Serious Crackdown On Loud Motorbikes

george

Loud motorbikes to get the kick

BANGKOK: -- Loud motorcycles in Bangkok will see a serious crackdown from the government, starting from next month.

From 1 June onwards, the Department of Pollution Control and the Metropolitan Police will set up 31 checkpoints across the capital to watch out for offending motorcycles.

According to Mr. Suphat Wangwongwattana, the department's deputy director-general, an initial pilot project suggests that around 14 percent of all motorbikes in the capital breach the 95 decibel limit.

There are thought to be a staggering 2.5 million motorcycles on the streets of the capital, with noise pollution a particular problem in inner city areas, such as Yaowarat or the Chinatown area.

Offending motorcyclists will be slapped with fines of Bt500 under the 1992 Land Traffic Act, and will be banned from using their bikes for 30 days under the 1992 National Environment Act.

Bikers who fail to solve the problem within the 30 days will be banned from using their cycles until they have demonstrated that their bikes meet the noise regulations.

As an incentive to motorcyclists to ensure that their machines meet the regulations, bike shops are being asked to offer special deals on the relevant spare parts for the next three months.

--TNA 2005-05-27

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s those bloody noisy penis extension exhausts that they put on their bikes, which cause such a headache. Can’t afford a proper bike? No problem, just make the cheap scooter as noisy as possible. They are actually becoming a problem here in London too, with kids riding around on their scooters with the Thai style ‘buzz’ exhaust pipes.

Does this apply to alll bikes though?

It should just be for the stupid boys who soup their bikes up but i do hope the police are'nt going to try and fine Harley's etc.

so don't Harley owners soup their bikes up then?...besides Harleys make a right racket anyway...

It should just be for the stupid boys who soup their bikes up but i do hope the police are'nt going to try and fine Harley's etc.

so don't Harley owners soup their bikes up then?...besides Harleys make a right racket anyway...

What i'm saying is- Harley's even with standard exhausts are naturally loud so its unfair for them to be fined :o

Thank God, something needs to be done to reduce unnecessary noise and that's a good place to start.

But "crackdown" usually means the flavor-of-the-month. Then they quit doing it.

BANGKOK: -- Loud motorcycles in Bangkok will see a serious crackdown from the government, starting from next month.

Will this apply to tuk-tuks too?

Sometimes it's difficult to hear yourself think, let alone hold a conversation, when those stupid things go past.

SWW

What i'm saying is- Harley's even with standard exhausts are naturally loud so its unfair for them to be fined :o

The law is the law, if it breaks 95 its noisy and should be fined and made to be quiet!

I would rather lisen to a loud two stroke bike over a loud harley... i think the harley should be the first on the list of to-be-fined bikes.

Not that i think we will be seeing any major changes because of this latest notion they have had.

This is why I love living in Isaan you dont have to put up with wining falang bull shit. Both my bikes are loud and no one complains. The head copper even told me I could ride my CR 250 any where I wanted dirt and road just slow it down when in the villige. What can I say bangkok sux. :o

It’s those bloody noisy penis extension exhausts that they put on their bikes, which cause such a headache. Can’t afford a proper bike? No problem, just make the cheap scooter as noisy as possible. They are actually becoming a problem here in London too, with kids riding around on their scooters with the Thai style ‘buzz’ exhaust pipes.

Yes you must be an advanced member!

This is why I love living in Isaan you dont have to put up with wining falang bull shit. Both my bikes are loud and no one complains. The head copper even told me I could ride my CR 250 any where I wanted dirt and road just slow it down when in the villige. What can I say bangkok sux.  :o

How about megaphones do they allow these :D

This is why I love living in Isaan you dont have to put up with wining falang bull shit. Both my bikes are loud and no one complains. The head copper even told me I could ride my CR 250 any where I wanted dirt and road just slow it down when in the villige. What can I say bangkok sux.  :D

Really so where do you live I have a V8 with a full house mouse motor in a

T-Bucket and some megahones I will be sure to come by your house late late late at night and cut a few brodies, now do you think that would bother you :o

If not then you sure have thick skin :D

For me this would just be another reason for the police get extra income? Just like in Malaysia.

From 1 June onwards, the Department of Pollution Control and the Metropolitan Police will set up 31 checkpoints across the capital to watch out for offending motorcycles.

According to Mr. Suphat Wangwongwattana, the department's deputy director-general, an initial pilot project suggests that around 14 percent of all motorbikes in the capital breach the 95 decibel limit.

There are thought to be a staggering 2.5 million motorcycles on the streets of the capital, with noise pollution a particular problem in inner city areas, such as Yaowarat or the Chinatown area.

