Newbie Visa Question: Working Part-time

I need some advice about which type of visa to apply for. :D

I'm a US citizen, over 50, and I'm still located in the US. I'll be going to Thailand in May. I have a one-way ticket to Thailand at present. I can show that I have enough funds. Here is my plan and my hope:

1) I will study for a month (TEFL/TESOL/ CELTA). (I have an acceptance letter from a school.)

2) I will then relax and travel in Thailand for a few weeks.

3) I will land a part-time job (teaching English), and will work for a few months to get some experience and learn the ropes.

4) In October 2010 I will get a full-time job.

5) I will teach for a year or so until I'm ready to retire, and then I'll apply for a retirement visa.

Should I be applying for a multiple-entry Tourist Visa with a 6-month validity? How good are my chances of getting it? Which consulate in the US is it best to apply to? Will I be okay applying for a visa with a one-way ticket, or do I need to buy a return ticket to the US, and for what date? Would it be to my benefit instead to buy a plane ticket to Vientienne or another location outside of Thailand, to show that I have an exit plan? What are they really looking for when they ask to see a return ticket?

Will I be able to work part-time in Thailand with a Tourist Visa, assuming that a school will give me a work permit? (I don't think a school will want to help me get a Non-Immigrant B visa if I only want to teach there part-time -- but I'm not sure how this works.)

Is there any way I could apply now for a Non-Immigrant visa before I leave, under these circumstances, and hope to get it?

Any help will be much appreciated! :)

Will I be able to work part-time in Thailand with a Tourist Visa, assuming that a school will give me a work permit? (I don't think a school will want to help me get a Non-Immigrant B visa if I only want to teach there part-time -- but I'm not sure how this works.)

I know nothing of the legality aspect of your question. I just want to point out that it may be difficult to find a part time English-teaching job from only about July-September. That will be in the middle of the semester, so it's not an ideal time to be job hunting. You might want to have a plan B or some backup cash just in case. Have you checked out the Teaching Forum on this website? You should be able to get a lot of helpful information there. Good luck!

You can not work on a tourist visa at all - a work permit is never issued on that type of entry. If you plan to work you will need a non immigrant B visa which you can easily obtain from a nearby Consulate after getting the paperwork.

You can travel on a one-way ticket but it will be up to the specific Consulate rules (and your passport country) as to if you require a ticket prior to issue of a visa. Most say you do but often this is only for third country nationals.

You may be able to get an Non-immigrant E visa. Not sure all of the requirements for this though. But you do have a letter of acceptance from a school so that may be enough.

As for working, you can not legally work without a work permit.

If you plan to work you will need a non immigrant B visa which you can easily obtain from a nearby Consulate after getting the paperwork.

I'm sorry, could you please clarify what you mean by "paperwork?" I'm assuming you mean that I'd need to have a written job offer in order to get a non-immigrant B visa. Is that correct?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge. Is there even the remotest chance that if I told the Thai consulate that I've been accepted into a month-long TEFL course and that I plan to seek employment after that, that I might stand a chance of getting a non-immigrant B visa in that way?

Otherwise, I know there are some educational programs that qualify for the non-immigrant "B" visa. However, I don't think I could pick up part-time employment under that visa, could I?

If a job offer will be enough to get a non-B depends on the consulate where you will be applying. In Asia itself, it is not enough! There you will need to show you have applied for a work permit in Thailand itself.

You can come on a tourist visa or ED-visa with the etter from the school. After that you can find a job and when you have one apply for the work permit. The labour office will give you a WP3 form, which you will need, together with your contract and leter from the school asking for a non-B visa to get a non-B visa from a neighbouring country.

Only a work permit allows you to work. On a Non-B you can get a work permit, on a ED-vsa you cannot. But you can apply for the WP on it and with the WP3 you will than get apply for the non-B in a neighbouring country.a Ed-visa or tourist visa