Horrific Scenes.

wildpikey

I've been there with a friend and his Thai wife, once with a female Thai language teacher, a few times with girlfriends.

None were insulted or offended.

I don't like the place, but I see why others do.

I go to Number 1 bar a few times a month and always with my wife, ive never had any problems in there and along with TRL and a few other places I think its a good bar to go and have a drink and a bit of food. During songkran last year they made children and parents feel very welcome and I will be going there with my wife and daughter this songkran.

Right, if anything it's too prespectable.

(Combination of too respectable and predictable. :) You just know nothing out of the ordinary is ever going to happen, it's too well managed. Looking at the average age of their clientele, they probably appreciate it that way. However, this also makes it one of the more suitable 'bar' places to take the Mrs.

Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead, but I was at #1 recently talking in general about the upcoming Songkran festivities, and the lady who runs the place tells me "Don't bother showing up unless you bring your kid too!". :D

So I think that addresses the question on if kids are welcome at #1. :)

I think the OP's topic was about children running around a bar unsupervised and annoying other customers. That happens in many Chiang Mai restaurants as well. And it happens everywhere throughout the world, but it's hardly a horrific event. However, the question of saftey of the children IS an issue because Number 1 bar is on both sides of a narrow Soi where some idiot patrons insist on driving their vehicle through at night. Park your frigging car outside the area and WALK a few hundred meters!

That said, I've been to the Number 1 bar many times and I haven't been hassled once by the WAITRESSES. Calling them all prostitutes is WAY out of line. The ONLY person who I'll accept that point of view is someone who was a virgin at the time of their marriage. Otherwise they are just a hypocrite. What some people do in their PRIVATE lives is entirely up to them. No difference between some gal charging for sex up front and the little honey who wants sex, but insists the guy take her to supper a few times before they do the dirty act. There is no difference between the so called "Thai prostitute" and some guy trying to seduce a woman he has no intentions of marrying.

And, just as another plug for the Number 1 bar is its two pool tables are better than any others I've tried in the bars along Loi Kroh road.

I think the OP's topic was about children running around a bar unsupervised and annoying other customers. That happens in many Chiang Mai restaurants as well. And it happens everywhere throughout the world, but it's hardly a horrific event. However, the question of saftey of the children IS an issue because Number 1 bar is on both sides of a narrow Soi where some idiot patrons insist on driving their vehicle through at night. Park your frigging car outside the area and WALK a few hundred meters!

That said, I've been to the Number 1 bar many times and I haven't been hassled once by the WAITRESSES. Calling them all prostitutes is WAY out of line. The ONLY person who I'll accept that point of view is someone who was a virgin at the time of their marriage. Otherwise they are just a hypocrite. What some people do in their PRIVATE lives is entirely up to them. No difference between some gal charging for sex up front and the little honey who wants sex, but insists the guy take her to supper a few times before they do the dirty act. There is no difference between the so called "Thai prostitute" and some guy trying to seduce a woman he has no intentions of marrying.

And, just as another plug for the Number 1 bar is its two pool tables are better than any others I've tried in the bars along Loi Kroh road.

I drive down that Soi and am rarely a patron of No 1 Bar. It is a public road and also a usefull 'rat run'.

I drive down that Soi and am rarely a patron of No 1 Bar. It is a public road and also a usefull 'rat run'.

Yup, there a LOTS of narrow sois that are considered "public roads", but they were designed for bicycles and scooters. Then, people CHOOSE to park on them and virtually block all passage. Or, they choose to drive through them during times of maximum traffic.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of guest cottages on those narrow sois, and where there is no room for parking. Even a scooter takes up too much room. But, Thais don't care WHO they block or inconvenience.

However, the question of saftey of the children IS an issue because Number 1 bar is on both sides of a narrow Soi where some idiot patrons insist on driving their vehicle through at night. Park your frigging car outside the area and WALK a few hundred meters!

Well, to get to the designated #1 parking you need to enter that soi. I will say however that there is a right way and a wrong way to drive through that soi, and the only right way involves taking it super-slow (slower than walking pace) and turning off the main head lights at night to not blind the people sitting close to the soi. When doing it the right way there's not much difference between car or motorbike; some idiots (Thai and foreign alike) drive motorbikes way too fast through that soi as well.

That said, I've been to the Number 1 bar many times and I haven't been hassled once by the WAITRESSES. Calling them all prostitutes is WAY out of line.

I've discussed that very topic with the staff at #1 and after statistical analysis the consensus was that about one third are prostitutes, one third takes things as they come and only go with guys they're attracted to, and the remaining third is not interested in any after hours shenanigans and are there to serve drinks and food.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I guess my defintion of "horiffic" and yours sure different...

a bad plane or train crash, a mass grave, a concentration camp, the effects of an earthquake or mudslide, a massive or chemical fire, etc...

CB

And it could of been just that had the kid ran across the little road and one of the speeding scooters that speed down that soi slam into the kid would that be your definition of Horrific.

Yeah, I agree that qualifies as horrific.

In general when it comes to safety Thailand has severe issues, and far too many foreigners seem to be happy to go native in this sense too. This is just about the only area where I'm absolutely NOT going native. Someone smack me if I ever spend more money on useless 'bling' for a vehicle than I do on safery, including top of the line child safety seats, etc.