Offending motorcyclists will be slapped with fines of Bt500 under the 1992 Land Traffic Act, and will be banned from using their bikes for 30 days under the 1992 National Environment Act. 

Bikers who fail to solve the problem within the 30 days will be banned from using their cycles until they have demonstrated that their bikes meet the noise regulations.

As an incentive to motorcyclists to ensure that their machines meet the regulations, bike shops are being asked to offer special deals on the relevant spare parts for the next three months.

--TNA 2005-05-27

This is why I love living in Isaan you dont have to put up with wining falang bull shit. Both my bikes are loud and no one complains. The head copper even told me I could ride my CR 250 any where I wanted dirt and road just slow it down when in the villige. What can I say bangkok sux.  :D

Yah I agree with you the falangs are a wining bunch of babies, here in Phuket they have really screwed it up. yes Issan is a gas gas gas. :o

I gues I should have spelt it whining oh well :o

T-Bucket and some megahones I will be sure to come by your house late late late at night and cut a few brodies, now do you think that would bother you :o

Maybe you should have just said 'thick' Capt Canada42. Anyone with half a brain and even the village idiot knows that loud noise seriously damages your hearing. Been there done that with military aircraft.

Cars are limited to 85dB and bikes 95dB. 10dB doesn't sound much but the scale is logarithmic, so it is 10 times louder! YES YOU DID READ IT RIGHT TEN TIMES LOUDER every 10 dB.

Try looking at this website all you noisy idiots. www.zyra.org.uk/db.htm

Amen, ###### Harleys - what's up with all that noise?

The law is the law, if it breaks 95 its noisy and should be fined and made to be quiet!

I would rather lisen to a loud two stroke bike over a loud harley... i think the harley should be the first on the list of to-be-fined bikes.

Not that i think we will be seeing any major changes because of this latest notion they have had.

Yes you must be an advanced member!

<deleted>??? How old are you again? 60 something? Grow up.

Good, i dont like anything to loud. Of course it is mainly an age thing, as a youngster loud was good, had many an old british bike with tulip pipe or reverse cone megas on them and loved the sound, but then a cast iron head plus 4 stroke did have a lovely sound to it. But now i am a grumpy old bugger who doesnt like anyone else having a different oppinion or any loud noise at all it's different! I do remember spending a weeks wages to get a noisy exhaust for my first street leagal Jap bike plus it gave me the great advantage of plus 3 mph top end speed, i was well excited. poor bugers next door never did seem to understand. I am in favour of not letting youngsters enjoy the freedom i had, to annoying old bastards like us!

Edited by Boatabike

I live in nongbaulampoo area so let no when your coming so I can get some pictures. :D

I accept noise pollution is a big issue here in Thailand. Thais seem to love an excess of noise. From the almost unbearable battle for which bar can play the loudest music in any beer bar soi to some department stores that have no acoustic control and allow each shop to have its own loud sound system down to the really obnoxious loudspeaker pickups that are all over the top in the decibel department. Then we have the vehicles on the road. I personally hate the sound that a diesel truck or bus makes with a straight through exhaust more than any motorbike noise. As noted in this forum it is a fact of life that youngsters struggling for identity want to be noticed and what better way to do it than take off or modify your bike muffler. I believe that anyone that didn’t get to do that as a teenager missed out on something. One of the joys of growing up in the UK in the sixties was hearing a BSA Gold Star’s exhaust whistle on the overrun or the unique sound of a Vellocette or a Norton International the sound of which would bring people out from their houses just to hear the melodic sound as it sped down country lanes. Back then before the days of video you could buy LP’s of motorbike sounds from the Isle of Mann TT races. People would sit around their cranked up stereo’s and listen to the scream of a 4 cylinder 50cc race Honda Race bike! Who said the Brits are mad?

I am all for making Thailand more quiet and sabai but if I have to make my Harley sound like a sewing machine I will become even grumpier and what youth I have left will be gone forever.

Stop whinging, as every Major city has loud bikes.

The emmissions from the 2 stoke engines are the problem.

This crackdown will be as good as getting the Mafia beggers of the steets, as was supposed to happen IN LAST MONTHS CRACKDOWN.

As usual F.A happened. T.I.T.

Once they pay the cops decent money things may happen, but don't hold your breath.

I guess the Crackdown Commissioner's rolodex has gone full circle - they did this 3-4 years ago

...... but at the time they also announced that 2-strokes were to be banned from Bangkok w.e.f. a date I can't remember

Next crackdown in Bangkok will be street vendors blocking the footpaths if the cycle follows previous pattern.