Laos Trip: Will The Mekong Still Be There Late May?

Robroy

I'm planning a trip down the Mekong thru Laos in late May with my 2 grown, Australian daughters - Luang Prabang, Vientiane, Savannakhet.

However even when I was there in December the Mekong was drying up - low levels, huge sandbanks.

Can anyone take an educated guess as to whether it will still be navigable in late May?

(I don't expect entirely honest answers if I emailed tourism people.)

Question 2: My daughters'd be wiser to buy their Laos tickets on the way through in Bangkok, rather than Australia - cheaper, right?

Thanks!

March 1st, it looked like the Egyptian desert on a good day.

You could nearly walk across to NK.

There is a massive hydro scheme being implemented opposite the main riverside area too.

The Chinese reckon the lack of water in the Mekong, is not their fault...... <deleted>! :D

edit;

"Laos tickets" do you mean visas or travel vouchers?

If you mean Laos visas, buy them at the Bridge in USD @$31.00 each.

Try to have the correct amount. If you tender a 50 or 100 check your change before leaving the cashier's window. :)

Edited by GungaDin

I was in Phnom Penh yesterday and saw plenty of water where it meets the Tonle Sap. I don't know what it's like further up though, I did read shipping had only been suspended for a few days, that was wa up north I think, I can't remember the source for this though.

Thanks - but where was that? Luang P, Vientiane, Savannakhet...?

By tickets I mean air tickets. I assume these will be cheaper to buy in BKK on the way through than in Australia (where they are coming from).

Buy the visas at the bridge - which city are we talking about?

However it is likely we will fly in. And I don't think you can buy a visa at the airport, a la Cambodia, right?

Thanks for your help.

There is a massive hydro scheme being implemented opposite the main riverside area too.

The Chinese reckon the lack of water in the Mekong, is not their fault...... <deleted>! :D

edit;

Try to have the correct amount. If you tender a 50 or 100 check your change before leaving the cashier's window. :)

No problem with Visa on Arrival at LPQ.

How are you planning on going down river from Vientiane? There is no scheduled passenger service on this part of the river.

Slow boats stopped running for several days in February and March after two slow boats from Houi Xai to LP had serious problems because of the low river level. At least one sank. Service on that route has resumed although the 2 day trip sometimes takes 3 now, with an uncomfortable night either on the boat or the banks of the river.

No way to know what the river level will be like or the availability of boats south of LP, but I'm sure the slow boats will be running, whether safe or not, on the northern part.

How are you planning on going down river from Vientiane? There is no scheduled passenger service on this part of the river.

Slow boats stopped running for several days in February and March after two slow boats from Houi Xai to LP had serious problems because of the low river level. At least one sank. Service on that route has resumed although the 2 day trip sometimes takes 3 now, with an uncomfortable night either on the boat or the banks of the river.

No way to know what the river level will be like or the availability of boats south of LP, but I'm sure the slow boats will be running, whether safe or not, on the northern part.

Boats sank in low water levels?

Don't they usually sink in high water and run aground in low water?

Boats sank in low water levels?

Don't they usually sink in high water and run aground in low water?

Lower water levels create higher flow rate, flow Patton’s unpredictable currents and exspose big boulders, above and leave hidden ones just below the surface. The Mekonk is a very dangerous river when the water level is low.

Thanks - but where was that? Luang P, Vientiane, Savannakhet...?

By tickets I mean air tickets. I assume these will be cheaper to buy in BKK on the way through than in Australia (where they are coming from).

Buy the visas at the bridge - which city are we talking about?

However it is likely we will fly in. And I don't think you can buy a visa at the airport, a la Cambodia, right?

Thanks for your help.

edit;

You can get a Visa on arrival at most major border crossings into Laos (except for the one crossing from Cambodia) and at the Vietiane airport on arrival. US$30 for an OZ passport holder with a photo.

The bridge he referred to was 'The Friendship bridge' which was Australia funded, west of Nong Khai.

Flying from BKK to Vietiane is relatively expensive compared to other regional routes. A cheaper option is to fly to Udon and catch a mini van from the airport to the bridge or in Udon catch one of the two daily train services which now cross the border. You then need to taxi the last 10 kms into Vietiane. You can also bus from Udon to Nong Khai and use an international bus service to vietiane

In terms of your trip there are two general options. Starting at Vietiane and taking a long 10-12 hr bus ride to Luang Prabang and then downriver back to Vietiane and the long, long trip to Savan. All private boat hire and it will take a while (from LP to Viet is 2 days).

