House Hunting

folium

The estate I live on is no more tumbledown than any of the others, there are guards on the gate, but no swimming pool. Maybe we should all be posting pictures of the houses with the prices asked rather than flaming each other.

Still a secret then?

Rather interesting that I am the only one prepared to share my rental price.

My house 3 bedroom, 2 air-con, 2 electric shower room with toilets, western kitchen 7000bht a month

Next door 2 bedroom house, air-con, 1 shower room with toilet, western kitchen 6000bht a month

Other side 2 bedroom house, no air con, 1 shower room with toilet, 5,500bht a month.

PS

Only a complete fool would ever reveal their address on a public forum, too many nutters around.

Unless you say which moobaan these rental prices refer to, I suggest such "information" is useless. No one is asking you to reveal your address. Sharing the name of your moobaan which many other normal people (not complete fools) happily and usefully reveal, would hardly qualify as "revealing your address". Of course, if you're really so scared of these "nutters" that you don't want them within half a mile, I suppose you must be excused. But your information is thereby rendered worthless. Pity.

It's not worthless at all. He posted some common prices that apply to developments that are likely just a step below the highest priced ones.

(I think it's on the pricey side for the 2 bedroom house for 5,500-6000 by the way. 2 bedroom houses tend to be either townhouses (yuck) or single floor 'bungalows'. I wouldn't pay more than 4,500 or 5000 for those. No wait, I wouldn't want to live in one at all. :) )

It's not worthless at all. He posted some common prices that apply to developments that are likely just a step below the highest priced ones.

"Some common prices" !! : Do you mean "common" to Hang Dong,Mae Rim, Chang Phuek, Sansai and Doi Saket? In a previous post he says he lives "near Doi Sagett" --I presume that's his idiosyncratic spelling of Doi Saket. I insist, it would be more useful ( and not life threatening) to know the moobaan to which he so coyly refers.

Another point that may be missed:

Many of today's 'high end' developments will be tomorrow's derelict 'tumbleweed' developments.

Before I'm ready to call a development high-end, I want it to exist for 5-10 years AFTER the vast majority of the plots have been sold.

It depends on the type of people buying/renting there as much as on the original effort put in by the developer.

Ideally, ALL plots should be over 100 sq. wa (the more the better), and ALL houses 4 bedrooms or more, parking for 2 cars, etc. As soon as you also have a section of 'cheapo' houses (or even townhouses) in there, soon the riff raff will move in, thus brining the entire development down. (When a significant number of owners don't want to pay for upkeep in the long run, then fewer and fewer people will pay, meaning all the services and infrastructure disappears. (This is of course more important when buying compared to renting.)

"Some common prices" !! : Do you mean "common" to Hang Dong,Mae Rim, Chang Phuek, Sansai and Doi Saket?

And Sankypang and Sarrypee, yes. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Reason for edit - deleted my entire response. Life is too short.

I took my wife to lunch at the Chedi last month and 'wasted' a month's worth of your rent on good food and fine wine. Each to their own, whatever makes you happy.

Edited by OOB

If I may just nitpick for a moment

I presume that's his idiosyncratic spelling of Doi Saket

If you speak to a Thai person they will pronounce the town name as "Doi Sagett"

The transliterated name written in English "Doi Saket" sounds so different to the Thai pronunciation that a Thai will most likely answer with the infuriating "Arai Na?" to a foreigner asking to go to "Doi Saket"

ดอยสะเก็ด = Doi Sagett (or Doy Sagett)

I rarely look at English script on the signposts these days, and prefer to read the Thai.

If you don't believe me, ask a Thai how to pronounce the name of the town.

(am I correct in my assumption that you speak almost no Thai and can't read or write Thai at all?).

Edited by sarahsbloke

what i hope is my only reply on the topic of pronunciation:

it depends on the amount of exposure the thai person has had to western peoples and to western pronunciation.

