routine as a result of this information. However, I am passing it on because if there was some incident and people got hurt I would feel very badly for not saying anything to forum.

The whole thing is typically Thai... Husband makes up something to 'protect his wife', she passes it on to everyone, including your wife, who then paases it on to you, who tells the world to be careful, and then offers a lame excuse for saying something...

It's never bad to be careful and vigilant.. In fact his advice is no different from what most embassies put out to their citizens.

(Of course, then his Mrs, after being told to be careful and vigilant, gets on her Honda Dream sans helmet. :) To keep things in perspective.. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

LBJ, for 25 years this kind of thing was my job description. The fact is the thing to do is pass along the information as public service and explain it is unverified source. This is not exactly the same thing as your own lame transmission which is apparently just a compulsion to complain. I believe it is more valuable to transmit information of potential importance than to entertain oneself with all their negative observations of what everyone else says or does. If one does not believe the information, that is up tp them. The fact is I do not neccesarily believe it either. Although there were 4 incidences lately in CM involving explosives, albeit very amateurish attempts. This lends some credibility to the possibility there may be others. As I said, this information has not affected my life one bit, nor should it anyone else's. However, people on forum are intelligent enough to evaluate the information and make their own decision. (Most of them anyway.)

And also it is somewhat bigoted to say this rumor business is a Thai thing. The same exact thing happens all the time in the west.