Smile Party 2 Saturday 3/4

realthaideal

The people who own/ run the bars in the Reggae bars area are doing it again, making their giant 'Smile Party' happen up at Huay Tung Tao. This time there's even more music and side show stuff going on as far as I believe. I know they're advertising thru City Life/ City Now this time, as well as all over town. This is just a heads up to those who haven't heard of it. It's this Saturday 4/3 (US style!) and goes from 3pm- 6am Sunday - if you dare.

The last party was a good time. Saw a ton of folks up there. RTD didn't get there until about 9.30pm, and things were really just getting rolling then. Sweet tunes with alot of great local talent. I hear the total headcount throughout the night was about 1500 ppl. And there was a good mix of locals, both Thai n Expat, and young n old as well. It was way fun and social. It's cool. This thing may actually put CM on the map for its own slightly-off full moon party.

Tickets are available at several of the bars in the Reggae bar area. I've heard that purchase of a ticket gets you a free shot of tequila - not sure if all bars are participating. Zoe in Yellow and Cafe Del Sol are throwing some Fri nite Pre-Party party where it might be convenient to go have a drink, score your free tequila shot, and meet some people.

I could use a shot rt about now !

And again... just a supporter of variety in events around town, not connected to this in any way.

Not sure if Facebook will let me post a link to my invite, so here's a little cut n paste jobby:

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU WHO MADE IT TO THE SMILE PARTY # 1. YOU MADE IT HAPPEN THE 1ST TIME AND YOU'RE MAKING IT HAPPEN AGAIN!

AND NOW, THE SECOND TIME AROUND, SMILE PARTY # 2 MUSIC FESTIVAL IS GOING TO BE EVEN BIGGER, BETTER 'N WILDER THAN SMILE PARTY #1...ALL BECAUSE OF THE LOVE 'N SUPPORT FROM ALL YOU CHIANG MAI'ERS AND TRAVELING PARTIERS...

SMILE PARTY #2 MUSIC FESTIVAL IS BRINGING IT BACK BIGGER, BETTER 'N WILDER....CHECK IT OUT:

6 LIVE BANDS!

- JAZZ - BLUES - SKA - LATIN !

8 DJs!

- HIP HOP - TECHNO - ELECTRO

COOL ACTIVITIES & GAMES

- FOAM SLIDER

- LADY IN THE BUCKET

- SWIMMING *DON'T FORGET YOUR SWIMMING SUIT!

- FIRE PERFORMANCES

FOOD AVAILABLE ALL DAY ALL NIGHT

ADMISSION = 200 BAHT + 1 FREE SHOT

FREE SHUTTLE BUS ALL NIGHT @ REGGAE AREA / OLD BOONYOO MARKET

* LIMITED TICKETS AVAILABLE AT CAFE DEL SOL, ROOTS ROCK REGGAE, ZOE IN YELLOW & BABYLON

MORE PARTY DETAILS:

*STAGE 1:

- JAZZ BAND

- JONADDA 70s 80s BAND

- TOOK BLUES BAND

- NANCI TRAYNOR (TRIBAL STYLE BELLY DANCE)

- MONKEY DRUNK BAND

- CHIANGMAICA BAND

- LA FIESTA BAND

- FIRE SHOW

*STAGE 2:

- DJ OPAL (ZOE IN YELLOW)

- DJ RIKKI TIKKI (ZOE IN YELLOW)

- DJ ANDY (WARM UP)

- DJ NAZZ (CHIANG MAI BAR)

- DJ ZIGGY ( GUEST DJ USA)

- DJ TYSON (GUEST DJ UK)

- DJ CASPER (ROOFTOP BAR)

D O N ' T M I S S I T ! ! !

I thought the first party was a dud -- the bands were all the same house bands that play the reggae bar area every night, and there were no DJs, other than a few minutes of generic euro-disco music played in between bands.

While it looks like they may be addressing the DJ issue this time, the bands appear to be the same, which to me is a big minus. :)

There's a bigger, two-day "beach party" happening at the same place NEXT weekend, I might hold out for that one -- I can't manage an all-nighter two weeks in a row :D

Correction, the Pre-Party is today (Thursday), not Friday. See the below:

"This Thursday, 2 days before the Big event, Cafe Del Sol and Zoe in Yellow will be hosting a Pre Smile Party on the soi featuring a performance by Nanci Traynor with her amazing tribal belly dancing and fire shows by Poat and the boys of Babylon. Free Blue Kamikaze shots just for showing up and for every cocktail, bucket, or set purchased you'll receive an entry into our free Smile Party tickets raffle where we'll be giving away 50 free tickets to Saturday's fiesta!!!"

-Mestizo

I thought the first party was a dud -- the bands were all the same house bands that play the reggae bar area every night, and there were no DJs, other than a few minutes of generic euro-disco music played in between bands.

While it looks like they may be addressing the DJ issue this time, the bands appear to be the same, which to me is a big minus. :)

There's a bigger, two-day "beach party" happening at the same place NEXT weekend, I might hold out for that one -- I can't manage an all-nighter two weeks in a row :D

Any info on this "beach party" happening the weekend after?

