Railey Or Aunang Beach

mayuri

i am going to Krabi for 1st time so need advise..

i read reviews that in west railey beach longtail boats make lots of noices and spoil the atmosphere.

anyone who has been to railey beach please share ur experience..

if railey is over-hyped then we will book resort in aunang beach

thanks

I was in krabi for the first time a few months ago.

I stayed in hotel on nopparathara beach about 2 mins motorbike from ao nang beach. I also went to railay for a day on a long tail boat - I can't remember exact cost but it wasn't anything extraordinary, THB100-200 return iirc.

both beaches are nice in their own way:

ao nang beach road is good for western comforts (if that's your thing) - mcdonalds, BK, pizza company etc, a few bars too but they're not really up to much.

I noticed alot of western couples on the go in ao nang, honeymoon types, and I think ao nang must be aimed at that type of customer.

the long tail boat to railay didn't take long - 20 mins or something. railay beach was nice but very quiet. I think railay must be aimed at scandinavians - I'd say the vast majority of people on the beach the day I went were scandinavian.

1 thing I'll never forget about railay beach was the unbelievable amount of scando talent - my eyes were popping out of my head. :D:D:D:):D

Railey is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Aonang is pleasant but like many other beach resorts in Thailand. We stayed at a lovely resort called Sunrise - not sure but I think it was on east Railey. We went by boat from Krabi Town, a much longer trip (about 30-40 minutes), quite exciting ;^) since the boat travels over open ocean...

As someone else said, it depends what you want. I wouldn't recommend staying in Railey in the rainy season or when storms are forecast as you might get stuck there. The boats are quite small and open... on our way back to Krabi Town we got absolutely soaked with sea water (this was in February).

Have fun. Krabi Town is also very pleasant and friendly.

DoctorD

The other members have given sound advice, do the daytrip to Railay be sure to get back to the longtail boat to get back to Ao Nang at 5:00.

If you wait until 6:00, they will say cannot and charge you something outrageous.

Also, do an afternoon and evening in Krabi town. Better prices on shopping, good food on the pier at the river. really nice. Krabi town completely underrated.

I have stayed in Railey a few times. First time was July 2001 and loved it. Went back again inpeak season and didnt enjoy it as much. But have been back since. Definately one of the most beauiful places i've been in Thailand. But then again around Krabi is pretty special anyway.

I was down there a few months ago for the first time. I didn't make it to Railay but Ao Nang has got everything you might need really, I was only there a few days and spent my time going to Maya Bay, Phi Phi and I had a drive down to Koh Lanta, which is also a very nice place.

Lots of places to stay in Ao Nang, I stayed at Ao Nang Villa Resort and it was very nice. I looked at every other beach on the mainland and that place had the most going for it. As Game4shame says Noppharratara Beach is only a couple of minutes away and it is quiter there, if that is what you want. Just remember, if you stay in Railay you are stuck there for the night with limited things to do.

John.....

I have stayed in Railey a few times. First time was July 2001 and loved it. Went back again inpeak season and didnt enjoy it as much. But have been back since. Definately one of the most beauiful places i've been in Thailand. But then again around Krabi is pretty special anyway.

agreed. krabi area has - without doubt - the most amazing scenery I've seen in thailand.

I went on the hong island tour from ao nang and the water was crystal clear near the island beaches with tropical fish visible just a few feet from the shore. :)

the steep cliff faces are also pretty spectacular.

• 1 month later...