Expenses Thailand

eggomaniac

In every Thread about expenses, you have a range of those living 'comfortably' on B30,000,000 per month, to those where that is their entertainment allowance, for a week.

Perhaps transportation can be more easily narrowed down, maybe.

What would be the monthly budget for 'good' insurance, fuel, maintenance, wear and tear, loan or lease payments, and so on, tires? What is the ball park figures for having the convenience of your own vehicle, instead of using public transit and taxis and how much money one would have to set aside?

Let's say on a used, still on Warranty though, Honda Civic or a Toyota Forerunner level car, not a brand new BMW or Mercedes luxury liner.

---------

We had a 2000 Civic EX. paid 8k/month on the note. Fuel was about 3-4 tanks a month. Insurance was 10-12k a year.

We also had the most amazing scooter in Thailand. A purple Chaly with a Honda dream engine. Could fill it up only every 2 weeks.

<----- The sexy beast

What is the ball park figures for having the convenience of your own vehicle, instead of using public transit and taxis and how much money one would have to set aside?

I think a lot of that depends on how much/how far you are traveling every day.

I bought a new Toyota Vios 2 years ago, and the approximate running costs I incurred in the first year were:

• average 600B/week on fuel (18,000km in the year, which is driving to work, going somewhere on the weekend, and 4 or 5 longer trips).
  • 16,000B for first class insurance (this was in fact free in the first year, 16KB for 2nd year and I think 14KB this year)
  • 1,600B for government taxes/registration
  • About 3,000B for each 10,000km service

Its been about the same for the 2nd year. Of course this is for a new car (and on top of the 650,000B upfront cost).

bought a Toyota Corolla Altis CNG (factory fitted) auto gear around end of Dec 2009.

car price: 835.000 Baht

average gas consumption: 1kg per 13km

as i drive around 2.000kms per month, i have monthly costs of around 2000/13*8.5thb = 1300 Baht only :)

first class insurance (AXA) around 19.500 THB

^ 1300 Baht a month is pretty good and 2000 kms too which is about what I do but the petrol cost is 1300 each time I fill up about every 10 days (700kms)

On other posts on fuel costs TW members have posted that it's 500Baht to fill a tank and they get 350kms on a full tank, which really isn't any better than using petrol if you include the conversion costs.

^ 1300 Baht a month is pretty good and 2000 kms too which is about what I do but the petrol cost is 1300 each time I fill up about every 10 days (700kms)

On other posts on fuel costs TW members have posted that it's 500Baht to fill a tank and they get 350kms on a full tank, which really isn't any better than using petrol if you include the conversion costs.

ngvcosts.jpg