Have to disagree about the last party being a dud. I didn't like any of the music they played and still had a great time due to the atmosphere there.

How did you find the parking last time guys? I'd go on my scooter, but even so, parking can be hellish when bikes are parked bumper to bumper (especially when people lock their wheels! :)

How did you find the parking last time guys? I'd go on my scooter, but even so, parking can be hellish when bikes are parked bumper to bumper (especially when people lock their wheels! :)

Parking was fine. It was driving back that was the problem!

Several things here:

You can't please all of the ppl all of the time, so sorry someone didn't enjoy it. Yeah, there were a cpl bands I didn't care for much either, but like another person said, the atmosphere was great. And the shows overall were great though, and their energy was awesome. Anyway, I was able to wander from group to group of friends that I kept running into. Alot of fun. I did also hear one DJ spin a tune that was totally awesome that I had to have some young Brit tell me who they were 'We are Your Friend' by somebody vs somebody; their name escapes me at the moment, fyi. But I've already downloaded the album. If not for the DJ's I wouldn't have been turned onto some new stuff, so that was good value rt there.

Eek. You've been here so long and are such an old hand at CM n Thai life n then sometimes you have worries that i only expect a newbie to post about! So funny. Look, you go up Canal Rd., make the left into the HTT area, follow the road, go past the checkpoints, and come to the T intersection where the entrance road hits the lake frontage road, go left, and follow around the lake past the Big Buddha. Early on, if going at night you'll see the lights n hear dee music. Can't miss it ! Parking is tres easy, you'll be fine. It's not tightly regulated and plenty of room to park all over.

And one hot tip for all a y'all: A little bird tells me that there might be some bag screening going on as you enter the party zone this time. This could have something to do with so much drinking stuff being snuck in last time, or other substances. So my advice is that you plan on a little bit of tailgate party n have yourself a fun time outside the gate, then stumble your way in 100 ft away. Piece of cake.

And also pre-buy your ticket to score your free drink !

are the drinks and food in the party going to be overpriced?

Yes and no - 60 baht for a (small) bottle of Chiang is stretching it a bit but the food from the Royal Indian stall was good value.

Can i bring meself a bottle of water....?

My son didn't have a problem with his.

Can i passout on the field? will i get mugged....?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

We got there about 6:00 to find a small crowd which grew throughout the three or four hours we were there. Admission was 200 baht and they let my son in free - we got the tequilla, he didn't. Good music and a nice atmosphere although the last band before the fire show overstayed their welcome by a couple of numbers as far as I was concerned.

826535174_3ZYmF-L.jpg

826535936_2i8Jh-XXL.jpg

826536991_9S8Dk-XXL.jpg

More pictures here

Could be just be my own perception, but there seemed to be a huge number of the truly obnoxious wasted farang this time around. People were just as wasted last time, but I felt there was a more respectful air throughout. This time I found people sticking their legs out trying to trip me and my friends...come on now.

The newly acquired Chang sponsorship was another big downer. At least give people one other choice of beer, not everyone welcomes that inevitable headache the next day.

Overall it's pretty cool that these events can happen -- it's live music and entertainment at a beautiful location. But unfortunately I don't think I'll be checking out any future events. If I want that kind of party I'll head to Koh Phangan.

I had a great time, and also had the chance to perform with one of the bands. I have posted pics below that I was able to take before and after my set, and would love to trade with anybody who has more to share. I didn't stay very late as I had another show to do back in Chiang Mai, but had a blast while I was there.

3609f8178b_th.jpg

4c7c63d273_th.jpg

69807cfbe5_th.jpg

a3fcaccbc3_th.jpg

12caee5105_th.jpg

8a3ad7486d_th.jpg

b5140563b6_th.jpg

Eek. You've been here so long and are such an old hand at CM n Thai life n then sometimes you have worries that i only expect a newbie to post about! So funny. Look, you go up Canal Rd., make the left into the HTT area, follow the road, go past the checkpoints, and come to the T intersection where the entrance road hits the lake frontage road, go left, and follow around the lake past the Big Buddha. Early on, if going at night you'll see the lights n hear dee music. Can't miss it ! Parking is tres easy, you'll be fine. It's not tightly regulated and plenty of room to park all over.

:) Thats me told! You are right though! But, things being as they were this weekend, i didnt get a chance to get there anyway, sadly.

Great pics Greenside and nevermore93.

A side note for the Ana Gracey fans.. shes going to be playing on the Friday 9th from 9pm onwards at The Gallery Jazz Club (25-17-29 Chareonraj Road - Riverside area)

:) Thats me told! You are right though! But, things being as they were this weekend, i didnt get a chance to get there anyway, sadly.

Great pics Greenside and nevermore93.

A side note for the Ana Gracey fans.. shes going to be playing on the Friday 9th from 9pm onwards at The Gallery Jazz Club (25-17-29 Chareonraj Road - Riverside area)

If she's got the line-up that was playing at the Smile Party and gets funky it'll rejuvenate The Gallery and that would be great. For too long it hung onto the idea that there was a customer base for jazz standards outside of one of the hotel lounges and I got the impression things just dried up.

Glad you liked the pics :D