In the 8 months i have lived here and the previous 12 trips i have made to the area over the last decade, i have never had a single thai person question me when i speak of Doi Saket. Maybe they are just being thai and smiling to amuse the dumb falang, but i have always gotten, say, the directions to doi saket, or the answers to my questions framed in such a way that i know they understood Doi Saket.

Even my thai wifes family, who only have visited here once or twice understand me when i use the words doi saket and they live in BKK and Nakhon Sawan.

what i hope is my only reply on the topic of pronunciation:

it depends on the amount of exposure the thai person has had to western peoples and to western pronunciation.

In the 8 months i have lived here and the previous 12 trips i have made to the area over the last decade, i have never had a single thai person question me when i speak of Doi Saket. Maybe they are just being thai and smiling to amuse the dumb falang, but i have always gotten, say, the directions to doi saket, or the answers to my questions framed in such a way that i know they understood Doi Saket.

Even my thai wifes family, who only have visited here once or twice understand me when i use the words doi saket and they live in BKK and Nakhon Sawan.

'scuse me jumping in on this one.. surely if we are living here we should go out of OUR way to get the pronunciation correct,,, not the Thais having to work out what we are talking about... if thais do not understand or think your pronunciationis wrong they will not say anything or direct you where THEY think you want to go,, it is not polite in Thai culture to correct other people.. (if and unless they know youvery well!!)just athought ,, since we have been her eover 20 years,, but know many farangs who have been here as long and cant put a sentence togehte rin thai,,yet !!

There are some houses for rent on the Moo Baan I live on, and you can virtually walk to Lanna School.

Moo Baan has a swimming pool and as the development is only 30 houses at present so the pool is pretty quiet.

I know there is a 3 bed one at 15k approx, but its been empty a while, same with a four bed with a big plot.

However Land & House are building a big project next door and that may put you off.

But could be worth a look.

PM me if you want more info

If I may just nitpick for a moment

(am I correct in my assumption that you speak almost no Thai and can't read or write Thai at all?).

Absolutely correct. And I therefore leave this erudite matter in the more capable hands of others.Though when I lived in Mae Rim, few people understood my pronunciation of it because they seem to say Mae Lim. That doesn't prompt me to write it as they pronounce it.

Speaking of assumptions, if I might digress for a moment, I assume your moo baan is a few kms. before Doi Saket/ Doi Sagett on the 118 but is it on the right or the left going North? Go on, be a devil, give me a clue. I'll come clean and tell you why I'm so persistantly curious. I live in Baan Veang Doi near Doi Saket and I'm naturally interested in nearby moo baan prices.There is one moo baan 3kms before Doi Saket on the left with a grand looking entrance right on the roadside but not a word in English. All Thai lettering. Maybe that's what attracted you.Trouble is, there's lots of other moo baans dotted about the countryside near here, all completely invisible from the road. Maybe you're ensconced in one of those.

Ban Kwan Wiang, Hang Dong have many mid range properties for rent /sale, thanks the banks.

It's a very safe and friendly village,beautiful pool and gym. rent a 2/3 bed for about 5000b/mth.

Ask the som tham lady or at the clubhouse , they will be happy to help you tour the village.I think you can see the pool online kwanwiangclubhouse.com you have to pay community charge of about 250/ mth and buy your own refuse bags @ 8 baht each not too many dogs at the moment.

Many years ago we were offered a surprisingly spacious house in Bang Kwian for only 5,000 THB rent. Even then this was considered cheap. I realised the reason for this when -during our visit to the premises- I saw a commercial air liner approx. 600 feet above my head: Ban Kwiang lies exactly on the approach path to Chiang Mai airport.

It is still possible to find houses for 5,000-8,000 THB rent, but these are probably neither first rate nor in the best locations. For the same budget one can rent a student flat in the city. A typical 100-150 sqm house in a middle class moo baan near the ring roads (recent build) costs 12,000-15,000 THB. Starting at 20,000 THB, one can find rather nice family homes with a decent size garden and from 40,000 upwards, one can find what is considered "luxury property" here.

Cheers, CMX