OR fly from BKK to Chiang Rai and travel the 50 kms to the Chiang Khong/Huay Xai border crossing, get your Laos visa and then hire a boat to LP for 600-1500 baht (depending how fast you want to go). Most guesthouses and a couple of travel agents in Chiang Kong can book a boat beforehand if you dont want the hassle or haggling on the Laos side (which is part of the fun). Cross in the morning and you'll be in LP by late afternoon.

The 3 of you can probably fly cheaper BKK to Chiang Rai than BKK to Vietiane.

The 2nd option means you avoid returning to Vietiane and you avoid a long bus ride.

The Chinese reckon the lack of water in the Mekong, is not their fault...... <deleted>! :)

How the extreme droughts, causing the lack of water in the Mekong, can be blamed to China is beyond me; maybe you didn't read the news in the past few weeks and months about the most extreme droughts since many decades but here's the opinion of the CEO of the Mekong River Commission, Mr. Jeremy Bird:

Low river levels caused by extreme low rainfall

http://www.mrcmekong.org/MRC_news/press10/Op-Ed-13-3-10.htm

If people realize that there hasn't been a single drop of rain -and snow in the upper glaciers in the Qinghai-Tibetan plateau- in many parts of the region for 6 months and longer (!), it's no wonder the Mekong levels are so low.

Personally, I believe that it will become even worse up till May but I really hope I'm wrong :D

post-13995-1269908156_thumb.jpg Severe droughts hit regions in China

Let's hope the First MRC Mekong River Summit from2-5 April 2010, Hua Hin, Thailand will bring some ideas and progress how to deal with the Mekong and it's future.

http://www.mrcsummit2010.org/

LaoPo

^^^^ Good post, but it's $30 + $1 tea money. :)

Carry extra PP photos with you.

Well from my experience and understanding the extra $1 tea money payment is imposed if you don't have a photo or if it is after 4pm ('stay awake fee') at one of the border crossings. Correct?

From recollection I have only had to pay the extra $1 once in some 6 crossings into Laos over the years.

And <deleted> to you , LeoPoo. :)

The most argumentative plick on this forum.

I'm afraid I miss the point of your comment GungaDin. Is it to be seen as defamatory towards my explanation and explaining links ?

I think the low levels of the Mekong is a serious matter and I'm only trying to comment to your <deleted>' comment that China is to be blamed.

That's <deleted> my friend since you didn't study the backgrounds of the present serious droughts' situation.

Next to that, the inflow of the waters in the Mekong, once it enters Thailand, is minor to it's total, supplied by both Thailand and Laos before it enters Cambodia en Vietnam.

Think before you write nonsense and spelling my name wrong on purpose is degrading yourself, not me. :D

LaoPo

Do you want to argue over a dollar, <deleted>?

Jeeeezus, some people........ :)

Au contraire Khun Gunga, does it sound like an arguement? That is a strange interpretation.

The response is clearly a clarification intended to assist the OP who clearly is seeking advice and information on a ranges of matters.

Now, do you have nothing to offer for the OP but a misplaced, snide remark?

Do you want to argue over a dollar, <deleted>?

Jeeeezus, some people........ :D

Au contraire Khun Gunga, does it sound like an arguement? That is a strange interpretation.

The response is clearly a clarification intended to assist the OP who clearly is seeking advice and information on a ranges of matters.

Now, do you have nothing to offer for the OP but a misplaced, snide remark?

Good comment!

Fellow member GungaDin seems to be in an attacking mood today.... :)

LaoPo

• 3 weeks later...
We've had a bit of rain since I took those jubby so possibly they had it up stream as well.

It sort of all came at once, rain or openning of dams , who knows .

I just observed some kids playing in the sand on a little rock outcrop last month which was perhaps 2 metres high. Its now almost submerged. The rock was very close to the navigable channel for want of a better word.

Two meters seems like a lot of water in the Mekong. I might have a run down there next week to show him the river and take a few more pics.

It still looks very low, my usual observation point is a place where there's a narrow navigation channel on the Thai side of the river. The Lao speadboats actually stop there which Is probably unique. I'm told its a Lao village historically .

Anyway, let me know when your going up there , I tend to spend half my time thereabouts.

be nice to have a chat.