If somebody built a pub around a public road in the UK and invited couples to bring their children to that pub, people would probably think the owner of the pub should be locked up. If you do the same in Thailand, people will attack the road users :)

Edited by Loaded

Meh, if you do the same in Thailand, people will just whine about it on an online forum. :)

Ironically, the whole point of visiting #1 for Songkran is that it's MORE safe compared to being on any other road in town, especially the moat. :D (Smaller soi = safer) Cleaner water too.

EDIT: The safety concerns arise from people not realizing that it's actually a public road. But when you're aware of that, it's one of the safer public roads to be on.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

No difference between some gal charging for sex up front and the little honey who wants sex, but insists the guy take her to supper a few times before they do the dirty act. There is no difference between the so called "Thai prostitute" and some guy trying to seduce a woman he has no intentions of marrying.

I am not sure about that last sentence but nevertheless, it's one of the most interesting things I've read on this forum. Nominated for post of the year by me :) in any case, bar girls are definitely not prostitutes.

I was at Number 1 once during the day, it's a fine bar. Oh and the hostesses are most definitely not pushy, all I got was some inviting smiles and nothing more. Even if they were, it's not so hard to politely decline buying drinks now is it.

BTW I think children are pretty safe in Thailand. People here will take care of kids that are not their own if they see they need help, much more so than in the west where everyone just minds their own business. That said letting a 2 year old run on the street - any street - is crazy, the mind boggles.

Okkkkk.

I have seen my topic come up and also read the reply's and it seems extremely strange how some people just cant get what I'm saying, so let me clarify.

1st. As I stated, there was never a "dig" at the bar intended, the bar is well run, the girls are attentive, but never pushy and it is generally a nice place to be.

2nd. They allow kids, in fact they like kids there and the girls always fuss over the younger ones.

3rd. I was not saying that kids running around was stopping me enjoying myself.

I was simply stating that: "There was 1 very young child who unsupervised by his parents was wondering out into the soi between the two bars, When i saw it my heart was literally "jumping".

The kid was about two "ish" i suppose.

I have seen the way some people drive down that Soi, (usually "Farang" with big motorbikes thinking it looks cool to rev away quick)

I was imagining the kid getting splatted all over the road.

So this was what I claimed to be "Horrific", anyone who disagrees with that is obviously devoid of any human emotions. (like the parents of the child in question)

Now, does that clarify the topic? or does someone want to ask "where is the best fish and chips in chiang mai" question?

Dimlow's.

Okkkkk.

I have seen my topic come up and also read the reply's and it seems extremely strange how some people just cant get what I'm saying, so let me clarify.

1st. As I stated, there was never a "dig" at the bar intended, the bar is well run, the girls are attentive, but never pushy and it is generally a nice place to be.

2nd. They allow kids, in fact they like kids there and the girls always fuss over the younger ones.

3rd. I was not saying that kids running around was stopping me enjoying myself.

I was simply stating that: "There was 1 very young child who unsupervised by his parents was wondering out into the soi between the two bars, When i saw it my heart was literally "jumping".

The kid was about two "ish" i suppose.

I have seen the way some people drive down that Soi, (usually "Farang" with big motorbikes thinking it looks cool to rev away quick)

I was imagining the kid getting splatted all over the road.

So this was what I claimed to be "Horrific", anyone who disagrees with that is obviously devoid of any human emotions. (like the parents of the child in question)

Now, does that clarify the topic? or does someone want to ask "where is the best fish and chips in chiang mai" question?

Dimlow's.

Where is the best fish and chip shop by the way

• 3 months later...

I feel quite offended by all the posters who are blaming the parents in the situation described. I am a mother of a 2 year old and although I don't take him to bars, I go to Thai style restaurants almost daily, this means I am familiar with the situation where my child has unblocked access to road in front.

Did you consider the possibility that the girls in the bar were helping the parents to care for their child out of their own free will? Something we don't see anymore in the West but this simple kindness towards other peoples children is very very common here. Every time I am out with my toddler, staff at restaurants run after him and interact with him (holding him for me when he was a small baby) and also help to stop him from running onto the road. They do this out of courtesy seeing that I am their guest and allowing me to sit down, rest, eat or drink. I often just sit there and watch and they play with my child, make sure he doesn't hurt himself or run on the road. I am not a lazy or bad mother in this situation, I simply know that the Thai women offered to look after my child for some time. When I see that they are busy I take over. It is one thing I love about Thailand, that people are not bothered by young children, they accept them and love them as part of life.

So I don't find it appropriate at all to blame these parents for not having a 'grip' on their child. If one could blame them for anything then it would be for taking the child to a bar, but that would depend on many things as well (time of the day, how busy the bar, how loud the music, what's going on there at the time).

Edited by g00dgirl

Righty. You're right to be concerned. What I would have done in this situation is get up, and usher the little one back inside. Same as every Thai person would do. As a father, that's what I'd like other people to do if they see my kid there, so that's what I'd do. No big deal to get up is it now? Besides it will endear you to the ladies at said bar too ;)

The thing is, don't think somebody else is surely responsible - not in that situation. Maybe somebody is, maybe someone is watching, but then again, maybe not, so don't take a chance. Especially when your heart is jumping.

Sorry not gonna re-read this old thread entirely, maybe this is what you have done anyway. Just wanted to point out that this is what one should do.

Edited by nikster